Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Sentinel yellow lightsaber questions  (Read 3661 times)
Wulfra
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 10, 2016, 01:40:18 AM »

So I'm strongly considering putting together a SY blade, and I've seen so many awesome pictures that I'm really tempted, but I want to be able to make the right choice before I do.
Things to note:

I do plan on cosplaying with it, so I would like the color to be nice and bright!
I do plan on dueling with it, so I would like for it to be able to take a beating!

SO, onwards to the questions regarding color quality.

Color: Sentinel Yellow specifically, or Tri-Cree LED Adegan Silver with Color Discs to figure out my own shade?
Blade: MG, HG, or UEHG?

Many thanks in advance for the assistance.  If I had the money to afford the Emerald setup I would, but that's outside of my budget.

(Also I accidentally posted this in the customization sub forum as well.  My bad!!  I'm trying to figure out how to delete it)

Thanamira
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 144

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 01:42:27 AM »

Depends if brightness or the exact shade of yellow matters.  To me, brightness is much more important, so I'd get SY over fliters anyday.

For yellow, I think UE looks great.

For dueling, I recommend HG.

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
www.bostonlightsaber.com

Light side points appreciated!
Thanamira school of staff aesthetic preference: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32415.msg492503#msg492503

Wulfra
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 01:45:15 AM »

So even a tri led setup wouldn't be as bright as a normal SY setup?  Hmmmm, so many things to consider.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 02:05:20 AM »

This is a tough call because you can get some really nice brighter to golden yellows using the AS and either color discs or gel filters.  Would use the white film UE blades and not the standard silver foil MG and HG.

Emory says that the most noticeable Tri-Cree are the AS and FO.  Not sure how hot the Tri LED gets when using a disc or filter.  If you are only getting one SY the shade many not matter as much when compared to a staff.  What is important is whether the saber has sound or is a stunt, to get the Li-Ion with buckpuck battery set up.  Will keep the mixed colors truer until the battery power wears down.   Smiley

Wulfra
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 02:12:43 AM »

This is a tough call because you can get some really nice brighter to golden yellows using the AS and either color discs or gel filters.  Would use the white film UE blades and not the standard silver foil MG and HG.

Emory says that the most noticeable Tri-Cree are the AS and FO.  Not sure how hot the Tri LED gets when using a disc or filter.  If you are only getting one SY the shade many not matter as much when compared to a staff.  What is important is whether the saber has sound or is a stunt, to get the Li-Ion with buckpuck battery set up.  Will keep the mixed colors truer until the battery power wears down.   Smiley

Thank you for the feedback!  I am in fact planning on getting sound in my hilt, so you recommend the buck puck setup?

I'll definitely ping Emory about hear from tri led on the color discs.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 02:30:06 AM »

If you are getting the LITE version you can only use the x4 AAA batteries.  If getting the v3 or V4 Obsidian then you must get the Li-Ion with buckpuck.  The buckpuck keeps the blade color truer till the battery power runs out and the saber cuts out or turns off.  Highly suggest paying a bit more for the v4 with the multiple fonts and silent mode if you can.

If you choose the LITE version with the Tri-Cree LED and the FoC option it appears that the battery run time is shorter.  You can only have the single dye Tri LED and not a mixed color with a LITE version. 

The only difference between the UE and standard blades is the color of the light diffusing film.  The HG blades are double the wall thickness and weight of either of the MG blades.   Smiley
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:50:12 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Wulfra
Force Sensitive

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 02:35:43 AM »

I'm definitely springing for the obsidian soundboard, so that I can have the rechargeable setup.

I'm really not worried about FoC to be honest, I just want a nice durable bright blade.  I have pinged Emory about heat output from tri and if it might damage the color discs.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 03:25:00 AM »

I'm definitely springing for the obsidian soundboard, so that I can have the rechargeable setup.

I'm really not worried about FoC to be honest, I just want a nice durable bright blade.  I have pinged Emory about heat output from tri and if it might damage the color discs.

Bear in mind that the tri-cree isn't three LEDs that are each as bright as the single one, they're three that are individually weaker than a single, but together make for a little brighter, fuller blade.  Heat output isn't going to be much more than a normal single LED saber, I would bet that the discs will be fine.

Wulfra
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 03:52:05 AM »

Bear in mind that the tri-cree isn't three LEDs that are each as bright as the single one, they're three that are individually weaker than a single, but together make for a little brighter, fuller blade.  Heat output isn't going to be much more than a normal single LED saber, I would bet that the discs will be fine.

Ohhhh that I wasn't aware of.  So doing a tri AS setup with discs may not be the best of options then, because of blade dimming. 

It sounds like I should go straight SY with UEHG.  I didn't see UEMG as a standard option in the list of blades.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 04:05:51 AM »

Although in principle I agree with shade_1313, the Tri AS is supposed to be 20% brighter than the single diode.  Some members have mentioned that their LED and housing gets warm so it's good to be aware.  The gel filters are made to withstand heat from theatrical lightning but plastic discs, I can't say for sure if using saber for extended periods.

The UEMG blades should be included on the blade options when ordering, unless they are out of stock and temporarily removed from the blade choice.

If you are sure that you are not going to want to switch out the blade color, then go with the SY LED.   Smiley

Wulfra
Force Sensitive

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 06:41:00 AM »

They definitely have UEMG's in stock to order separately.  I don't really want to drop an extra $60 for two blades for my double setup.  I'll follow up with that in my email to see if it's an option I can request during checkout, considering I already would have to specifically request the SY color.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 06:31:17 PM »

I have an AS blade with a yellow filter to make SY.  It is not noticeably dimmer than my straight SY blades, and it doesn't have any red/green bleed issues like one of my SYs has.  Just make sure you install fresh batteries and you get a really bright, colorful blade.

With filters in general, I've found that "light" colors like yellow or pink or light blues work OK, but darker colors like full-on GB or red dim quite a bit more.  Yellow is probably the most successful color with the filters (I have lee LED filters cut from a swatch-book, not the disks, FYI) though I've also gotten a really nice and quite interesting orange color.  :-)

The Tri-Cree AS is probably a little brighter than the normal AS, and it would likely make a very brilliant SY with a good filter. 

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Wulfra
Force Sensitive

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 03:15:56 PM »

Thank you for the input Karmack!  I will definitely chase down the tri-cree led setup.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: