Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26   Go Down
Author Topic: Sith Academy: Korriban  (Read 144704 times)
Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 04:44:06 PM »

Regarding Darth Bane...bear in mind before I answer that I approach things from a perspective that could be described as an unconventional Sith, so my answer probably manages to not represent the majority of the Sith Order AND still run counter to anything the Jedi would advocate.

On one hand, from a pragmatic standpoint I can see where Darth Bane was going with the Rule of Two, and yes, it did stop the infighting sufficiently to allow for a kind of long-range planning that prior to that point had not been possible for the Sith Order.

On the other, I think that Bane's actions destroyed the useful side of Sith independence, creating a rigidity of thought that now equaled that of the Jedi.  The Sith code notes that through victory one's chains should be broken and that the Force should set one free.  The degree of ideological conformity created by bringing the entire Sith Order down to the relationship between two individuals alone (which I have to figure is extremely stifling to say the least) in my mind abrogates that part of the code.

As some of you might have noticed from another thread or two, I would have considered the failed reforms of Darth Imperius (SWTOR Inquisitor storyline, non-canon "light side" version of Darth Nox) a solution more in keeping with the Sith Code.  It was individual agency that allowed Imperius (AND Bane!) to think outside the box and identify what was wrong with the Sith Order and attempt their solutions to varying degrees of success.  We have to assume that in the timeline where Imperius existed that his solution of trying to rein in Sith excesses and institute a more pragmatic version of the Order that does not...well, brutalize for the lulz, or ignore the usefulness of establishing a bit of actual trustworthiness, and takes its mission as Empire defense rather than totally one of personal power.  

(This by NO means indicates being like the Jedi, and it's even more striking when you watch these cutscenes that enmity would likely always remain on grounds that the Jedi will not accept any use of the dark side or any harsher tactics ever, nor be willing to accept the Sith philosophy allowing the full range of sentient experience...there are even clear instances seen in an LS V run with the Inquisitor of Jedi knee-jerk reacting to the Inquisitor even when they have already detected evidence that there is something different, and he has presented them with a chance to get out of his way.)

Obviously Imperius failed in his timeline, either because he was cut down at some point by a Darth who was more brutal than pragmatic and his followers killed as well, or because anything he did manage to introduce during his lifetime gets undone at the soonest opportunity. (Dialogue with Ashara Zavros suggests to me that this version of Lord Kallig may not have been expecting to live to old age, making me think it would have been the former.)

Anyway, just my thoughts.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 05:39:57 PM »

I agree with your take on Bane, to a point.

With the Rule of Two the concept states "a Master to hold the power, and an apprentice to crave it." Basically, when you become Master, you are then capable of letting your individuality out.

Likewise, in Darth Plagueis, Sidious did what he was instructed to do without question until the moment when he seized power for himself. Then he was able to do things his way.

When Bane dictated that Zannah would master Soresu, it was because years of combat experience told him that her slight frame would not be able to launch an effective assault in saber combat. But being able to put up a nigh impenetrable wall of defense to wear her opponent down would best suit her.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2016, 12:47:07 AM »

When Bane dictated that Zannah would master Soresu, it was because years of combat experience told him that her slight frame would not be able to launch an effective assault in saber combat. But being able to put up a nigh impenetrable wall of defense to wear her opponent down would best suit her.

That and a double bladed Lightsaber, despite what the jedi thought, is ideally suited to the defensive nature of Form III.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 02:48:35 AM »

I agree with your take on Bane, to a point.

With the Rule of Two the concept states "a Master to hold the power, and an apprentice to crave it." Basically, when you become Master, you are then capable of letting your individuality out.

I believe it goes: "One to embody the power, the other to crave it." I could be wrong though. Smiley

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »

I believe it goes: "One to embody the power, the other to crave it." I could be wrong though. Smiley

tomāto  tomäto

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 12:38:15 AM »

tomāto  tomäto

Huh? Huh

Vivectius
Knight Commander

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 04:08:30 AM »

Huh? Huh

Two different ways to say the same thing.

You might not be able to see it, but the fist tomato has a long "A" sound, while the second tomato has an umlaut over the a, changing the pronunciation to "ah."  Toe-may-toe vs. toe-mah-toe.

The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »

You might not be able to see it, but the fist tomato has a long "A" sound, while the second tomato has an umlaut over the a, changing the pronunciation to "ah."  Toe-may-toe vs. toe-mah-toe.

points. Exactly that.

@ Calon,

It's an old expression that means exactly what Viv said.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 01:09:57 AM »

Thank you. It all makes sense now.

points. Exactly that.

@ Calon,

It's an old expression that means exactly what Viv said.

It all means the same, I was merely quoting the " official" saying. Smiley  Are you one to use things (for lack of better word) that people don't understand, or have I just not heard of them 'cause of my young age? (does that make sense?)

Vivectius
Knight Commander

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 04:39:55 AM »

Thank you. It all makes sense now.

It all means the same, I was merely quoting the " official" saying. Smiley  Are you one to use things (for lack of better word) that people don't understand, or have I just not heard of them 'cause of my young age? (does that make sense?)

For Logos, it's both.  In this case it's probably your young age though.  Smiley

Unknown to death
 Nor known to life

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »

For Logos, it's both.  In this case it's probably your young age though.  Smiley

It is. The tomato reference is well older than I am.

Anyway, we're getting off course.

Sig by For Tyeth

Iram
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -292

Grey, leaning to the Dark Side

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 02:49:12 PM »

*clears throat*
 So....

BBL and proud!!!

My Sabers
Overlord (BR) Old Reliable w/ Obsidian v4 
Crimson Scorpion (VA)  w/ Obsidian v3  [Second Prize, 2016 Spring Raffle (1st)]
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (CG) Viridi Ignis 
Graflex SE (Emerald) w/Obsidian v4 [Won -50% off coupon April 2017]
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (BR)

WWJD?

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 04:23:05 PM »

*clears throat*
 So....

Sorry, dude. This isn't a chat thread. It was designed solely to discuss and distribute knowledge of the Dark Side to those not as well versed in the EU.

Sig by For Tyeth

ArtoriusaurusRex
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 41

From the Ashes a fire shall be woken...

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »

Why does the Dark Side make its users Fugly? lol

A Light from the Shadow shall spring...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2016, 05:14:53 PM »

Why does the Dark Side make its users Fugly? lol

Probably for a similar reason that stress and worry can manifest themselves physically in the body. The brain is a very powerful organ, and strong negative emotions take their toll.

However, this is not always the case. I've heard of a Sith technique to negate these disfiguring effects. Supposedly Sidious used it. It's part of the Force Concealment, but when he fried himself with lightning the effects quickly faded, revealing the toll the Dark Side had taken on him.

My personal theory, based on more empirical evidence throughout the EU, is that DS users have a tendency to be more confrontational, and therefore take more asswhoopins.
Zannah remained a hottie. Talon was left unscathed, but I think that was nerd-boys being nerd-boys. Malgus was pretty handsome (outside the grey skin) until he tried to stop a missile with his face, and then had a thermal detonator go off by his head, and then got Force slammed so hard into a mountain it left a hole.

According to what I've read in Revan, older members of the Sith Order do show the "fugly" effects of the Dark Side. Darth Nyriss was supposed to have shown these ravages to such a degree that even her smile made Lord Scourge want to cringe. (Yikes)

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: