Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Filters vs. Single Colors  (Read 7907 times)
imperialknight23
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 154

I will remember you brothers and sisters, Always.

« on: September 12, 2011, 10:58:14 PM »

Another vs. topic, i gotta stop myself,  But i guess i do it in the pursuit of knowledge, and friendly debate.

So where do people stand on the whole single color vs. silver+filters (or color mixing)

Essentially the options could be limitless on filters and mixing, but why do we stop ourselves short and just get single colors and quick dis-connects. 

what are the pro's and cons of each.

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia
Drk Initiate V2 LE AS Redemption
Drk Initiate V3 LE GB Hope
Bellicose DVA AB  Lumineux

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 12:15:59 AM »

Filters tend to be inferior to single color LEDs as far as intensity and brightness.  When you filter the silver LED you're essentially letting through only some of the light, as opposed to having a single color at full strength.

That said, silver works great if you don't mind the more pale colors and want a very customizable saber - it's nice and easy to change filters, and you can get some cool and unique colors that way!

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:16:28 AM »

im sure it depends on the filters you are using. some might not have a true color, and might not be as bright as a regular color led. lee filters are probably the brightest ive seen.

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:00:36 AM »

Nero is correct there is always at least a SLIGHT (and in some cases hardly noticeable) loss of brightness.  A filter, as Nero expertly described (darn engineering majors) does just that: filter.  You're not getting all the light.

However Filters can be quite nice.  I use the color discs US provides with AS for a nice Golden Yellow and I'm quite happy with it.  All depends on your eyes.

imperialknight23
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 05:19:43 AM »

I feel like there's more to say.

As always, you masters give excellent input.  i just wonder what people's preferences are.

I have seen pics of sabers with filters, and because of how bright ultrasabers are, i dont even realize there's a filter in there.

That being said though, it seems economical to have silver and filters.  but you just cant match the commanding presence of a single color.

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia

Daniel Anteron
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 160

No one makes a victim of those I care about.

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:20:12 AM »

It's personal preference really. The best advice I can give you is only go with the filters and silver combo if you really really like a silver blade. If you don't then don't do it. Some of the filters can really dim the brightness on the saber. However, if you really like silver go for it. And also keep in mind that you don't have to use it on just silver. For example Arctic Blue with the Oklahoma Yellow Lee Filter makes a very fantastic green color.

If you're curious as to what all colors you can make check out this topic.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=2748.0

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:34:09 AM »

It's personal preference really. The best advice I can give you is only go with the filters and silver combo if you really really like a silver blade. If you don't then don't do it. Some of the filters can really dim the brightness on the saber. However, if you really like silver go for it. And also keep in mind that you don't have to use it on just silver. For example Arctic Blue with the Oklahoma Yellow Lee Filter makes a very fantastic green color.

If you're curious as to what all colors you can make check out this topic.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=2748.0

Whoa Daniel, thanks for the pic - that is indeed an awesome color!  Artorius and I will DEFINITELY have to score some Lee filters to experiment Smiley

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Suns of the Force

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:17:17 PM »

Agreed.  What website are you guys buying from?  Cause I really would like to get some but the leefiltersusa.com website doesn't seem to SELL them... Or I'm being an idiot.  PM me the website so we keep this thread on topic.

Also, Daniel.  HOLY CRAP that is a genius green.  And unless the camera is lying (and I don't think it's programmed for that) it hasn't lost much in the way of brightness.

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »

Use the search function on this forum for Lee Filter and there will be several topics pop up where to get them.

dark side points please

imperialknight23
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 02:48:56 PM »

its been posted everywhere else but here is the link for swatch book filters

http://www.shop.leefiltersusa.com

and dont forget to enter SWATCH on check out!

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Suns of the Force

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 03:17:12 PM »

Ok for the future PM means Private message.  This is exactly what I was trying to avoid.  Thanks anyway guys.  Back to your topic IK23!

Daniel Anteron
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 160

No one makes a victim of those I care about.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 06:06:08 PM »

Whoa Daniel, thanks for the pic - that is indeed an awesome color!  Artorius and I will DEFINITELY have to score some Lee filters to experiment Smiley

I don't blame you man it's my favorite filter with my AB. And you're most certainly welcome. I figured you would approve. Smiley

Also, Daniel.  HOLY CRAP that is a genius green.  And unless the camera is lying (and I don't think it's programmed for that) it hasn't lost much in the way of brightness.

No the camera's not exactly lying. It's still quite bright just not as bright as the AB. In all honesty it's hardly noticeable. Cheesy

imperialknight23
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »

Ok for the future PM means Private message.  This is exactly what I was trying to avoid.  Thanks anyway guys.  Back to your topic IK23!

oops..... i totally missed the PM part of that post..... sorry i speed read sometimes

anyway, this topic is now a part of my lightsaber buying guide, so yea if anyone still has opinions please make them known.

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia

dreaming0616
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 67

Hawk-Bat Two Lucid

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 04:12:48 PM »

Jammo got these last week, and wow the colors are amazing!  The Oklahoma Yellow is his favorite, but being a girly girl that I am, I am partial to the Magenta one.  He hasn't broken out all the colors, but he did put the Oklahoma Yellow in my SRD, and the green was amazing!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: