Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
Author Topic: COSPLAY 101: A Beginners Guide  (Read 72016 times)
Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 02:26:11 AM »

Are the pants optional for the Jedi template? Wink

It's not a tunic. It's a KILT!

This particular robe style comes from the Highlands of Tython.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 02:41:48 AM »

Behold...a new skill..."Force Draft"!

..Although, as a Sith, if I saw someone show up in a Cosplay Jedi outfit sans pants using this template, I would fall out of character laughing hysterically because I know if would be someone from this forum... Wink

Indeed, though I wonder how con security would take that.  I suppose it would depend on...a lot of factors. Wink

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 07:12:39 AM »

It's not a tunic. It's a KILT!

This particular robe style comes from the Highlands of Tython.

I would LOVE to design a costume around one of my kilts.

Behold...a new skill..."Force Draft"!

That could be a handy skill to have

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 07:17:55 AM »

"Force Draft."  Yikes.  The Dark Side companion to the recently-observed fashion Force power known as Force Volumize.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 07:24:26 AM »

I wouldn't say that they are elitists so much as perfectionists.

The 501st and Rebel Legion have an image to uphold and are very much in the public eye given their direct affiliation with official Star Wars events, so they want their members to have the best costumes. They are picky because they HAVE to be in order to maintain that relationship and enjoy their official sanctioning by Lucasfilm.

As a member of The RPF, I feel I can say that they are not elitist at all. They are very welcoming to newcomers and are perfectly willing to offer advice, but you have to be wiling to do the research and put in the hours to do it. They aren't going to spoon feed it to you. Many of the members are industry professionals and have LOTS of experience making professional costumes and props actually used in Hollywood. Even Adam Savage is a member (though he rarely posts). This level of costuming and prop making is why they are perfectionists. Their careers depend on it, and "good enough" just isn't going to cut it. That said, most of the members, like myself, do it for fun and are also willing to help each other out.

Sadly I have to kinda partly disagree with you- you WILL run into elitists in clubs like these- but even local small clubs (of which I am part of) get the same rubbish- and sometimes those elitists are NOT the best costumes or costumers. But as Jev said you do have to take into account that any group that has gone as far as becoming a proper club do have an image to uphold and standards to set. They have a reputation to uphold. They can't just let any rag tag costume in. This doesn't mean that because YOUR costume doesn't meet standards that it isn't good. Far far from it! I've seen some amazing outfits that would never make the cut in a club like that but it doesn't make them any less impressive- you don't need to be screen accurate to look the part and look good, nor do you need master costume making abilities!

Those clubs have to have very high standards and as a result if you want to join one of these clubs you have to be prepared to take that into consideration- it will instantly shoot your costume price up. My first Jedi cost me like... I dunno maybe 40 or 50 bucks AUD for tunic, pants, robe, tabard and obi, using boots, belt etc I already had. It did the job and looked the part. I am currently making my SWTOR costume for RL entry and it has to be screen accurate- my current outfits do NOT meet standards. I'm expecting to spend at least $100- $150 on material alone, my boots cost me $50 (cheapest part of the whole thing!) and I bought a spare set as well, my belt is likely gonna be anywhere from $100-$300 depending on who I buy it through because it HAS to be custom made, and I'm going to have to get some 3D printing done for it as well.

This is an issue that the 405th Halo costuming club is running into- they are progressing from a forum with costuming members to a proper recognised club. There will have to be rules and standards, which they are still working on though they are looking at having different classes of costume standard so that those who make cheaper/ quicker costumes rather than 100% screen accurate aren't excluded. This will also upset some people. That is what happens. Even a local costuming club I'm part of has an approval process with charity approved and social approved costumes, because they have a reputation to keep and have to be somewhat professional. If you want to be invited back to events and expand out to new events you have to be somewhat professional.

Please keep all that in mind when you are dealing with people in those clubs. I try not to be an elitist but I do strive for perfection, as much as I can. This doesn't mean I think the costume you've put all the time and effort into to make it look great is automatically bad because it isn't screen accurate. If you ask me questions about how it could be more screen accurate then I will give you opinions with what limited knowledge I have, but I won't automatically dis you for it Wink I've seen some great basic or simple costumes that their simplicity is what makes them so awesome.

I will add an extra note to the costume designing/ creating process:

You have the right to make a character/ costume how you want. This includes your own intepretations on it- whether that be a bright pink storm trooper, or you've decided to have your Jedi with a purple robe, or a femmeplay of a male character- or even a male playing a female character! Just keep in mind the more you deviate from 'original' and the more you customise, the less recognisable you will be (and possibly the more snippy remarks and frowns you will get). Also if you are costuming a lesser known character especially from the huge field of anime or comic books then the general public are not going to know who you are. We Halo Spartans have been called everything from robots, to stormtroopers, to aliens, to Power Rangers, to space troopers, and even weirder things than that! That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your costume BUT you must be prepared to accept that if you aren't as recognisable you may not get the attention you think you deserve.

Im sure I shall also be yelled at for this but women (or men even): if you decide to wear a skimpy costume then you must be prepared that you will get comments and looks as a result of it. People will notice if some body parts have more showing than covered. Again it is your right, and it is also your right that people don't use your outfit as an excuse to be  derogatory or do anything to you as a result- whether that is leering or getting touchy feely. It is all harassment regardless. Put in short however, if you aren't comfortable with the idea of people taking pictures of you in that outfit and those pictures ending up online then you shouldn't be wearing it at an event. Also make sure that you keep your costume 'appropriate'. Keep it PG if you are in public Wink  Tongue  This can extend to 'normal' costumes as well- some people might find your costume offensive (whether fully covered or not). You have to consider this when going to a particular event. We had a guy turn up in a Nazi uniform one time to a charity event and we had a few members of the public very offended by this. Context is everything- if we had a Captain America and his costume was Red Skull then it would have been entirely different, even though it would have only been a case of changing a few badges over. Similarly, characters from particularly violent movies/ video games etc are often not allowed at kid's charity events because a) not recognisable and b) not suitable.

I would LOVE to design a costume around one of my kilts.

That could be a handy skill to have

Actually there is a kilted division in the RL Tongue It's a bit of a 'fun' aside thing Tongue In saying that there is actually also a RL cheerleaders division.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2016, 06:14:14 PM »

Based on my limited experience, I would say perfectionist is the right word.  I'm sure there are some elitists out there, kind of hard not to be in such large organizations like that, but the people I have talked to on the 501st's clone forum and recruitment FB page have all been very friendly and helpful.  I just started working on a Captain Rex costume which will hopefully be up to 501st standards. 

I don't think they have any height restrictions in place. What they are most concerned with is making sure that your costume is accurate and that you can accurately portray the character.

I have a friend in the 501st who is a Clonetrooper. He's 6'8 and towers over most everyone.

Height isn't a big deal.

I would love to see a 6'8" clonetrooper.  That sounds quite imposing. 
I have seen others on their clone forum that were 5'2" and 5'5" so I don't think they have height restrictions either.  I haven't read anything about restrictions based on height, weight or handicap.  Just have to have an accurate costume.

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 02:56:31 PM »

thought this was funny

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 04:48:29 PM »

I'm laughing because my own outfit could be said to fall in the "what I really wear" category.  Except it is also what I WISH I could wear too.  I see stuff like the Padme outfit and...truthfully I am not sure why it is a four-layered men's outfit is fine with me but when I see that with a ladies' outfit it makes me run the other direction. Cheesy

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 06:07:31 PM »

I'm laughing because my own outfit could be said to fall in the "what I really wear" category.  Except it is also what I WISH I could wear too.  I see stuff like the Padme outfit and...truthfully I am not sure why it is a four-layered men's outfit is fine with me but when I see that with a ladies' outfit it makes me run the other direction. Cheesy

Could it possibly be that it's because female cosplayers are "expected" to wear revealing outfits due to the preponderance of skimpy attire from both fictional characters and the "professional" cosplayers" who make them, including the "sexy" versions of regular cosplay?

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 06:10:12 PM »

Hm...I mean more that, dealing with a more complex men's outfit doesn't bother me, but something like Padme's costume I'd look at it and be like, "Nope, looks like work."

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 06:18:55 PM »

Hm...I mean more that, dealing with a more complex men's outfit doesn't bother me, but something like Padme's costume I'd look at it and be like, "Nope, looks like work."
Complex female cosplay costumes do tend to be more...elaborate.

As for the skimpy female costumes, I think that definitely stems from the source material like comics where female characters are as complex and well-written as male characters, but their costumes have always been far more revealing. Lots of reasons behind that of which Im sure we're all aware, so I can see why it transferred to cosplay.

However, taking a female character and intentionally making a revealing cosplay can be viewed in two ways; risque and unnecessary pandering to adolescent male fantasies or an empowering celebration of the female form.

Opinions definitely vary.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 11:56:44 PM »

What's a Sith or Jedi costume without a saber? But what colour to choose? Maybe this thread will help
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=28356.0

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 07:04:28 PM »

I'm actually a member of the Rebel Legion forums(same user name), as I have been intending to join as an X-Wing pilot, but that has been put on hold for various reasons, mostly financial, but also many others. Namely a lack of sewing skills(you have to sew pockets and what not onto the jumpsuit), and an inability to decide on a helmet design(you have a LOT of creativity and leeway allowed there, "no real world symbols" is essentially the only rule.)

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2016, 08:57:11 AM »

Something to consider as well with costumes.

'Do I want it now? Or do I want it perfect? And do I want to do it cheaply?'

You can only pick two of those, chose wisely and be patient.

Art cannot be rushed.
Agreed wholeheartedly. 

Good, fast, or cheap.  Choose two.  It works that way for many things actually.

Great thread.  I'm just getting into Cosplay myself.  In fact, this summer I will attend my first con.

I hope to eventually have a custom outfit, but money and time dictate that I get pre-made this year.
(Hey, I just bought a saber. They aren't exactly giving them away).

I'm getting an Anakin one - fallen Anakin of course.

The boots, vambraces, and belt will be real leather.  The tabbards are pleather. 

It's not the look I wanted, but is good.

I'm not Anakin though. I have far less hair, am much older, and have both hands.

Perhaps a parallel universe Anakin, if he never lost his hand, or got burned by lava...and got old.

IDK.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2016, 12:27:38 AM »

Agreed wholeheartedly. 

Good, fast, or cheap.  Choose two.  It works that way for many things actually.

Great thread.  I'm just getting into Cosplay myself.  In fact, this summer I will attend my first con.

I hope to eventually have a custom outfit, but money and time dictate that I get pre-made this year.
(Hey, I just bought a saber. They aren't exactly giving them away).

I'm getting an Anakin one - fallen Anakin of course.

The boots, vambraces, and belt will be real leather.  The tabbards are pleather. 

It's not the look I wanted, but is good.

I'm not Anakin though. I have far less hair, am much older, and have both hands.

Perhaps a parallel universe Anakin, if he never lost his hand, or got burned by lava...and got old.

IDK.

Just dress in shades of blue and paint your skin to match. Bam. Instant Anakin Force Ghost (the REAL one).

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: