Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Show Off Your Tattoos  (Read 18735 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 05:16:58 AM »

I'll have to take a better picture of the side and (what I can show you) of the front of this piece, buuuut . . . here's my big one:

Those flowers don't exist in nature.  They were designed for me as a combination of a lily and an orchid, two highly personal things to me.  There's also a wolf with bamboo, fog, and Japanese cloud work and underneath that is the kanji for "Bushido."  I have the kanji for "Orchid" on my chest and those hybrid orchid-lillies around it.  I've got about 9 other tattoos, but I can't be arsed to find/take pictures of them right now.   Cheesy

Love it! Really awesome.

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 05:20:29 AM »

It's definitely fun seeing everyone's ink.
I'll eventually post my other tattoos too, but I'm being lazy.

Love it Nox, definitely want to see more of yours when you can be bothered to do it.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 05:39:08 AM »

Yeah, I'll post mine....when I can actually make up my damn mind and get one....so never.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

BlingedJedi
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 81

crystals and cat hair

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 01:59:22 PM »

Yeah, all this talk about tattoos REALLY makes me want to take the plunge and get my next one.  First ti was the Starbucks barista from earlier this week, now you all!

My sabers:
Arctic blue prophecy
Fire Orange initiat v2

Wanted:
Blazing red dark sentinel v4
yellow phantasm initiate

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 02:33:28 PM »

Yeah, all this talk about tattoos REALLY makes me want to take the plunge and get my next one.  First ti was the Starbucks barista from earlier this week, now you all!

I've wanted one for a long time, my indecision has been the reason I don't have one. I actually want a few, I just don't know exactly what I want them to be....and I'm not about to go start a half sleeve and then decide I don't like it anymore.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 02:38:04 PM »

Love the color, nox!

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 03:04:47 PM »

I've wanted one for a long time, my indecision has been the reason I don't have one. I actually want a few, I just don't know exactly what I want them to be....and I'm not about to go start a half sleeve and then decide I don't like it anymore.

As someone who has about 20 tattoos, let me just say if you want to get one, here are some suggestions (for the first one)

1- Not too big

2- Have it in a discreet place that is easy to cover

3- It should have a deeply personal meaning, something that will never change (this one is key. Many a person has come to regret a dolphin or butterfly tattoo they got on the spur of the moment. My first tattoo was a dragon. Partly because they are awesome, but partly because i was born on St George's Day and i was always fascinated by his story).

4- Thoroughly research the tattoo artist beforehand (it took me 10 months going into the same tattoo parlour every week and a looking at others before i got my first one)

5- There is no rush. It is okay if you constantly feel unsure and wait. It is your body and you decide when the time is right.

6- It is ok to worry about how much it is going to hurt. Everyone has different pain level tolerances, and it does depend where on your body the tattoo is going. But in general, YES, it does hurt. And that's ok. It is always better to expect the worst, because it never hurts as much as you think it will.

One thing to remember - no matter how much it hurts, it is totally worth it in the end.

Be careful though! Tattoos come become addictive.  Wink

Lev
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -139

An individual may die, but the Sith are eternal.

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 03:33:54 PM »

I don't have pictures of all my tattoos, or fully up to date pics (some of these were from a couple years ago after just getting them, so they look a little fresh)

Here are some though...

Bottom half of sleeve

Top half of sleeve

Right shoulder

Right leg - Yoshi (One of my friends first tattoo attempts, she is a tattoo apprentice and i let her practice on me)

Right leg - Sonic (Another by my tattoo apprentice friend, she has improved greatly since Smiley )

Right leg - Gengar with a top hat, shown off by a Gengar (Also done by my friend)

Chest - Family piece

Neck - right side

Back of neck - Tribute to my friend who passed away

Right hand

Extra work on hand (colours look a bit blocked out, but it healed fine) and fingers

Fingers

So, yeah.. i like tattoos  Grin I have 16 currently, these are just ones i can dig up pictures of easily. Currently have a Star Wars sleeve planned for my left arm. Can't wait! Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:01:06 PM by Lev » Logged

UltraSaber Collection
> Sentinel LE v4 - Consular Green - Stunt
> Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 - Custom Yellow/Orange - Stunt
> Consular - Sunrider Destiny - Obsidian v4
> Bellicose - Tri-cree Guardian Blue - Obsidian v4
> Archon 2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green - Obsidian v4
> Initiate LE v4 - Sunrider Destiny - Obsidian Lite
> Spring Raffle Prize 03/16 - Flamberge LE - 4ch Emerald - Obsidian v4

Lev4Dead YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdLfh4TpMkGTGh4PMukbTFg

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »

As someone who has about 20 tattoos, let me just say if you want to get one, here are some suggestions (for the first one)

1- Not too big

3- It should have a deeply personal meaning, something that will never change (this one is key. Many a person has come to regret a dolphin or butterfly tattoo they got on the spur of the moment. My first tattoo was a dragon. Partly because they are awesome, but partly because i was born on St George's Day and i was always fascinated by his story).

4- Thoroughly research the tattoo artist beforehand (it took me 10 months going into the same tattoo parlour every week and a looking at others before i got my first one)

5- There is no rush. It is okay if you constantly feel unsure and wait. It is your body and you decide when the time is right.

6- It is ok to worry about how much it is going to hurt. Everyone has different pain level tolerances, and it does depend where on your body the tattoo is going. But in general, YES, it does hurt. And that's ok. It is always better to expect the worst, because it never hurts as much as you think it will.

One thing to remember - no matter how much it hurts, it is totally worth it in the end.

TJ and I have talked about this so much.  Cheesy   But just to add to it a little for anyone else who might be reading!

Make sure you love what you're going to get.  I tend to disagree with the "it should have a deeply personal meaning" part now, but there's a reason.   While this is how *I* do tattoos, there are plenty of people I know who are artists and simply love the aesthetic of how a particular color scheme or pattern looks on their body.   The most important thing is can you look at it every day for the rest of your life . . .  literally.  If you have any reason to doubt that?  Don't get the ink.  A passing fancy is never a good tattoo. 

Also, listen to your artist!  If they tell you a certain piece won't look good on your ribs because it will stretch and contort, don't get it there!  A good artist is versed in anatomy as well as artistic ability.  I've often come to my artist and said, "I want this thing.  Where should I put it?"  And we discuss it.

And speaking of artists, be sure you vibe with whoever is tatting you up.  If someone makes fun of your design or makes you feel anxious or uncomfortable, I don't care how good their work is.  Leave.  There's someone else out there.  Also, if you ask to see their sterilization methods or question their sanitation and they get huffy?  Leave.  If their work is all flash (pre-drawn shell on the walls) and they have no original work in their portfolio?  Leave.  If they have NO portfolio?  LEAVE.   Cheesy

Once you get it planned out, eat something before you get inked.  I cannot stress this enough.  Have a balanced meal about 2 hours before your session.  Don't just eat some candy and call it day.  Bring water with you.  Drink it. 

You might feel woozy or shaken after your ink.  That's normal!  Sometimes, I have what I call "tattoo flu" after a long session.  6 hours is about my limit for chair time and if I push myself beyond that, I tend to feel under the weather the next day.   I learned that the hard way.   Roll Eyes  Tongue

Lastly, aftercare is different for everyone.  I personally use this gel called Sovereign Silver to heal my ink because that's what works for me.  Everyone will heal differently, but follow the aftercare instructions your artist gives you.  That tattoo is literally an open wound.  Treat it like one. 

Oh, and save your money because like Darth Knox said, you're going to want another.  Wink

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 04:07:29 PM »

TJ and I have talked about this so much.  Cheesy   But just to add to it a little for anyone else who might be reading!

Make sure you love what you're going to get.  I tend to disagree with the "it should have a deeply personal meaning" part now, but there's a reason.   While this is how *I* do tattoos, there are plenty of people I know who are artists and simply love the aesthetic of how a particular color scheme or pattern looks on their body.   The most important thing is can you look at it every day for the rest of your life . . .  literally.  If you have any reason to doubt that?  Don't get the ink.  A passing fancy is never a good tattoo.  

Also, listen to your artist!  If they tell you a certain piece won't look good on your ribs because it will stretch and contort, don't get it there!  A good artist is versed in anatomy as well as artistic ability.  I've often come to my artist and said, "I want this thing.  Where should I put it?"  And we discuss it.

And speaking of artists, be sure you vibe with whoever is tatting you up.  If someone makes fun of your design or makes you feel anxious or uncomfortable, I don't care how good their work is.  Leave.  There's someone else out there.  Also, if you ask to see their sterilization methods or question their sanitation and they get huffy?  Leave.  If their work is all flash (pre-drawn shell on the walls) and they have no original work in their portfolio?  Leave.  If they have NO portfolio?  LEAVE.   Cheesy

Once you get it planned out, eat something before you get inked.  I cannot stress this enough.  Have a balanced meal about 2 hours before your session.  Don't just eat some candy and call it day.  Bring water with you.  Drink it.  

You might feel woozy or shaken after your ink.  That's normal!  Sometimes, I have what I call "tattoo flu" after a long session.  6 hours is about my limit for chair time and if I push myself beyond that, I tend to feel under the weather the next day.   I learned that the hard way.   Roll Eyes  Tongue

Lastly, aftercare is different for everyone.  I personally use this gel called Sovereign Silver to heal my ink because that's what works for me.  Everyone will heal differently, but follow the aftercare instructions your artist gives you.  That tattoo is literally an open wound.  Treat it like one.  

Oh, and save your money because like Darth Knox said, you're going to want another.  Wink

Great tips Nox. I completely forgot about the food thing. Really really important.

In terms of aftercare, the tattoo will itch while it's healing. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO PICK OFF THE SCABS! It may take some colour with it and leave the tattoo a bit patchy.

There are lots of suggestions out there about the best aftercare for tattoos. I found gently patting the tattoo dry after a shower and then gently using cocoa butter helped me. Although I'm sure everyone has their own tip. Definitely listen to the artist and their advice. This is what they do. They build their reputations on good work and people being happy with the tattoos they have.

A good tip for finding an artist is by asking friends who have tattoos where they got theirs. It can help narrow the initial search down.

Spades
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 62

My spirit guide is the Cheshire Cat

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 05:32:46 PM »

Quoted Nox, My responses are in a different color.

TJ and I have talked about this so much.  Cheesy   But just to add to it a little for anyone else who might be reading!

Make sure you love what you're going to get.  I tend to disagree with the "it should have a deeply personal meaning" part now, but there's a reason.   While this is how *I* do tattoos, there are plenty of people I know who are artists and simply love the aesthetic of how a particular color scheme or pattern looks on their body.   The most important thing is can you look at it every day for the rest of your life . . .  literally.  If you have any reason to doubt that?  Don't get the ink.  A passing fancy is never a good tattoo. 
It is very important to get something you can live with. but overtime we grow and change. I think the best way to make sure is to have it be something personal. BUT each tattoo represents a point in your life a way of thinking or a personality that may not be the same 10 years down the road.

Also, listen to your artist!  If they tell you a certain piece won't look good on your ribs because it will stretch and contort, don't get it there!  A good artist is versed in anatomy as well as artistic ability.  I've often come to my artist and said, "I want this thing.  Where should I put it?"  And we discuss it.
yeah, it is your artists JOB to set a realistic expectation. if you want something in a location they wil give you what you want but they should at least offer you their opinion of where and what is possible. Take their opinion into account when starting.

And speaking of artists, be sure you vibe with whoever is tatting you up.  If someone makes fun of your design or makes you feel anxious or uncomfortable, I don't care how good their work is.  Leave.  There's someone else out there.  Also, if you ask to see their sterilization methods or question their sanitation and they get huffy?  Leave.  If their work is all flash (pre-drawn shell on the walls) and they have no original work in their portfolio?  Leave.  If they have NO portfolio?  LEAVE.   Cheesy
yep! make sure you like the artwork. most tattooists i have met are not really judgmental. they are judged daily simply for having tattoos. so they wont bust your chops for your work. I would like to add that I will NEVER get a tattoo from someone who doesn't have one themselves. I believe that they should know exactly what it feels like to do what they do.

Once you get it planned out, eat something before you get inked.  I cannot stress this enough.  Have a balanced meal about 2 hours before your session.  Don't just eat some candy and call it day.  Bring water with you.  Drink it. 
This helps prevent shock

You might feel woozy or shaken after your ink.  That's normal!  Sometimes, I have what I call "tattoo flu" after a long session.  6 hours is about my limit for chair time and if I push myself beyond that, I tend to feel under the weather the next day.   I learned that the hard way.   Roll Eyes  Tongue
this is your body going into shock. you skin will be pale, cool and clammy. if you start to feel ill then you should let your artist know so he can choose a good stopping point. (usually the line work is a good stopping point, also after any coloring on a section of the tattoo. you want to try and refrain from making them stop mid process on a section.) this is sort of like checkpoints. Don't puke on the floor...  thats a party foul so devinately pay attention to the tattoo flu symptoms. they are your body going into shock. treat this by lightly sipping water, laying down and elevating your legs 4-8 inches. just rest, and cover up a little if you are chilly. this will pass. DO NOT DRINK COLD WATER. it could shock your system and worsen your situation.
Lastly, aftercare is different for everyone.  I personally use this gel called Sovereign Silver to heal my ink because that's what works for me.  Everyone will heal differently, but follow the aftercare instructions your artist gives you.  That tattoo is literally an open wound.  Treat it like one. 
I use aquaphor. GENERALLY it is a good idea to keep it clean, moist and breathing.  you do not want it to scab over so keep it moist and it is an open wound until it heals. so you really don't want it to get infected. with that said use your pest judgement if you need to cover it up. you really only want to keep things out of it the best you can. and not bang it around. I usually schedule time off of work the day of my tattoo and occasionally the day after. 
Oh, and save your money because like Darth Knox said, you're going to want another.  Wink
Truth

here is mine (2 of 3)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:44:03 PM by Spades » Logged

Dark Initiate v4 (4 channel Emerald w/ Obsidian v4)

Signature Made By: DarthScrub

BlingedJedi
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 81

crystals and cat hair

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 05:51:04 PM »

1- Not too big

Oh, I've had my next planned for nearly a year now, just various things got in the way.  First I was waiting until I could take some time off from dance to let it heal and was having trouble figuring out when the hell that would be.  Then I decided it would be smarter to have it up on the ankle instead of the top of the foot, but there was a money issue at the time.  Then I started thinking that maybe it would be more special if I held off until I hit some speical milestone, but IDK part of me is kind of going "screw it, go for it"

My sabers:
Arctic blue prophecy
Fire Orange initiat v2

Wanted:
Blazing red dark sentinel v4
yellow phantasm initiate

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 06:16:47 PM »

I'd probably have full-on Yakuza-level tattoos if it weren't for my absolute abhorrence of needles.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 12:04:50 AM »

Quoted Nox, My responses are in a different color.

It is very important to get something you can live with. but overtime we grow and change. I think the best way to make sure is to have it be something personal. BUT each tattoo represents a point in your life a way of thinking or a personality that may not be the same 10 years down the road.

All of my tattoos mark significant things in my life.  Hell, I have the damn Thundercats symbol on my chest because that's a childhood thing for me.  I also have one that is a reminder NOT to do something ever again (I purposefully chose the tattoo to remind me of this) and it's served me well to see it in the mirror every day.   However, I have several friends who are graphic designers and architects that have seemingly randomly patterns all over their bodies because they find it visually pleasing.  It has no "meaning" to them.  It's simply visually pleasing and they will get very annoyed if people ask, "but what does it MEAN?"  It means they liked it and they put it there.   Cheesy   I'm a different person every single day.  Every hour.  Every minute.  The tatts are static, but even their meanings shift over time.  That's why I love them.

yeah, it is your artists JOB to set a realistic expectation. if you want something in a location they wil give you what you want but they should at least offer you their opinion of where and what is possible. Take their opinion into account when starting.

Also, some artists don't like certain styles/mediums/subjects.  For example, my artist prefers not to do American traditional, but he WILL do it.  He generally filters that down to his apprentice, who enjoys it and is quite good at it, really.   Find out what your artist is good at and make sure they can work in the style you like.  

yep! make sure you like the artwork. most tattooists i have met are not really judgmental. they are judged daily simply for having tattoos. so they wont bust your chops for your work. I would like to add that I will NEVER get a tattoo from someone who doesn't have one themselves. I believe that they should know exactly what it feels like to do what they do.

I'm iffy on that.  When my artist first started, he didn't have any ink aside from one small star on his body, but he had a serious reputation already for a light touch and solid work.  He's got a handful of tatts now, but nothing major.  I mean, there are doctors that specialize in certain parts that they don't have and that doesn't make them incapable of performing the work.  It really depends on the artist.   I certainly wouldn't pass up someone with a stellar portfolio and lots of happy clients just because they choose not to have any ink.   It's kind of rare to see a tattoo artist without ink, though.  

this is your body going into shock. you skin will be pale, cool and clammy. if you start to feel ill then you should let your artist know so he can choose a good stopping point. (usually the line work is a good stopping point, also after any coloring on a section of the tattoo. you want to try and refrain from making them stop mid process on a section.) this is sort of like checkpoints. Don't puke on the floor...  thats a party foul so devinately pay attention to the tattoo flu symptoms. they are your body going into shock. treat this by lightly sipping water, laying down and elevating your legs 4-8 inches. just rest, and cover up a little if you are chilly. this will pass. DO NOT DRINK COLD WATER. it could shock your system and worsen your situation.

Yes.  All of this.  

It takes approximately 30 minutes for your endorphines to kick in when you're getting inked.  I find that I can only sustain the high for about 5-6 hours before I start to feel off.  That level of tolerance is different for everyone.  Some people can sit for 10 hours and be fine.  Some can barely sit for an hour.  

I usually drink room temp water, so the whole cold water aspect of it has never been an issue for me.  I don't like cold water.   Tongue   I usually drink hot tea after a long session.  I've done the stupid thing and pushed myself past my limit.   Don't do it. You'll feel TERRIBLE later on.  Like Spades said, your body starts to get shocky after a time and it's no joke.   I've never gotten nauseated or felt faint during a session because I'm a masochist and love the way it feels, but it's not uncommon.  In fact, it's way more common than people like to admit.  You don't know how your body will react to getting inked, so if you start to feel sick?  It's fine.  Find a good stopping point and freakin' STOP.

I use aquaphor. GENERALLY it is a good idea to keep it clean, moist and breathing.  you do not want it to scab over so keep it moist and it is an open wound until it heals. so you really don't want it to get infected. with that said use your pest judgement if you need to cover it up. you really only want to keep things out of it the best you can. and not bang it around. I usually schedule time off of work the day of my tattoo and occasionally the day after.  
Oh, and save your money because like Darth Knox said, you're going to want another.  Wink
Truth

And don't scratch it.  It's going to itch.  Resist the urge.  Some people "slap" their ink when it itches, but I just ignore it.  Also, sometimes, you'll bruise a bit.  Even the lightest of touches can still make a bruise.  I hear people scoff about "If your artist knows what they're doing, this will NEVER happen."  Oh, sit down.  It can happen to ANYONE, especially if you have fair skin.  It can happen in a 30 minute session or a 9 hour one.  Don't freak out.   Light bruising is normal.   And it's going to be swollen.  It's going to ooze.  Keep it clean.  Keep it lightly moisturized.  It's all part of the deal.  

here is mine (2 of 3)

Nice!!  Love the font on your forearm.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 12:21:24 AM »

I'd probably have full-on Yakuza-level tattoos if it weren't for my absolute abhorrence of needles.

I like telling doctors and nurses that I'm terrified of needles right before I roll up my sleeves. They just stare at me for a minute after seeing my tattoos, and then they just kind of laugh. You can tell they want to hit me, but they're afraid of stabbing me with the needle they're holding.

BTW, I won't send pictures, but I have shark tattoos, because they're my favorite animal. I get one every time I encounter one while scuba diving. I have 3, and I got my first when I was 17.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: