Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
Author Topic: COSPLAY 101: A Beginners Guide  (Read 72687 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2019, 02:48:38 PM »

True. But there is an innate satisfaction from wearing something you made tailored-fit to just you.
No arguments. But I was more implying paying someone who can fabricate YOUR idea. Not as fully satisfying as making it yourself, but still satisfying that you had a hand in it's creation.

Okay... sooo I’ve delved deep into cosplay making and materials
Soooo I don’t got a 3D Printer... and I scoped out using resin moulding casts and well tools are
Kinda expensive would be good if I did it for hobby business... and then I discovered foam.... easy cheap
Practical and pretty durable... especially since I can metal plate em!
For people starting out on handcrafting their cosplay armour I’d recommend foam first... it’s very forgiving
And very cheap.... like... insanely cheap... not to mention it becomes a personal attire u can literally mould your armour to fit only you.. and the time frame is days-weeks faster... not to mention.. you can save 500$ on ordering and 800$ on your overall outfit >.> just a thought and some things I found out researching...
I have seen some absolutely outstanding costume effects pulled off with foam.

Creative out of the box thinking coupled with using existing know-how and stuff from around the house. Always nice to see when the creative bug takes hold of someone. Have fun!
Amen. I get more excited seeing creative methods over seeing screen accuracy.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2019, 03:12:24 AM »

I agree. Show me what you can do, not what you can copy
Creativity is king for me on cosplay

Makubex
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

тнərə ιѕ no darĸ ѕιdə, nor lιgнт ѕιdə.

« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2019, 11:06:55 PM »

No arguments. But I was more implying paying someone who can fabricate YOUR idea. Not as fully satisfying as making it yourself, but still satisfying that you had a hand in it's creation.
I have seen some absolutely outstanding costume effects pulled off with foam.

Amen. I get more excited seeing creative methods over seeing screen accuracy.

Beautiful!! Yeahhh I’ve started mapping out diameters for my armour and such... been but nothing to crazy yet... Christmas season and all.. were hitting the negatives these days... turning my porch into my work place.

Robyn_Goodfellow
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 155

« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2020, 11:06:32 PM »

This is my Rebel Pilot cosplay. I’m happy with the outcome... hoping to cosplay a temple knight next .

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4xkm7EFpnA/?igshid=uouo1yj1wxjq

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4xk8diFycw/?igshid=cxm1ekrq0ffi

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2021, 06:06:52 PM »

Footwear!

Whether for Jedi/Sith or anybody else, finding something for the feet is hard.

Here's a couple sources (Thanks to For Tyeth for the tip on these 3 vendors):

Gladiator-Polo : a boot company that got offering Star Wars boots when a customer asked for some modiciations
https://www.gladiator-polo.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=67_196
These are $300-$400 custom made boots made for daily rugged use. the pricing is typical for "good" leather boots

Cossky (aka CosplaySky)
https://cossky.com/collections/star-wars-1

Ez-Cosplay
https://www.ezcosplay.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Star+Wars+boots

Also consider motorcycle boots.  I found RideTec boots for $105 that might suit.  They tend to be all black, though.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2021, 05:41:17 PM »

I need some assistance!

I made these two very nice shoulder plates with deltoid and bicep armor pauldrons for an original Sith costume I'm working on. I took the Witcher pattern from Much Props (find it on YouTube) and modified it to make it a little Sith-y-er. Unfortunately, when getting to the strapping part it got a little light on directions and I'm not getting the results I wanted.

I'm having a bit of a rough time coming up with how to strap them on myself. I did manage to put a loop of elastic on the bicep areas that keeps them in place on the lower end. I attempted to attach these to the shoulder plates with a couple of elastic bands from the plates to the upper deltoid pads but it was not very mobile. I haven't figured out how to keep the shoulders on either. This is where I need the help! I would like to continue to use the 1" elastic banding (and some velcro if necessary) to achieve this.

PLEASE YE GODS OF COSPLAY...I beg your help

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2021, 07:22:26 PM »

I need some assistance!

I made these two very nice shoulder plates with deltoid and bicep armor pauldrons for an original Sith costume I'm working on. I took the Witcher pattern from Much Props (find it on YouTube) and modified it to make it a little Sith-y-er. Unfortunately, when getting to the strapping part it got a little light on directions and I'm not getting the results I wanted.

I'm having a bit of a rough time coming up with how to strap them on myself. I did manage to put a loop of elastic on the bicep areas that keeps them in place on the lower end. I attempted to attach these to the shoulder plates with a couple of elastic bands from the plates to the upper deltoid pads but it was not very mobile. I haven't figured out how to keep the shoulders on either. This is where I need the help! I would like to continue to use the 1" elastic banding (and some velcro if necessary) to achieve this.

PLEASE YE GODS OF COSPLAY...I beg your help

Alright bud, let's think.  Given that I was gonna hijack the base design for my costume and also not do the cross-chest straps,  your problem could be my problem Smiley

let's ignore the bicep pads for now.  The key is the shoulder pads themselves need to stay on your shoulders.

For my costume, I wanted these to sit on my shoulders over the tabbards and NOT have velcro between them so I could revert to the original Jedi costume sans armor bits.

I had two ideas in mind to accomplish that:

1) My tabbards are held to the tunic by velcro along the shoulder ridge.  Add a double-sided velcro strip (male/female sides) to the underside of the shoulder pad that is only fixed at the ends (or at least the end by the neck).  To wear it, you flip it upside down, slide the tabbard into position so it's velcro strip attaches to your strap and the strap acts as the new mate to the velcro on the tunic.

This is like a sandwich which I shall now draw badly in ASCII art:

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP+ NECK
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT__| NECK
TVTVTVTVTVTVTV__| NECK
PVPVPVPVPVPVPV-+ NECK
SVSVSVSVSVSVS
SSSSSSSSSSSSS

P = shoulder pad
T = tabbard
TV = tabbard under-velcro
PV = "loose" velcro strap only anchored to the shoulder pad by neck (underside so it's hidden)
SV = tunic shoulder velcro strip fixed to the shoulder of the tunic
S = shoulder of the tunic

that -+| stuff is me trying to show that strap is attached to the pad

2) I had this idea for my cape originally, but imagine a neck piece for the back of the neck that goes across your shoulder blades with "wings" that go across the top of your shoulder for these pads to attach to.  Basically a third piece that connects the pair and holds them in place.  I can't draw that easily...

3) duh. velcro.  Assuming your costume is NOT modular in that you want different presentation modes, put some velcro on the underside of the shoulder pads along the shoulder ridge axis and afix the corresponding velcro to the outfit you've got that the pads would be worn with.  If it's fabric, consider stitching the velcro to it, not just relying on the "glue"

As with all uses of velcro in costuming, do not just rip costume bits off to remove.  The glue/fabric can't take that force.  Be gentle.  Says that on my Jedi Closet garb because she uses Velcro for all these things.  It'll hold for wear, but it can't take a yank to strip out of it.

Those are rough ideas.  What is actually under these pads?  What's the back of your costume look like as well? Are you planning for modular modes of dress like I am to shift from Jedi version to Sith?

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2021, 01:50:38 AM »

The costume is just sith and not intended for much modular design.

There is a neck seal that will go over the inner tunic/shirt but under the outer hooded short sleeve tunic (not yet in existence). then we will have the long tabards (same as SirIftALot's but black…natch!) then shoulders and arms. A cape would be attached after this…somehow.

was considering some kind of elastic strap in the armpit area for the shoulder plates and let the arms unattached but adding another strap to the lower part of the deltoid plates…

…or I could just velcro those M-F-ers! ;-)

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2021, 03:15:04 AM »

...best topic thread I've seen in a while, hat's off to Darth Knox for getting the ball rolling on this one. Well played everyone. Though I hope some of those images can get salvaged/revived one day?

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: