Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26   Go Down
Author Topic: Sith Academy: Korriban  (Read 144262 times)
Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2017, 05:48:00 AM »

And I completely agree with Logos, Zannah is the absolute best example of how a saberstaff should be used.  Maul is probably the worst I can think of.  The saberstaff is best used as a defensive weapon, not an offensive one.

Which is odd, I would imagine Maul is a very offensive fighter.

Duel of the Fates was pretty good. Not as good, but pretty good.

So he manages to sever only Vader's remaining natural limbs and completely miss his previously damaged right arm? ô¿o

Duel of the Fates is my second favourite lightsaber duel so far. Too bad Maul didn't win. Always wondered how the prequels would have played out if he killed Obi-Wan.

He didn't want to make it too hard on Palpatine's droids. Wink

That made me think of this:

*droid voices*

"We're almost done connecting Vader's suit to his remains."

"We've encountered a problem, he lost his right hand again."

"Oh come on. Stupid Jedi."

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2017, 06:39:51 AM »

Which is odd, I would imagine Maul is a very offensive fighter.

He is.  Which is why he lost. Too many people forget that a saberstaff is, in functional terms, really a single bladed weapon.  Which, other than choreography reasons, is why Maul had to keep separating Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.  He didn't know how to use the staff defensively, and couldn't cope with more than one opponent at a time.  Fighting cooperatively, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon should have beaten him.  Unfortunately, jedi had long discarded the saberstaff (with a few exceptions, like Krell), so they didn't know how to effectively fight around it. In Universe, the jedi came to consider the saberstaff as "too offensive" a weapon, which is ironic given that it's put to best use defensively.

I will give Maul credit for using the "terrain" to separate and keep separated Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.  If you cannot beat them together, try fighting them separately.

Useless Maul trivia:  the only time we see Maul blink in the entire movie is when Obi-Wan cuts him in half.

Last thing to consider regarding the Obi-Wan/Vader Mustafar duel, in a comparison to the Obi-Wan/Maul duel: having the high ground doesn't help if you don't remember to cut your opponent.  Vader tries to jump, gets cut down.  Obi-Wan jumps over Maul, doesn't get cut down.  And he didn't go that high over him either.  Seriously, all Maul had to do was stick out his Lightsaber, and Obi-Wan would have bisected himself vertically as he jumped.  So the high ground is only an advantage if you use it.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2017, 06:49:23 AM »

And he didn't go that high over him either. 

No he didn't, he was jumping with his arm strength.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »

He is.  Which is why he lost. Too many people forget that a saberstaff is, in functional terms, really a single bladed weapon.  Which, other than choreography reasons, is why Maul had to keep separating Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.  He didn't know how to use the staff defensively, and couldn't cope with more than one opponent at a time.  Fighting cooperatively, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon should have beaten him.  Unfortunately, jedi had long discarded the saberstaff (with a few exceptions, like Krell), so they didn't know how to effectively fight around it. In Universe, the jedi came to consider the saberstaff as "too offensive" a weapon, which is ironic given that it's put to best use defensively.

I will give Maul credit for using the "terrain" to separate and keep separated Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.  If you cannot beat them together, try fighting them separately.

Useless Maul trivia:  the only time we see Maul blink in the entire movie is when Obi-Wan cuts him in half.

You're making good sense. Smiley

Last thing to consider regarding the Obi-Wan/Vader Mustafar duel, in a comparison to the Obi-Wan/Maul duel: having the high ground doesn't help if you don't remember to cut your opponent.  Vader tries to jump, gets cut down.  Obi-Wan jumps over Maul, doesn't get cut down.  And he didn't go that high over him either.  Seriously, all Maul had to do was stick out his Lightsaber, and Obi-Wan would have bisected himself vertically as he jumped.  So the high ground is only an advantage if you use it.

Yeah, but the "good guys" have to win, so of course Maul won't think if that. Roll Eyes

Um, no. The Force was heavily involved in that "jump".

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2017, 06:23:14 PM »

He is.  Which is why he lost. Too many people forget that a saberstaff is, in functional terms, really a single bladed weapon.  Which, other than choreography reasons, is why Maul had to keep separating Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.  He didn't know how to use the staff defensively, and couldn't cope with more than one opponent at a time.  Fighting cooperatively, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon should have beaten him.  Unfortunately, jedi had long discarded the saberstaff (with a few exceptions, like Krell), so they didn't know how to effectively fight around it. In Universe, the jedi came to consider the saberstaff as "too offensive" a weapon, which is ironic given that it's put to best use defensively.

I will give Maul credit for using the "terrain" to separate and keep separated Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.  If you cannot beat them together, try fighting them separately.

Useless Maul trivia:  the only time we see Maul blink in the entire movie is when Obi-Wan cuts him in half.

Maul used a staff because his Master commanded it. So he would have had to be proficient with it in all cases. The difference in technique between him and Zannah could easily been accounted for by the mere fact that he is built stronger.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »

From what I remember, Maul used a staff because he kept getting beated by a reclusive Jedi with a staff when he was still using only a one bladed weapon.  He then forged a duplicated of his on weapon and merged them into this double bladed lightsaber and was able to catch the Jedi offguard and kill him.    To reflect on the 4,000 years gone Sith Lord  Exar Kun.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2017, 07:23:14 PM »

Um, no. The Force was heavily involved in that "jump".

Yes I know, but you still wouldn't have as much power in your jump if you were using your arms as you would with your legs.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2017, 07:24:38 PM »

From what I remember, Maul used a staff because he kept getting beated by a reclusive Jedi with a staff when he was still using only a one bladed weapon.  He then forged a duplicated of his on weapon and merged them into this double bladed lightsaber and was able to catch the Jedi offguard and kill him.    To reflect on the 4,000 years gone Sith Lord  Exar Kun.
Uh.........................<_<

What generic discount store are you shopping for EU?

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2017, 07:30:38 PM »

Uh.........................<_<

What generic discount store are you shopping for EU?

Star Wars Tales #10 (Dark Horse Comics)
Story:  Nameless
December 2001

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »

Star Wars Tales #10 (Dark Horse Comics)
Story:  Nameless
December 2001
Yeah......no. I give comics as much credit for having convincing storylines as I do the cartoons.

Read Shadow Hunter.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2017, 01:25:22 AM »

Yes I know, but you still wouldn't have as much power in your jump if you were using your arms as you would with your legs.

Does it matter when the Force is involved?

Read Shadow Hunter.

I really want to, but haven't yet. Have you read Maul: Lockdown?

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2017, 04:40:30 PM »

Does it matter when the Force is involved?

I really want to, but haven't yet. Have you read Maul: Lockdown?

No.

and No

Currently reading the Fate of the Jedi series. Looking forward to getting to Omen which involves the Sith from Lost Tribe. Grin Grin Grin

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2017, 09:13:08 PM »

Does Sith Lightning last for durations beyond the wielder's control?

Referring to the Emperor cooking himself twice; once against Windu and the other during Vader's coup.

Also referencing Darth Bane's self-toasting at the end of Rule of Two.

Sig by For Tyeth

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2017, 09:37:27 PM »

Does Sith Lightning last for durations beyond the wielder's control?

Referring to the Emperor cooking himself twice; once against Windu and the other during Vader's coup.

Also referencing Darth Bane's self-toasting at the end of Rule of Two.

I think it does, but not for very long. When Sidious zaps Luke in ROTJ, after he stops, there is still electricity flowing through Luke. I don't think it is for very long though.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2017, 10:12:32 PM »

I think it does, but not for very long. When Sidious zaps Luke in ROTJ, after he stops, there is still electricity flowing through Luke. I don't think it is for very long though.
Not what I'm asking

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: