Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Quick collection review: 18 hilts, multiple variants  (Read 3879 times)
James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« on: January 16, 2016, 10:09:08 PM »

I have a reputation to keep up but haven’t bought anything from US for a while, to so celebrate 4,000 posts here’s an idea I’ve been thinking about for a while – a quick review of each of the 30 Ultrasabers I own or have owned over the last 3 years. These are my personal opinions, and take in handling, durability (generally faultless!) and looks, as well as the various options I’ve chosen.

Aeon v2 LE; Aeon v2; Aeon v2 RGB

Pros: Slender and light, the v2 Aeon is manoeuvrable and great to use whether one or two-handed. The RGB gives you 7 different colours at the press of a button or two.

Cons: As one of the older hilts, there’s no option to include sound or the Emerald board in this hilt. I’m also a bit disappointed in the lack of lustre to the gold highlights to the LE version – I prefer the plain silver hilts rather than these.

Overall: 4/5 – A great start to my collection. The RGB really adds to this hilt.

Bellicose

Pros: A near-perfect balance between looks and usability. I’ve called this the workhorse of the US lineup, and stand by that – it’s a great hilt. It’s also $25 cheaper than the next cheapest of the ‘premium’ hilts, which is crazy.

Cons: The accent button came off mine, and I’ve never really felt confident about the replacement staying in place. I’m going to have to break out the super glue, I think. If I’m being very picky, it can be difficult to put the MLS unit back in if you take it out – there’s an internal ridge to the hilt that it catches on. It’s also not MHS compatible at the emitter (but, really, it’s so nice to look at!)

Overall: 4.5/5 – Near perfect. Buy one!

Manticore

Pros: Dat emitter... MHS compatible on both ends, quick disconnects as an option, dat emitter... I swung my Manticore around for the first time in a while recently, and was reminded of just now nice it feels in my hand – not the most ergonomic of hilts, but definitely comfortable to hold.

Cons: Being picky again, I don’t much like the taper at the pommel end. It’s a visual choice, and I’d rather that it was straight. On the whole, I think the black middle/silver ends could do with a little more definition.

Overall: 4/5 – Had it been available, I’d have got the CE version for the looks, but it’s still a great hilt

Shock LE

Pros: Flowing lines, dual-MHS and quick disconnect compatible and a nicely balanced design with enough ridges to break up the plain hilt/pommel. I love the detailing to the emitter.

Cons: Again, the gold finish is quite dull. I also find this ‘sabre to be a bit chunky in my hand, although I imagine the outer diameter is no different to the Manticore.

Overall: 3.5/5 – Probably the one among my current group that I pick up the least, but still a versatile hilt. Really suits a purple or orange blade, I think.

Dark Standard Issue; Standard Issue

Pros: Basic hilts, but the dark version has the option of vertical lines to break it up. The silver hilt is perfect for mods. I was, and am, pretty geeky about the milling of the emitters, and the slant of these is a nice touch.

Cons: Perhaps too basic? I like them, but as very straight-bodied hilts, I have a feeling they’re not ideal for duelling with.

Overall: 3/5 – When I needed funds, I cashed in on the four of these I owned, but they’re serviceable hilts; I just never seemed to choose them over the others I have.

Prophecy CE; Dark Prophecy v3; Prophecy v3

Pros: Handling, handling, handling, handling, handling! Given how much is going on with these hilts, they shouldn’t handle so nicely, but they all fit my hands so very nicely.

Cons: The ‘Graflex’ type hilt design has never really been to my taste, but that’s a subjective thing. Maybe they’re a bit small for two-hand work for some people?

Overall: 4/5 – I own three of them, and they’re all staying put.

Crimson Reaper

Pros: Just. Look. At. It! And it comes in black and blue, too! I’m particularly fond of the fluted collar, as well – it’s a really comfortable place to hold, whether at the base or around the ridged section.

Cons: This is the ‘1.1’ version of the Reaper design, and doesn’t have quick disconnects as standard. I only ever want to use mine with the yellow blade I bought it with, but the option would be nice – the interior is too cramped to allow it. You also need to be careful of the claws when spinning it (and duelling clubs will probably insist they’re removed)

Overall: 4/5 – I want a black Reaper to dual wield

Dark Initiate

Pros: A diddy Dominix, this is just right for small hands – like my kids, in fact. They like it, which means it’s doing its job.

Cons: I’m too big for Initiates to suit me, really.

Overall: 3/5 – Given the choice, I’d go for the LE version to break up the all-black finish

Bane

Pros: If asked to design a lightsabre, I’d wager a lot a lot people would come up with something like the Bane. It’s a classic look. Despite its size, the hilt is a lot lighter than it looks. The ridging is either side of the collar is really comfortable and makes for a solid grip. Despite its length it’s not uncomfortable at all to wield. It also looks like one of my favourite movie hilts, albeit that it was only used by one or two background characters during the Geonosis arena scene. And let’s be honest; This looks like a no-frills, no-nonsense hilt wielded by character who takes no guff from anyone – whether light, dark or grey, this suits anyone. I think it’s a great companion to the Bellicose, which has a similar ridged grip and non-removable emitter.

Cons: The emitter is heavy enough to tip the balance, and it’s also not MHS compatible (although the pommel is).

Overall: 4.5/5 – I sold my Bane because I got the configuration of the Emerald driver wrong on it. I won’t make that mistake again.

Aeon v3 LE; Dominix v3 LE

Pros: The evolved Aeon/Dominix line is very comfortable to wield, and I believe it’s a favourite among duellists for being unfussy and having two recessed sections for a solid grip.

Cons: I just don’t like them, though. The proportions just seem... wrong? I don’t know why, but they’ve just never really been hilts I’ve cared for. I think I might like them more if they had the collars that the v2 hilts do, but that’d probably come at a cost to the grip. Normally I really like hilts that handle well, but not in this case.

Overall: 3/5 – I’m not saying they’re bad hilts, but this is a subjective rather than an objective review

Liberator v3

Pros: Simple, clean lines with a touch of flair from the stud-holed emitter. What’s not to like? I see the Liberators as a counterpart to the Standard Issue – similarly low-key, but the slight curve to the body addresses the lack of obvious grip to the Standard Issues.

Cons: None, really. Maybe a little too plain in appearance? Hard to criticise given the low price and potential for easy modification, though.

Overall: 4/5 – It’s simple but it works

Guardian

Pros: Obi-Wan liked this hilt so much, he built a second one after the duel in Theed. What more recommendation could you need? As for me, I think this is one of the most visually impressive hilts that US make – the pommel is spot on, the balance between silver and black is great (nickel and black in my case) and there’s a real feel of refined quality to it.

Cons: The compromise between function and design means that this is a big, heavy hilt. Alone of all my hilts, I don’t feel comfortable using this one-handed. It’s significantly larger than the prop it’s based on, but that’s necessary to accommodate the electronics.

Overall: 4/5 – If you’re on the small side, this may not be the hilt for you.

Dark Catalyst; Catalyst

Pros: Really, really nice to wield. The ‘body’ of the hilt is one of my favourite designs from US – the slightly recessed sections really work well with the otherwise plain finish. Of note, my preference for plain silver/black with silver highlights is automatic on these hilts (the Liberators too).

Cons: The dramatically curved emitter has never been my favourite design – when I bought my first Catalyst I intended to replace it and never look back. Go figure. I’d also like it if there were some detailing to the pommels, but I know lots of people like the pommels because they’re plain cones. Finally, while I’ve not had any problems myself, I can never quite shake the feeling that the blade isn’t as secure in the emitter as it would be in other, wholly enclosed, MHS emitters.

Overall: 4/5 – I can cheerfully overlook all the cons because they’re so very nice to wield

Consular

Pros: It’s Qui-Gon Jinn’s lightsabre! The first one I ever owned! It’s also remarkably close to a 1:1 match with the movie prop, considering about half the body of that was cut away. It’s cool to have such a classic hilt in hand.

Cons: The shroud has quite sharp edges – on mine at least. It’d be nice if US did a red AV switch – I’ve got a silver switch with red lighting on mine.

Overall: 4/5 – I feel a little odd putting anything other than a green blade in this one...

Dark Sentinel; Sentinel

Pros: I was the first to own a Sentinel (on the forum, at least) and so it’ll always be a favourite. It’s really, really nice as well – up there with the Prophecy on the handling scale. With two recesses and the grenade grip on the bottom half of the hilt, it gives lots of options for how you choose to wield them.

Cons: There are none, really. Lack of customisation options from the fixed emitters aside, these are just really nice to use.

Overall: 4.5/5

Mantis CE

Pros: A curved hilt lightsabre made by Ultrasabers? This made a lot of people very happy, and no surprise – it's a surprisingly light hilt, considering the heft of it. The shroud on the lower part of the hilt and bulbous emitter should make it feel heavy, but somehow it doesn't.

Cons: This is a long 'sabre, and feels like it needs two hands, but I've never really been able to find a comfortable two-handed grip on it. I also never cared for the collar – the chevrons on it were too sharp. However, I found removing it improved the look of the 'sabre, so its presence is wholly optional.

Overall: 3/5 – I just don't really suit a curved 'sabre

Curved Azure Reaper

Pros: A one-off (well, two-off, JediXIX has one as well) which I feel suits me much better than the Mantis. More slender than the Mantis, meaning I can whip it around one-handed without any bother, this is (to my mind) well-suited for the precision sought after by Form II duellists. I'm still not really sold on curved hilts, but I prefer this to the Mantis.

Cons: None, except I'm not crazy about this shade of blue.

Overall: 4/5 – Da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa...

Menace

Pros: It's Darth Maul's lightsabre! It splits in two so you can go one handed, staff 'em up, or dual wield! It's insanely detailed! It's MHS compatible on both ends, with quick disconnects as an option. It comes in four colours, and has customisation options unto a fare thee well. I. Really. Like. This. Hilt!  It feels particularly great to wield one-handed, whether grasped at the base of the emitter 'nozzle' or around the nozzle itself.

Cons: With all the buttons protruding from it, it can be a little fiddly to handle, but I find it fits perfectly in my hand.

Overall: 4.5/5

So, there you are, 18 hilts in 5 pages – now I just need to buy the rest to do a complete review... I'm accepting donations Wink

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

DarthDradeus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -64

With a title like Darth....dark side points please

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 11:40:44 PM »

I'll donate some if you donate me some of your hilts Tongue All kidding aside, that is quite the impressive collection of hilts and a good review of each.

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:52:14 PM »

I shall have to consult with you for some expert advice when to comes to purchasing.

Bulvoy
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 500

~Sipra Gehaz~ Rebel Legion "Ghost Base"

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 11:55:28 PM »

FANTASTIC . Very well put together. very enjoyable read. excellent take on your view of pros and cons. stunning colle ;Dction sir. +1. at the least. love the mantis and a side note feel free to ship over the shock Le

UltraSaber's by bulvoy, on Flickr
Menace - Emerald V4s- RavenSS pommel
Manticore V4s-CG- S /FOC-Renegade small pommel
Crimson Scorpion- V4s-BR- O/FOC
Dominix V3s-SRD
Initiate V4 Lite- VA
            "Im here to chew bubblegum & kick ass, and I'm all outta bubblegum"...

THX1138
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 41

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 11:58:18 PM »

This is a great display of sabers and really puts them all in perspective...

Thanks!

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 06:35:24 AM »

What a lovely review of your collection and certainly some fine points made.  Point!  I thought I heard you say you like keeping your hilts in stock form(?) but trying a few different emitters/pommels on the Consular might ease the loyalty to a green blade on it Cheesy  Saying the Catalyst is your favourite hilt body is intriguing, I'd like to see one in person one day the silver one looks pretty.  

A friend of mine emailed US and asked if they'd do a curved Reaper for him and at that time they had one left on the shelf, a Dark Reaper.  So after some email communication he bought it(emerald!) and to my knowledge I told him it's the only one other than yours and JediXIX.  Still, a rare field of owners to be sure.  I find it's a bit funky to wield IMO but it looks amazing.  

Congrats on 4000+ posts ya old timer Grin

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

sunnycoastsaber
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 62

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 08:33:12 AM »

Brilliant reviews - Very helpful for new members like myself.

Based on the above, I am glad I have chosen the Guardian and Prophecy.

Thanks again.

(Light side points please)

Current saber list:

The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Violet Amethyst FOC
Prophecy V3 - Artic Blue - Silver FOC
Archon 2.1 - Consular Green - Silver FOC
Graxlex SE - Guardian Blue - Silver FOC

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »

Another super review(s).  Congrats upon the 4000+ posts and don't even think of slowing down.  +1   Cheesy

unde4dmau5
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 8

Dark Side Points please

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 11:09:11 PM »

Very nice review! It is fair and given your experience with buying from US, it is a very knowledge based one too!

Sabers Currently Owned
- Dark Sentinel V4 in Guardian Blue
- Aeon V3 in Blazing Red

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 04:00:09 AM »

I have one question.  You said "I sold my Bane because I got the configuration of the Emerald driver wrong on it. I won’t make that mistake again."

Could you elaborate on what mistake you made with the configuration?

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 05:59:21 AM »

Your reviews are always a great treat, James.  Probably the most thought out and well written reviews I have read .  +1

I agree that the Shock LE goes best with a purple or orange blade (mine is in FO).

Are you planning on getting another Bane come raffle time?

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:01:33 AM »

Yep, I always enjoy your reviews too James, and +1 for another excellent review here and for your 4000th post Smiley

And Haz, I've always wanted to see pics of your friends Dark Curved Reaper . . . Any chance you could convince him? or maybe you could snap few pics and post them? . . .

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 05:58:41 PM »

Yep James posting about his curved Reaper has inspired me to do just that. Thx James Smiley. +1

Link to my post on my friend's Reaper, just finished it -

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=27806.0

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 11:55:15 PM »

I have one question.  You said "I sold my Bane because I got the configuration of the Emerald driver wrong on it. I won’t make that mistake again."

Could you elaborate on what mistake you made with the configuration?

I set the AV switch to always on, which just meant that the batteries drained every couple of days (no recharge port). As it was rarely charged up, I rarely used it... It at least prompted me to get better about charging my batteries regularly.

In-series or non-illuminated for me on any future Emerald hilt Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Odin Lowe
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 03:50:25 AM »

Great collection and good reviews. Thanks for sharing!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: