Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Down
Author Topic: Jedi Academy: Tython  (Read 104782 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 08:36:54 PM »

Here's the jedi version of Sith Lightning: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Electric_Judgment .  Personally I think both versions should just be called Force Lightning; however, I also think the methods by which it is generated does differ between jedi and Sith.  

I actually had a thought on this over the weekend. Could lightning also be generated for feelings of excitement? Like say you're all geeked up, could you use that kind of positive emotion to generate a similar electrical current, but it wouldn't necessarily be offensive, but rather utilitarian. Like Starkiller did on Raxus Prime to power up the derelict engines.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 08:39:14 PM »

I actually had a thought on this over the weekend. Could lightning also be generated for feelings of excitement? Like say you're all geeked up, could you use that kind of positive emotion to generate a similar electrical current, but it wouldn't necessarily be offensive, but rather utilitarian. Like Starkiller did on Raxus Prime to power up the derelict engines.

I could see that easily, and that's one of the two main reasons I really struggle with the whole classification of powers thing.  Heck, I could even see someone with an *extreme* amount of training and discipline shocking a stopped heart back into working.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 09:22:56 PM »

I could see that easily, and that's one of the two main reasons I really struggle with the whole classification of powers thing.  Heck, I could even see someone with an *extreme* amount of training and discipline shocking a stopped heart back into working.

Drawing off of 'hope'?

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 09:30:46 PM »

Drawing off of 'hope'?

Potentially, though admittedly it would be affected by fear as well.  But then I'm sure real-life first responders work off of that exact same duality: the hopeful belief in being able to make a difference and the adrenaline shot of energy and yes, fear, that keeps you sharp in the right dose.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 10:02:02 PM »

Potentially, though admittedly it would be affected by fear as well.  But then I'm sure real-life first responders work off of that exact same duality: the hopeful belief in being able to make a difference and the adrenaline shot of energy and yes, fear, that keeps you sharp in the right dose.

This is a little off topic, but in my experience, fear is what produces adrenaline. Fear that you don't have strength or skill enough to achieve your goal. Which then leaves two choices: hope or panic.

Sig by For Tyeth

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 12:08:08 PM »

It could be an interesting discussion about how intentional or rather how reflexive we are as beings.
Shall we take a look at the outcome of an action to justify or the motive?

Fear is a reaction - whatever comes out of fear is driven by a past experience and an assumption that it'll happen again the same way if...
Hope and panic as emotions are again automatically "produced" by the body as the necessary chemicals to feel this or that way. No control over these ones - the control (and the way of the Jedi) starts where the awareness turns up recognizing these automatic reactions within the self.

So as I understand that's where Sith and Jedi traditions part ways: first a reactive emotion appears as a feeling, then either one can say "hey, let's live up to this feeling and fulfill/amplify/unleash it" or "I sense there's a feeling arising in me so in my awareness I can decide whether I let it rule me or I rule it out".

The later is more conscious and has more choices because of the advanced control over the self, the earlier can be stronger as it's more sudden and so can have more control over the environment.
It's surely hard to be a jedi if there's a war like there have always been a war in the SW universe - destruction is inevitable and the flow of being reflexive can easily overwhelm any training and delicated self control. Like when Obi-wan was celebrating the "easy victory" in EP2 when only Yoda remined conscious about what happened wasn't a victory at all to get involved in to the Clone Wars.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:12:52 PM by medwyn » Logged

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 02:06:15 PM »

That would be the reason for the extensive Jedi training, however. Their awareness of the Force and instinctive self-control should insulate them against letting their guard down.

Jedi learn to recognise their emotions, but they aren't bound to act on them - anger, fear, hatred... They find ways to control them. As you say, their awareness of them is key - acting on the almost subliminal anger you can experience when dealing with a difficult bureaucrat, for example, would be bad. I believe that exact example has shown up in the EU more than once Smiley

Within the Clone Wars, the hopelessness and needless sacrifice certainly wore down the Jedi, and at least in the (Legends) comics was the cause for several having encounters with the Dark Side. Dooku relied on those feelings when he approached Jedi in an attempt to win them over, and the Jedi recognised it - Quinlan Vos relied on it as part of his background when he went undercover against Dooku.

Yoda referred to the 'shadow of the Dark Side', or something along those lines, as clouding his ability to divine the future during the time of the Clone Wars and their buildup, when Sidious and Plagueis were bringing the goals of the Sith to fruition. While the Sith were a potent presence, and the galaxy as a whole seemed to be (to some degree) more lawless and decadent than one might expect, I wonder whether the Jedi were affected so badly by everything they were experiencing that their ability to counterbalance the growing darkness was affected. Beset by despair, fear and even hatred, surrounded by clones with an aggressive mindset and hostile and frightened civilians, and increasingly whittled down in number, the Order must have suffered as it was killed by inches.

It would be hard to remain positive and focused when so many around you are drowning and lost in their troubles. Throw the Force into the mix, and each weakened Jedi would be likely to affect (and infect) those around them, especially as they grew in number.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 02:13:37 PM »

It could be an interesting discussion about how intentional or rather how reflexive we are as beings.
Shall we take a look at the outcome of an action to justify or the motive?

Fear is a reaction - whatever comes out of fear is driven by a past experience and an assumption that it'll happen again the same way if...
Hope and panic as emotions are again automatically "produced" by the body as the necessary chemicals to feel this or that way. No control over these ones - the control (and the way of the Jedi) starts where the awareness turns up recognizing these automatic reactions within the self.

So as I understand that's where Sith and Jedi traditions part ways: first a reactive emotion appears as a feeling, then either one can say "hey, let's live up to this feeling and fulfill/amplify/unleash it" or "I sense there's a feeling arising in me so in my awareness I can decide whether I let it rule me or I rule it out".

The later is more conscious and has more choices because of the advanced control over the self, the earlier can be stronger as it's more sudden and so can have more control over the environment.
It's surely hard to be a jedi if there's a war like there have always been a war in the SW universe - destruction is inevitable and the flow of being reflexive can easily overwhelm any training and delicated self control. Like when Obi-wan was celebrating the "easy victory" in EP2 when only Yoda remined conscious about what happened wasn't a victory at all to get involved in to the Clone Wars.

I think you mean latter and prior, but enough about English.

It is a misconception that the Sith are without self control. Every martial artist that ever achieved a rank above first degree white belt had to have some semblance of discipline...

Even this guy:

Darth Maul was a consummate warrior, and would not have achieved his level of skill if he threw up his arms in a tantrum every time he got frustrated with his training regimen.

Yes the Sith (and other Dark Side users) have their bouts with "losing it" but they do not advocate it. The Sith use their emotions to draw strength and power, where the Jedi endeavor to avoid the temptation. But both utilize self control.

A tool that cannot be controlled is not useful.

Sig by For Tyeth

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 08:54:35 PM »

That would be the reason for the extensive Jedi training, however. Their awareness of the Force and instinctive self-control should insulate them against letting their guard down.

Jedi learn to recognise their emotions, but they aren't bound to act on them - anger, fear, hatred... They find ways to control them. As you say, their awareness of them is key - acting on the almost subliminal anger you can experience when dealing with a difficult bureaucrat, for example, would be bad. I believe that exact example has shown up in the EU more than once Smiley

Within the Clone Wars, the hopelessness and needless sacrifice certainly wore down the Jedi, and at least in the (Legends) comics was the cause for several having encounters with the Dark Side. Dooku relied on those feelings when he approached Jedi in an attempt to win them over, and the Jedi recognised it - Quinlan Vos relied on it as part of his background when he went undercover against Dooku.

Yoda referred to the 'shadow of the Dark Side', or something along those lines, as clouding his ability to divine the future during the time of the Clone Wars and their buildup, when Sidious and Plagueis were bringing the goals of the Sith to fruition. While the Sith were a potent presence, and the galaxy as a whole seemed to be (to some degree) more lawless and decadent than one might expect, I wonder whether the Jedi were affected so badly by everything they were experiencing that their ability to counterbalance the growing darkness was affected. Beset by despair, fear and even hatred, surrounded by clones with an aggressive mindset and hostile and frightened civilians, and increasingly whittled down in number, the Order must have suffered as it was killed by inches.

It would be hard to remain positive and focused when so many around you are drowning and lost in their troubles. Throw the Force into the mix, and each weakened Jedi would be likely to affect (and infect) those around them, especially as they grew in number.

Oh, I like these characters you mentioned: Vos is possibly my favourite (now I have to dig up those comics and read again, I enjoyed them very much!) and also it was great to see Mace Windu in details by the book of Ep3 how he was such a master of using the Dark Side "when needed" without turning.

I think you mean latter and prior, but enough about English.

Sorry, English is not my first language. Will learn from your words here.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2016, 03:40:34 PM »

Were the Je'daii a specific species much like the Sith were a species but the name lived on in the collective despite the lineage of its members?

Sig by For Tyeth

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »

Stickied this topic per the request of others - its counterpart the Sith Academy also got a sticky so make sure to visit it too.
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=28147.0

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2016, 06:50:49 PM »

Stickied this topic per the request of others - its counterpart the Sith Academy also got a sticky so make sure to visit it too.
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=28147.0

Thanks.

Sig by For Tyeth

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 12:39:07 AM »

Were the Je'daii a specific species much like the Sith were a species but the name lived on in the collective despite the lineage of its members?

So, I'm curious as to whether I should answer this question, as it's directed to the jedi on the forum, but I do know the answer.  Basically, are the two knowledge threads open to anyone answering, regardless of which "side" they're on?

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2016, 12:48:29 AM »

So, I'm curious as to whether I should answer this question, as it's directed to the jedi on the forum, but I do know the answer.  Basically, are the two knowledge threads open to anyone answering, regardless of which "side" they're on?

Yes, I was about to give my reply, but I am far more curious as to what you've found.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2016, 01:22:15 AM »

Yes, I was about to give my reply, but I am far more curious as to what you've found.

Given that we usually go to the same place for the answers, we probably found the same thing.

The Je'daii were not a species, but members of the Je'daii Order, which, after a few civil wars and schisms, would eventually become the jedi order.  Interestingly, the Je'daii are much closer to some Grey jedi philosophies of balance within the Force.  They acknowledged both sides of the Force, the Ashla (light side) and Bogen (Dark Side).  Each side was represented in the two moons of Tython, and any member who went too far to either side was banished to either the light or dark moon, depending on which way they went, to meditate and bring themselves back into balance.

Further history, and what eventually happened to bring about the destruction of the Je'daii, and the birth of the jedi can be found here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Je%27daii_Order .  Note that like so much else, this is no long canon, and now merely the Legend of a bygone era...

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: