Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: A Few Questions Regarding Sabers  (Read 5215 times)
123outerme
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 43

I prefer Light Side points. Not that I'll get any

« on: January 13, 2016, 10:05:44 PM »

Hi, it's me again (that guy who wanted to cheap out on everything) and now that I have been rewarded for my Jedi mission on [classified location; redacted], I have some extra spending money to work with, and have done everything but press the "Add to Cart" button, and I have questions regarding some new options available and things I didn't think about before:

1 - Regarding the Aeon V4, how deep does the blade socket go? I'm looking as to how I'll store my saber in my closet when I'm not pretending to be cool.
1.5 - What is the ideal way to store the physical saber? Blade out, blade in, anything else I should know about other than batteries? I'm thinking of leaving my 32" UEHG in, and have it supported by the beams that hold up the shelf above it, with one beam planned to be on the hilt, one on the blade, as close to the hilt as possible. These are stable and it worked for other objects I stored.

2 - How does one remove a blade plug? I can't for the life of me figure out how to pop it out just based on the pictures (in the pictures, it's flush with the saber).
2.5 - How long is the standard 6$ blade plug?

3 - At what point are the Li-Ion batteries considered "discharged" (aka able to be recharged, but carry no usable charge)? Is this at 0 or 2.7, or what? Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.

4 - Are there any things a first-time owner should know about that could damage the electronics? In general?

5 - How visually appealing is the black guarded switch? Is it worth the $10+ to get an AV switch?

6 - How is the status of US' recent backup? I've heard reports that it's clearing up, but I'm not sure. Is there some expected point where the orders will resume to their usual speed?

Thanks for answering my questions again, and may the force be with you.

-If I'm not me, who's anybody?
Saber: Aeon V4 w/ Obsidian V3 - Guardian Blue

GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:12:59 PM »

Hi, it's me again (that guy who wanted to cheap out on everything) and now that I have been rewarded for my Jedi mission on [classified location; redacted], I have some extra spending money to work with, and have done everything but press the "Add to Cart" button, and I have questions regarding some new options available and things I didn't think about before:

1 - Regarding the Aeon V4, how deep does the blade socket go? I'm looking as to how I'll store my saber in my closet when I'm not pretending to be cool.
1.5 - What is the ideal way to store the physical saber? Blade out, blade in, anything else I should know about other than batteries? I'm thinking of leaving my 32" UEHG in, and have it supported by the beams that hold up the shelf above it, with one beam planned to be on the hilt, one on the blade, as close to the hilt as possible. These are stable and it worked for other objects I stored.

2 - How does one remove a blade plug? I can't for the life of me figure out how to pop it out just based on the pictures (in the pictures, it's flush with the saber).
2.5 - How long is the standard 6$ blade plug?

3 - At what point are the Li-Ion batteries considered "discharged" (aka able to be recharged, but carry no usable charge)? Is this at 0 or 2.7, or what? Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.

4 - Are there any things a first-time owner should know about that could damage the electronics? In general?

5 - How visually appealing is the black guarded switch? Is it worth the $10+ to get an AV switch?

6 - How is the status of US' recent backup? I've heard reports that it's clearing up, but I'm not sure. Is there some expected point where the orders will resume to their usual speed?

Thanks for answering my questions again, and may the force be with you.
1. I do not know how deep the socket goes. Leaving a blade in for storage/display is fine, and if you take the blade out, putting a blade plug is best. Also, if your saber is going to be inactive for some time, removing the batteries would be wise.

2. A blade plug (when the retention screw is removed/loosened, should simply slide out when you point the emitter at a downward angle. It will sit loosely in the hilt until the retention screw is tightened.

3. I know nothing about the Li-Ion setup. Good luck with that.

4. Don't play with your saber in water Wink

5. The guarded switch makes the saber look more like a flashlight. It is definitely worth an extra $10 for an AV switch.

6. Just order, the saber orders are definitely backed up, but many people are receiving their sabers FAR before the anticipated date of shipping.

Hope this helps! Congrats on ordering a new Ultrasaber!

-Greg

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

123outerme
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 10:18:34 PM »

1. I do not know how deep the socket goes. Leaving a blade in for storage/display is fine, and if you take the blade out, putting a blade plug is best. Also, if your saber is going to be inactive for some time, removing the batteries would be wise.

2. A blade plug (when the retention screw is removed/loosened, should simply slide out when you point the emitter at a downward angle. It will sit loosely in the hilt until the retention screw is tightened.

3. I know nothing about the Li-Ion setup. Good luck with that.

4. Don't play with your saber in water Wink

5. The guarded switch makes the saber look more like a flashlight. It is definitely worth an extra $10 for an AV switch.

6. Just order, the saber orders are definitely backed up, but many people are receiving their sabers FAR before the anticipated date of shipping.

Hope this helps! Congrats on ordering a new Ultrasaber!

-Greg
Thanks! So I guess I can't take my saber to Gungan City then Sad I wouldn't delay my order because I'm still ordering it earlier no matter how backed up it will be, I just haven't gotten the time to sit down and order the thing yet.

Thanamira
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 144

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 10:23:31 PM »

One of the options is a "blade wrench" for $1; this is the appropriately-sized hex wrench to unscrew the blade.  I always store my hilts with the blades out, but then again, I transport them on the subway, so it's much easier with the blades separated into a field hockey bag and the hilts wrapped up in my backpack.

Blades and blade plugs are installed/taken out the exact same way.

Avoid jumping into vats full of sulfuric acid while holding onto your saber.  That is definitely contraindicated!  You'll do a lot of damage to your saber that way, so please, do avoid that.

*cough*  Wink

Black guarded switch is fine, IMO, but in future orders, I will probably get the non-illuminated silver AV switch.  I think it's a fine way to save $10, or a nice way to get a visual upgrade if your budget allows.

Just order.  They're processed in the order received, so if you know what you want, order now.  If you're waffling, then by all means, consider carefully.

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
www.bostonlightsaber.com

Light side points appreciated!
Thanamira school of staff aesthetic preference: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32415.msg492503#msg492503

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:26:47 PM »

If you store your saber with the blade in, make sure that it is straight up and down. Prolonged storage resting at an angle or hung horizontally on the wall can cause the blade to bend somewhat.

Every saber I own has a guarded switch, solely because they weren't being offered when I purchased all of mine. However, I don't think that they take away from the look of the sabers, but the AV switches add just that extra bit of visual flair.  Smiley

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

123outerme
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 02:33:03 AM »

One of the options is a "blade wrench" for $1; this is the appropriately-sized hex wrench to unscrew the blade.  I always store my hilts with the blades out, but then again, I transport them on the subway, so it's much easier with the blades separated into a field hockey bag and the hilts wrapped up in my backpack.

Blades and blade plugs are installed/taken out the exact same way.

Avoid jumping into vats full of sulfuric acid while holding onto your saber.  That is definitely contraindicated!  You'll do a lot of damage to your saber that way, so please, do avoid that.

*cough*  Wink

Black guarded switch is fine, IMO, but in future orders, I will probably get the non-illuminated silver AV switch.  I think it's a fine way to save $10, or a nice way to get a visual upgrade if your budget allows.

Just order.  They're processed in the order received, so if you know what you want, order now.  If you're waffling, then by all means, consider carefully.
Thanks for the response! I am trying to lean on the cheaper side, so guarded switch will be my choice. But even though I have allen wrenches at my house, i added one so I didn't have to dig through in the garage. Note to self: Move acid vats away from the house.
And now that I've gotten the time, I've ordered my saber!
If you store your saber with the blade in, make sure that it is straight up and down. Prolonged storage resting at an angle or hung horizontally on the wall can cause the blade to bend somewhat.

Every saber I own has a guarded switch, solely because they weren't being offered when I purchased all of mine. However, I don't think that they take away from the look of the sabers, but the AV switches add just that extra bit of visual flair.  Smiley
Thanks!  I have solid surface I can store everything on but I thought hanging it up would look more epic. So I'll just put it on the flat surface. And like I said, I guess I'll just skip the AV switch then.

123outerme
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »

*Bump:*
I still need these questions answered.

2 - How long is the standard 6$ blade plug?

And a new one:

4 - How does the saber look, fully lit? Does it look like a solid color, or a fade from white in the center to the color outwards, like in the movies and several US pictures?

GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 07:46:14 PM »

The standard blade plug is about 2 inches long (just my guess), but it will sit against your LED unit and will not protrude from the emitter.

Your blade color will be a solid green/red/whatever color you get. However, when taking a photo with any camera, the saber will look like it does in a movie, a white core with a colored outline.

Hope these answers help.

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

123outerme
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 07:58:02 PM »

The standard blade plug is about 2 inches long (just my guess), but it will sit against your LED unit and will not protrude from the emitter.

Your blade color will be a solid green/red/whatever color you get. However, when taking a photo with any camera, the saber will look like it does in a movie, a white core with a colored outline.

Hope these answers help.
Thanks so much! I thought that the LEDs were so bright that they look like a movie saber, but it doesn't bother me (and nor can I change my mind, I already made the order and they won't let you take it back during the rush).
1 - Does anyone with an Aeon (LE) V4 know how deep the blade socket is?
3 - At what point are the Li-Ion batteries considered "discharged" (aka able to be recharged, but carry no usable charge)?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:23:32 PM by 123outerme » Logged

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 01:17:20 AM »

*Bump:*
I still need these questions answered.
I don't have an Aeon v4 (yet!), but I'd guess the socket is about 2" deep.  I think that's the depth of most of the sabers except for the v2s, which are more like 3" deep.  (Note Greg's comment about the 2" blade plug sitting against the LED unit.)

The LiIon cells used are protected cells, so they include circuitry that causes them to stop providing voltage before they get low enough to damage themselves.  I believe that the cells US uses shut off at 3V, but I'm going from memory and could be wrong.  The cells used are TrustFire 14500s, so if you're really curious you could look up the spec sheet for them.  I seem to recall that 2.7V is the point at which LiIon cells become permanently damaged.

4 - How does the saber look, fully lit? Does it look like a solid color, or a fade from white in the center to the color outwards, like in the movies and several US pictures?
The sabers are bright enough to confuse both eyes and cameras.  It never looks like a white core to me (unless it's Adegan Silver without a filter, in which case it's all white), but with a standard mid-grade blade I do see a brighter central core with a dimmer outer edge.  On camera, my blades appear a slightly tinted white with the true color only visible on anything they're sitting on.  (Note that mine are Adegan Silver blades with color filters on them, so they're slightly dimmer than a normal blade.)

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

123outerme
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 02:10:35 AM »

I don't have an Aeon v4 (yet!), but I'd guess the socket is about 2" deep.  I think that's the depth of most of the sabers except for the v2s, which are more like 3" deep.  (Note Greg's comment about the 2" blade plug sitting against the LED unit.)
The LiIon cells used are protected cells, so they include circuitry that causes them to stop providing voltage before they get low enough to damage themselves.  I believe that the cells US uses shut off at 3V, but I'm going from memory and could be wrong.  The cells used are TrustFire 14500s, so if you're really curious you could look up the spec sheet for them.  I seem to recall that 2.7V is the point at which LiIon cells become permanently damaged.
The sabers are bright enough to confuse both eyes and cameras.  It never looks like a white core to me (unless it's Adegan Silver without a filter, in which case it's all white), but with a standard mid-grade blade I do see a brighter central core with a dimmer outer edge.  On camera, my blades appear a slightly tinted white with the true color only visible on anything they're sitting on.  (Note that mine are Adegan Silver blades with color filters on them, so they're slightly dimmer than a normal blade.)
Thanks for the response! What do you have on your Aeon V4?

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 06:43:20 AM »

The socket depth on my Aeon V4s are 3 inches.
The Li-Ion batteries can be recharged at any time. They do not develop memories like NiMH or some of the older lithium types. If you have the saber with sound charge when it turns itself off. Or if using in a stunt charge when you see the saber losing brightness.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 07:13:51 AM »

I stand corrected.  Smiley

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

123outerme
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 01:09:07 PM »

The Li-Ion batteries can be recharged at any time. They do not develop memories like NiMH or some of the older lithium types. If you have the saber with sound charge when it turns itself off. Or if using in a stunt charge when you see the saber losing brightness.
Thank you! I'll be sure to take good care of my batteries.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: