Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Battery Life Tests: Tri-Cree LED + Obsidian Lite tests  (Read 6336 times)
Old Bean Kenobi
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 62

« on: January 04, 2016, 01:50:39 AM »

Since I have seen a bunch of forums concerned with battery life for AAA sabers, and ones with the Obsidian Lite soundcard combined with the Tri-LED setup in particular, I decided to do some testing to get some numbers that people could reference. I *believed* that I was getting around 2 hours with the following setup in non-continuous use, but I decided to pop in a fresh set of batteries and run a continuous test to get an accurate measurement.

Saber:
Graflex SE with Obsidian Lite soundcard, Guardian Blue Tri-LED, non-illuminated switch.

Batteries tested:
Duracell Ion Core AAA NiMH rechargable AAA batteries (850mAH/battery)

Meter used:
Keuwlsoft Light Meter app on Android smartphone. Measurements in LUX (lumens/meter squared)

Testing methodology:
Fire on saber, rest blade over light sensor, leave saber undisturbed, record measurements. Testing done at night with constant lighting to rule out background light variation.

Start Time:
0min: 1100lux
30min mark:950lux, first visual notation of dimming of blade, no issues with sound.
60min mark:350 lux, blade begins to flicker, no issues with sound.
75min mark: saber shuts down due to battery depletion

So with 850mAH AAA NiMH batteries, you get 75 minutes of runtime with the Tri-LED + Lite + no illuminated switch setup.

I would assume that based on a 15% higher capacity, you should be able to get around 90 minutes with 1000mAH batteries with the same setup. These would be the Tenergy Premium AAAs, for example. The batteries should have their ratings stamped on the casing. I haven't seen any reliable batteries with more than 1000mAH; higher ratings seem to come from questionable manufacturers.

I do not have another saber currently so I cannot provide any info on battery life on standard LEDs, mixed diode LEDs, or similar numbers on Li-Ion setups. Since I provided how I did the testing, if others want, they can use the same testing methodology and provide their numbers. Please note that this had no effect on the phone in terms of the constant exposure to the LED (no burn-in or other issues).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:54:02 AM by Old Bean Kenobi » Logged

Curious about battery life on a AAA battery setup with Tri-LED and Obsidian Lite? Check this thread:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=27171.0

Sabers: Graflex SE in Tri-GB/Obsidian LITE, Overlord in Tri-CG/Obsidian v4, Emerald Scorpion/Obsidian V4, Emerald Fulcrum/Obsidian V4, Fulcrum in "violent amethyst"/Obsidian V3.

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:42:28 AM »

Very informative, are you willing to try this again to see if you get the same results? Overall, thank you for putting in the time, light point given!

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

Old Bean Kenobi
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 03:18:58 AM »

Very informative, are you willing to try this again to see if you get the same results? Overall, thank you for putting in the time, light point given!

I'll be doing a test later this week with the 1000mAH batteries to confirm my hypothesis about the degree of extra battery life.

What I would like to see is this test run on a saber with a single point of difference from mine (i.e. 850mAH batteries + Obsidian LITE+nonAV switch+Single LED GB) to determine what the difference is in battery life is between a Tri-LED and Single LED saber. One user did a review on an Menace CE with Tri-Blazing Red where he noted the blade appeared identical to a single-LED Blazing Red LED saber; if we can determine no difference in Lux/Lumens AND an X% decrease in battery life with Tri-LED, that would be useful information for US to determine if Tri-LED should be offered on AAA/LITE sabers in general.

Curious about battery life on a AAA battery setup with Tri-LED and Obsidian Lite? Check this thread:

Sabers: Graflex SE in Tri-GB/Obsidian LITE, Overlord in Tri-CG/Obsidian v4, Emerald Scorpion/Obsidian V4, Emerald Fulcrum/Obsidian V4, Fulcrum in "violent amethyst"/Obsidian V3.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:39:16 AM »

I can't comment on this set up particularly, but I know on my older AB shock stunt sabers I get between 1.5 and 2.5 hours life (I allow 2 hrs per set) with lithium ion and buckpuck set up with the standard Trustfire 900mAh batteries, pretty much constantly running the LEDs. I have never timed it exactly, but I have done so many costuming events I know their expected run time. Older batteries that I have abused by severely flattening or storing flat, I can expect to get half that.

I tried a different brand of 14500 Li ion battery with protection and stating they were 2300mAh, but they obviously measure their ratings a little bit differently- after an hour or so they started going very dim and my Arctic Blue MLS's both turned into Sunriders Destiny and got very dim Tongue Sticking to trustfires it is then! I know other people that use these other batteries with no problems in their armour set ups, so ours will go into armour where voltage drop isn't as much of an issue and running our new droid.

I am impressed with the runtime you have gotten out of yours however, it's good ballpark info for when friends ask me for advice in buying an US (I am the local go-to gal in our costuming circle when it comes to them lol Tongue ) so point to you for that

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Old Bean Kenobi
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 01:37:07 AM »

Testing completed with Tenergy Premium batteries (1000mAH); this was due to a tip from another Saberforums poster. I don't recall the name but I know they got either a Dark or Light side point for it.

Results are posted as Time--LUX--Misc notes
630pm--1350 Lux--full charge
640pm--1280 Lux
650pm--1270 Lux
700pm--1250 Lux
710pm--1200 Lux--very slight dimming noted
720pm--650 Lux--moderate dimming noted, faint flickering noted
730pm--470 Lux
740pm--420 Lux
750pm--400 Lux
800pm--350 Lux--significant dimming noted
810pm--280 Lux
820pm--120 Lux--heavy flickering noted
825pm--0 Lux--battery shutdown

So with good 1000 mAH AAA rechargable NiMH batteries, the saber I originally posted had two hours of runtime total, with 90 minutes of what I would term "usable runtime" (you can tell the blade was lit and brighter than store-bought saber toys).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 01:55:48 AM by Old Bean Kenobi » Logged

ArtoriusaurusRex
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 41

From the Ashes a fire shall be woken...

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 02:55:24 PM »

Impressive difference between the first and second test.

Do you think an 1100mAH set of batteries would make an equally substantial difference?

Or Li-ion AAA's?

I'm not asking you to make these tests, just for your opinions. Tongue

A Light from the Shadow shall spring...

Old Bean Kenobi
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 11:28:36 PM »

Impressive difference between the first and second test.

Do you think an 1100mAH set of batteries would make an equally substantial difference?

Or Li-ion AAA's?

I'm not asking you to make these tests, just for your opinions. Tongue

If you can find 1100 or 1200Mah batteries, you should see some improvement, but I think it would be more of a logrithmic thing (20% more mAH provides 10-15% more life, or something like that)

You would have to completely rewire a saber to take 10440 Li-Ion (AAA sized) batteries, so any guesses I have would be speculative.

Blackstar1331
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 21

Rogue Jedi

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 10:27:40 PM »

This was super helpful. Light side/dark side points for all of you. Right now I'm trying to choose between Obsidian Lite with Standard Setup Vs V4 with Li-Ion Buckpuck Setup. (Both in Regular Guardian Blue.)
Reading this, I think I might be fine with Obsidian Lite with Standard Setup. Cheesy

Owned: Dark Sentinel (Guardian Blue with Obsidian Lite Setup)
Wishlist: Flamberge (Blazing Red) / Shock (Adegan Silver) / Graflex SE (Arctic Blue)

Peink ITA
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 12:30:57 PM »

The Rechargable AAA you're using are 1.2V? I want to buy these http://www.amazon.it/Varta--5703B-Batterie-Ricaricabili-Pezzi/dp/B000IGW3JC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1457970363&sr=8-4&keywords=batterie+AAA+ricaricabili

The blade is dimmer/the speaker is less luoder with 1.2V instead of 1.5V batteries? I can't find 1.5V rechargable....

PS: I'm going to buy 2 packs of these, so lifetime isn't a problem, the problem is the light and the sound...

my saber: Dark Apprentice V4, TRI-CREE Blazing Red, AAA Setup, Obsidian LITE.

The Force will set me free.
Dark side points please Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: