Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Darth Maul Conversion  (Read 4464 times)
thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 22

Go green? Go red!

« on: January 12, 2011, 06:04:17 AM »

So this is my first saber review, but I will try my best. This is also one of the longest lasting sabers in my collection, and it has been through hell and still great, so yes, let's start the review.

Dimensions.
Maul's saber itself in the movie was meant to be a staff, so because of that the hilt itself measures a little smaller than the usual saber. The hilt measures about 10 1/4 in with about a 5in diameter around the hilt. Compared to other sabers like the Luke ROTJ (about 11 1/8 in) and Vader ESB (11 1/2 in where the blade comes from), it has better control, in my opinion, since the saber is smaller. The nice thing about the Maul saber though is the emitter design. You can fit your hand right underneath where the blade goes out and you can keep a good grip since it sticks out a bit.

That part right there underneath the blade I think really adds a good grip to it. As far as extra buttons and detail goes to it, the buttons look nice and everything and don’t seem to get too much in the way while trying to use it. Using the saber as a staff though, the buttons may get in the way after a while. As well as making the saber look shiny, the metallic finish on the saber doesn’t slip as much as I would think. It has a great feel to it and doesn’t slip out of my hand (much like the rubber grip on the Obi-Wan saber does).

Durability.
Love it. Mine has been dropped, smacked, hit, in the rain a bit, and it still looks and sounds great. It has suffered some dents and scratches and the black paint underneath the emitter has scuffed off a bit, but it adds to a weathered effect, so no complaints for that. The retention screw holding the blade also does very well. I do have some trouble with some US sabers constantly having to tighten it, not this one. The blade is a 36in mid-grade. Surprisingly, it has held up very well. I am usually one to use a heavy blade, but it hasn’t died on me yet. Granted, the blade doesn’t have to do much with the hilt by itself, but they balance well.

Electronics.
It has a red Luxeon III LED, like most, and the sound board is the original. Hasn’t crapped out on me at all, and the LED is still bright as ever. The battery life is, well, decent depending on which batteries I use. But the sound board does take a lot of battery life.

Overall.
It is a great blade. I mostly use this saber as a one hander due to its size and grip, but can easily be used as a two-hander. The saber should be used with a smaller blade, I think, due to its size, especially if you use its staff version. It can take a beating, as well as dish out one. The only complaint I have about it is the little belt clip button on it. A little black knob button you have to screw off that I ended up taking up because it was a little too loose for my standards. So, if you want an even balanced saber that can put up a good beating and last you for a while, don’t be afraid to test out the dark side with Maul’s saber.

Star Wars Society of San Antonio
Sith Shadow Council of Texas
San Antonio Lightsaber Academy

zach skywalker
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »

Good review. I have always liked th darth maul +Awesome costume

Yoda"Try not do or do not"
Luke"You want the imposible"

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 22

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:59:49 PM »

Thanks zach. Yeah, I love the overall feel of the maul. Hah, thanks about the costume, I usually do a snake eyes every once in a while around town. Then the bottom pic was an actual game card made at comic-con.

Star Wars Society of San Antonio
Sith Shadow Council of Texas
San Antonio Lightsaber Academy

Lord_BoOgEyMaN
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -23

The Sith Shall Rise again!

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »

Woot go Darth Maul, im a big fan of his

Dark Initiate V2 (2) Blazing red

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print