Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: NEC Vs. Plecter  (Read 11350 times)
willfoxylove
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 16, 2016, 12:32:41 AM »

Hi there! I'm purchasing sound fonts from saberfonts and I was noticing that some say best for nec and some say best for plecter. Which would be better for an US Renegade model with Obsidian V4 sound? Thanks!

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »

Just spent the past hour or so comparing Obsidian, Plecter, and NEC soundfonts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here are my findings:

Obsidian and Plecter fonts seem to have the hums mixed in. So sounds are actually:

Hum: Hum
Clash1: Clash1 ending with Hum
Clash2: Clash2 ending with Hum
etc

So my guess is the Obsidian and Plecter boards are programmed to play one sound at a time - with the fonts blended together, you get a seamless transition from the effect sound to the idle hum.

NEC sounds seem to keep every sound separate.

Hum: Hum
Clash1: Clash1
Clash2: Clash2

My guess is NEC boards are programmed to always play the hum in the background, but to mix-in an effect sound (clash, swing, locked etc) in real-time.

If I'm right, NEC sounds won't sound right on an Obsidian board, so you'd want to purchase Plecter-optimized soundfonts.

Again, no personal experience with an Obsidian soundboard, so if someone on here could confirm my findings, that'd be much appreciated.

Roband
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -38

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 05:03:39 AM »

Koury, I've disected the Osidian sounds in Audacity, and you are absolutely right. Plecter fonts are closer to Obsidian fonts than NEC ones.

Eiter way, customizing is part of the fun of teh Obsidian board.

PASSION, yet PEACE
SERENITY, yet EMOTION
CHAOS, yet ORDER
THE FORCE, in BALANCE

Arbiter
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -8

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »

Glad someone else noticed this, if you do want a NEC soundfont I would be more than happy to add the huming in the background of each swing, hit, and lockup sound if you want.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 03:59:10 PM »

Generally, I purchase Plecter sound fonts to use with Obsidian boards.  The conversion isn't all that difficult either, which is nice.

Exilium
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -34

I am neither light nor dark

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 07:15:51 AM »

Generally, I purchase Plecter sound fonts to use with Obsidian boards.  The conversion isn't all that difficult either, which is nice.
Ummm....how would one do that?

Feel the Force within you!
~Apprentice LE v4 - Tri Green
~Prophecy v3 - RGBW Emerald Driver

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 09:56:03 PM »

Ummm....how would one do that?

Here's the link, I'll post it in your thread as well so everyone has easy access.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11033.0

You basically just have to take the WAV files from the Plecter font and convert them using Audacity.

Matth Jedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »

I'm so glad reading about this.
My US Sabers haven't arrived yet, but I like to add some fonts to our sabers when they do.

I also like to convert the WAV sounds from some of  the newer fonts into an older CF board with RAW files, but playing the RAW sounds it sounds terrible.
Playing the RAW sounds from the card itself with Goldwave or Audacity also sounds terrible as if it's way to loud and over distort.
Do I need another program for this?

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 05:20:38 PM »

I have succussfully converted two fonts today. There is a trick to it. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to break any rules but it only took me an hour and a half to convert the fonts and upload them on my Diamond Controller.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 02:40:00 AM »

I have succussfully converted two fonts today. There is a trick to it. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to break any rules but it only took me an hour and a half to convert the fonts and upload them on my Diamond Controller.

UPDATE: The conversion process is not hard at all, just time consuming. However, the problem I am finding out is that the swings need to shortened in order for the swings to register at the right time.

Or my swing time sensor is off...One of the two.  Grin

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 05:32:33 PM »

I've converted some Plecter to Obsidian and that's just it, just takes some time. I've found that not all of them translate perfectly over but I think it's rare.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Matth Jedi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 08:13:37 AM »

Thats good news.
I cannot get this right.
It seems that the Madcow Unhinged font I bought are more than 16 Bit?

Will you share with us how you did this?

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 05:45:52 AM »

Thats good news.
I cannot get this right.
It seems that the Madcow Unhinged font I bought are more than 16 Bit?

Will you share with us how you did this?

Sure Smiley

If you don't already have one, you'll need to download an audio editing program ... there's a few free ones and one that's popular is Audacity.

You load and edit each individual font one at a time.

Once a font is copied into the program, it's here you change the bit rate to 16 and the Hz to 48000.

Then save each one seperatly so you retain the originals while also having the new edited ones.

Here's a link on the forums to more step by step instructions to help walk you through it ... and a side note: be sure to test the audio before you save each one to make sure it sounds right

Link - http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11033.0

Because the Obs V4 utilizes .Wav files you won't have to do the bit of converting them to .lsu, but if you have the Obs V3 board then you will have to convert each font to .lsu.

Matth Jedi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 12:37:02 PM »

Thank you for your explenation and time.
I tried Audacity, but when I choose a file it play's very fast (I think), cause it souns very short and unrecognizable.

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 03:20:19 PM »

That's happened to me as well, and this is the case I referred to earlier. The conversion warps the quality of the original too much ... I've purchased 4 or more fonts. Two converted fine and the other two played like they were mixed by The Chipmunks. It's a risk we take trying to convert to Obs compatability.

I'd recommend playing around with the Hz levels to see if that will help, but for sure it has to be 16 bit.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: