Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26   Go Down
Author Topic: Sith Academy: Korriban  (Read 142482 times)
Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #255 on: March 12, 2018, 06:15:12 PM »

I just had a thought on this. Son and Daughter represent a parallel to the Freudian constructs of the Id (Son) and the Superego (Daughter). One represents raw emotion and desire, and looks only upon itself. The other represents control, and learned behaviors accepted as good by "civilized society". The individual Ego (Father) makes the conscious decision of how to regulate and balance each within themselves.

The death of Father represented Anakin's impending crisis of faith, and offered up a glimpse of the consequences of his choice. But it also showed the consequence of favoring one side over balance. By dogmatically favoring Daughter over Son, the Jedi sought the weapon that could end Son's influence. But by retrieving it, allowed Son access to the weapon that could free him of Father's ruling influence over both, and ultimately destroying everything that opposed him. In similar fashion, it is believed by some that Bane's reduction of the Sith to 2 tipped the balance of the Force so far to the "light" that the impending decimation of the Jedi was inevitable in order to properly bring balance to the Force.

I have maintained for ages that the balancing required the reduction of the Jedi, with their 10,000 + vs. 2 Sith (and probably a fairly equivalent number of non Sith dark side users as Jedi who escaped order 66 and the Purge).  Which is why I always felt that after RotJ, a rise from the dark side had to happen, to balance it back out.  The Force isn't light or dark, in and of itself, and balance in most cases is more of a pendulum, back and forth between points, as perpetual, equal balance would be stagnation, and when dealing with life, stagnation is death, or worse, oblivion.  Besides, in so many ways, how long would Sith be content with total victory, no one to fight?

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #256 on: March 12, 2018, 06:27:18 PM »

I have maintained for ages that the balancing required the reduction of the Jedi, with their 10,000 + vs. 2 Sith (and probably a fairly equivalent number of non Sith dark side users as Jedi who escaped order 66 and the Purge).  Which is why I always felt that after RotJ, a rise from the dark side had to happen, to balance it back out.  The Force isn't light or dark, in and of itself, and balance in most cases is more of a pendulum, back and forth between points, as perpetual, equal balance would be stagnation, and when dealing with life, stagnation is death, or worse, oblivion.  Besides, in so many ways, how long would Sith be content with total victory, no one to fight?
Exactly why I believe that conquest is pointless. Even Darth Bane knew that power was simply a means to an end. That is why power is not the end of the Sith Code. What does one do after they have conquered the known universe?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #257 on: March 12, 2018, 06:39:19 PM »

Exactly why I believe that conquest is pointless. Even Darth Bane knew that power was simply a means to an end. That is why power is not the end of the Sith Code. What does one do after they have conquered the known universe?

Reforge it in their image?

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #258 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »

Exactly why i made a parallel between Bane and Elric ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #259 on: March 12, 2018, 08:04:59 PM »

Exactly why i made a parallel between Bane and Elric ...
Don't know Elric.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #260 on: March 12, 2018, 08:11:01 PM »

Great fantasy character and series by Moorcock. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melnibon%C3%A9

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #261 on: March 12, 2018, 08:12:31 PM »

Don't know Elric.

If one day you have time to start a new book ... you should try ... Moorcock has a very interesting point of view about Law vs Chaos, Good vs Evil and Balance ... Also, the universe of Elric the Necromancer is very cool (IMO) : the most powerful guys that follow the path of the Chaos are the Melnibonean ... and their society is very close to my vision of the Sith Society ...

Great fantasy character and series by Moorcock. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melnibon%C3%A9

"In 2014, The Ruby Throne, the first volume of a new four-volume adaptation of Elric of Melniboné written by Julien Blondel and illustrated by Didier Poli, Jean Bastide, and Robin Recht, was published by Titan Comics. Stormbringer, the second volume was published in March 2015 by the same team and publisher. Moorcock states that this is his favorite comic adaptation of his Elric stories to date and praises the subtle changes to the original story, saying that he wishes he had made them himself.[21] The third volume, entitled 'The White Wolf', will be released in September 2017.[22]"

I have the 3 first of this collection ... very great Smiley

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #262 on: March 17, 2018, 08:44:16 PM »

Thank You Darth Logos. I have been avoiding the Star Wars books for years, afraid I would go to deep and they would change what was canon.
I just picked up DARTH PLAGUEIS because you recommended it. I think you also said stay away from anything that is not marked LEGENDS, So I also Picked up DAWN OF THE JEDI- INTO THE VOID. Thanks, I needed more addictions and things to spend money on! So, are the LEGENDS books the new canon or what the hell? And like I recently saw you say "YOU TAKE THAT BACK TFU IS CANON" couldn't agree more. What about K.O.T.O.R. ! AND !!? Any non Legends books worth picking up? Much appreciated Dark Lord. Wink

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #263 on: March 17, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »

Legends is what they are now calling what was the Expanded Universe, and is no longer "canon" according to Lucasfilms/Disney.  Wookiepedia has a good article explaining it, here,

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Legends

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #264 on: March 17, 2018, 11:25:49 PM »

Legends is what they are now calling what was the Expanded Universe, and is no longer "canon" according to Lucasfilms/Disney.  Wookiepedia has a good article explaining it, here,

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Legends

Thank You Kind Sir.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #265 on: March 17, 2018, 11:30:47 PM »

There are (though I don't think I've read any yet) some good books that are not LEGENDS, however, there are quite a few of them that aren't great (or so I've heard).

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #266 on: March 19, 2018, 03:35:16 PM »

Thank You Darth Logos. I have been avoiding the Star Wars books for years, afraid I would go to deep and they would change what was canon.
I just picked up DARTH PLAGUEIS because you recommended it. I think you also said stay away from anything that is not marked LEGENDS, So I also Picked up DAWN OF THE JEDI- INTO THE VOID. Thanks, I needed more addictions and things to spend money on! So, are the LEGENDS books the new canon or what the hell? And like I recently saw you say "YOU TAKE THAT BACK TFU IS CANON" couldn't agree more. What about K.O.T.O.R. ! AND !!? Any non Legends books worth picking up? Much appreciated Dark Lord. Wink
There is no such thing as "too deep". There was only two things about Plagueis that I didn't like, but I won't get into them without spoilers. I haven't read any DOTJ yet. I've mainly been focused on stories with good Sith aspects for research purposes.

On the bright side, paperbacks are cheap. No, "Legends" is what the original canon Extended Universe (stories that weren't put on the big screen) have been relegated to. IMO, they were the superior stories because although some tried to be edgy, and some even achieved it, most of the narratives were held together with good characters and good plots instead of a bunch of hocus pocus woooooo crap.

As far as OCEU stories that I enjoyed, I cannot stress the Darth Bane trilogy enough. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Lost Tribe of the Sith. One of the prequel stories I also found to be immensely fun was Cloak of Deception. Like Darth Plagueis and the Bane trilogy, it expands on the depth of planning  the Sith took in overthrowing the Republic.

Considering what I've seen in movies and SW Rebels, I am thoroughly disenchanted by the prospect of reading anything of the Disney Canon. But you're welcome to find out for yourself if you enjoy them.

Sig by For Tyeth

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #267 on: March 19, 2018, 09:30:38 PM »

There is no such thing as "too deep".

I fully agree. You are living proof of that. Wink

No, "Legends" is what the original canon Extended Universe (stories that weren't put on the big screen) have been relegated to.
That's what I thought.Thanks for clearing that up.

Great information as always Logos. By the way, do you dual or spin? I suspect that you duel, hard!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #268 on: March 20, 2018, 02:13:50 PM »

I'm not much of a duelist or spinner, but I dabble from time to time. I would classify my style as.......treacherous. Wink

Sig by For Tyeth

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #269 on: March 20, 2018, 03:25:05 PM »

I'm not much of a duelist or spinner, but I dabble from time to time. I would classify my style as.......treacherous. Wink

HAHA!!! I DIG IT! Your an awesome Dark Lord! Points all the time but especially for that one.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: