Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Review: Dark Catalyst in Pyrestone Orange  (Read 6021 times)
Darth Ravin
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -5

« on: September 15, 2011, 08:52:27 PM »

This is my first US, and my second saber. As the title says, I ordered a Dark Catalyst in Pyrestone Orange, no sound, and a standard heavy grade blade, as I'll be doing a lot of choreographed fighting.

The saber arrived in a 4x4x48 box, and was packed solid with styrofoam peanuts, and the saber slid down in one corner. The blade was wrapped in plastic, the allen wrench taped to the plastic, and the batteries installed. Overall, I'd say it was very well packaged, and there was no damage evident on the hilt or the blade.

The quality and construction on the saber is exquisite. If you look carefully, you can see super fine machining lines in the aluminium, which give the metal some texture and helps add some grip the the metal. The larger machined groves that are left silver are crisp and clean. I couldn't find a single flaw in the anodized parts. The only problem I could find was a tiny drip of glue near the power switch, which I was able to scrape off with a fingernail.

The wiring is stout and well attached, and held together with heat shrink. The battery holder has a double-sided velcro strip to keep the batteries securely in place, cushion it from the sides of the hilt, and keeps the holder from sliding back and forth in the hilt.

The design of the hilt is simple and elegant. With your control hand wrapped around the choke, the saber is extemely easy to swing and spin. The machined grooves provide your off hand extra grip, and a touch of class. The four pronged "crown" emitter give a subtle but definite attitude to the whole saber. Lastly, I can't imagine this lightsaber having any other pommel but the tapered one it comes with. It has 15, 3/16" holes on the bottom to allow sound from a speaker if you opt to have a soundcard installed. I plan to attach a ring hanger used for hanging pictures via one of these holes so I can carry the hilt on my Sith costume. The ring hanger is from Ook, item #50206, and comes in a package o three at Home Depot.

As the order page states, the hilt is right at 12 1/2". The entire saber is 47 1/2" long, and from the tip of the emitter to the tip of the blade is 34 1/2". With 4 Ni-Mh batteries, the balance point is right at 4" past the end of the emitter. By adding 21 quarters taped together with electrical tape to the pommel, the balance point moved 2" closer to the emitter.

As far as I can tell, Pyrestone Orange appears to be made with RRG LED combo. using Ni-Mh batteries, the blade is extremely bright. Here's a couple pics, one of just the orange, and the other is next to my Maul MR for comparison:

The pics are from a 3.2 MP cellphone camera, so please excuse the lack of high detail.

In conclusion, I absolutely love this lightsaber! Prior to ordering, I tried out several different sabers, from PVC and aluminium to converted MR sabers, and this hilt feels the best of any I've held. The only thing I have to knock it for is the balance, which for me is a bit blade-heavy.

I'd give the whole lightsaber a 9/10 for functionality, and a 10/10 for style.

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »

I'm very glad to see yet another satisfied customer!  And Ultra will be even more pleased.  Very good review.  It's a beautiful saber!

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »

i already said this but i love it!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:08:51 PM »

Again i;m sorry what does NiHM stand for?

That looks really awesome I love my FO by Pyrestone is so much more Firey.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »

Again i;m sorry what does NiHM stand for?

That looks really awesome I love my FO by Pyrestone is so much more Firey.

HiMH stands for:

Nickel Metal Hybrid.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Ravin
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »

Thanks for the kind words about my review!

It's actually the abbreviation for nickel-metal hydride. I've never understood why they feel the need to include the word metal in there.

shyguy3000
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 72

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:48:59 PM »

Very awesome looking saber and review.

Light side Points please. =D
Consular w/ GB, BR, AB, SRD, MLS Units and Obsidian sound.
Archon V2 w/CG and Obsidian sound
Donimix V3 with DVA and Obsidian Sound
Guardian with GB and Obsidian Sound

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 10:58:36 PM »

Wow, that orange looks fantastic. Enjoy!

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 12:12:14 AM »

Thanks for the kind words about my review!

It's actually the abbreviation for nickel-metal hydride. I've never understood why they feel the need to include the word metal in there.

Stupid typo! But yeah, it's nickel-metal hydride. lol.

That color is REALLY sweet by the way. And lightside points for the bottom photo(I always wondered how Pyrestone compared to red!)

*EDIT* CRAP! I just realized that should have been a DS point! Sorry about the "Lightside point. lol.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 01:04:38 AM »

I kind of liked the hybird hybrid  Smiley

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)
=====================================================================

Darth Ravin
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 02:57:58 AM »

Lol, no biggie about the LS point. I'll post up our weekly group pic from our weekly practice, there'll be plenty of. Colors there to compare with!

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 07:51:59 AM »

I plan on doing this exact saber one day (when I get some more money lol  Undecided...)

VERY NICELY DONE!!!  Wink

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Ailric of KOTOR
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »

Whoa!!! I just put comments on your other Post in the Gallery about this.
These new pics are really really FRAKIN AWESOME!!!!
Man that is such a bright and sick color. My next saber is definitely this color.
Great review & thanks for the pics.  As a suggestion, if your blade is 34 1/2" you could always cut 2" - 2 1/2" off.
That should help your balance a lot. Its pretty easy to do & I've seen posts & tips on how to do it.
Hope this helps some & enjoy that new saber.  Grin

I am a Jedi of the Grey.
Neither Light nor Dark, but that which lies in between.
We are the balance, where one meets the other.
Using powers from both sides, We have our own code.
I will do what I must and use my powers how I see fit.
I am, a Jedi of the Grey.

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »

Try a 32" midgrade blade, might balance it well for you.

dark side points please

Darth Ravin
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »

I've already decided to lop off 2", since I keep scraping the tip on the ground. Just need to find something to cut it with.

I'd go with a mid-grade Vex, but I'm part of a performance group and everyone uses heavy-grade blades, and I fear a mid would get beat up way too quickly. A shame, I'm sure it would be just about perfect for balance.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: