Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Down
Author Topic: Jedi Academy: Tython  (Read 104504 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #240 on: May 14, 2020, 03:51:28 PM »

To be specific the Lightsaber blade is a Plasma "loop", Interestingly enough (in old canon) The Sith were responsible for making Lightsabers better.   In the Old Canon more than a few Jedi cobbled their Lightsabers out of "scrap".  Notably Master Coran Horn.  As my Cohort Logos said the reason no one else could build a saber was because of internal workings having to be done using the Force (an explanation I never fully bought).  But it wasn't just welds, it was also shifting the Crystal (or crystals if it was a dual phase saber) to the right position.
Thank you for the greater description.

Exactly. Cool Even in the Legends article about crystals, they were saying that the crystal was the power source of the saber. This is bull considering that it completely usurps the idea of the proto-saber. For those that don't know, proto-sabers had a belt-worn power supply that powered the saber via a cable. The Sith revised this by implementing smaller power cells contained within the body of the hilt, allowing for greater versatility and range of motion.

Also, beyond just the welds and precise crystal placement, the builder had to be able to make sure every component pertaining to blade projection was perfectly aligned.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

SpartanGrey117
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #241 on: May 14, 2020, 05:34:45 PM »

Since a lightsaber is plasma held within an energy containment field (energy shield), the collision of the lightsaber blades would then be from the containment field... Also makes sense why they're able to deflect blaster bolts... I'm just delving as deep as I can into the physics of it for funsies.

The Jedi have their place in the galaxy, and should not be lost. The Sith... They have theirs; some are needed, most are misguided, and then there are those that must be silenced... Both are needed for balance.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2020, 06:24:12 PM »

Since a lightsaber is plasma held within an energy containment field (energy shield), the collision of the lightsaber blades would then be from the containment field... Also makes sense why they're able to deflect blaster bolts... I'm just delving as deep as I can into the physics of it for funsies.
Energy DEFLECTS energy. Blasters are a perfect example. Shields are another. That's why, in certain scenarios, projectile (physical) weapons like missiles and torpedoes are used to circumvent shields; case in point the Death Star. This is why Kanan's saber lessons to Sabine were a steaming pile of grade A, farmers' choice bantha dung.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #243 on: May 14, 2020, 06:35:04 PM »

Energy DEFLECTS energy. Blasters are a perfect example. Shields are another. That's why, in certain scenarios, projectile (physical) weapons like missiles and torpedoes are used to circumvent shields; case in point the Death Star. This is why Kanan's saber lessons to Sabine were a steaming pile of grade A, farmers' choice bantha dung.

Been a while since I watched it.... Why exactly are they poo Doo

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #244 on: May 14, 2020, 06:51:53 PM »

The first thing wrong was that she said she could feel the weight, and that it was heavier than she thought it'd be. Hopefully, I missed something, as I've only seen the ep once, and she was referring to the weight of the hilt. But only a Force sensitive would be able to perceive the weight of the blade.

The second thing wrong was Kanan saying that the blades are attracted to one another. This is just a dumbass trying to write edgy new canon bs. If saber blades attracted to one another it would be like trying to sword fight with metal blades that were magnetized. You'd waste more energy pulling the blades apart for your next attack.

Sig by For Tyeth

SpartanGrey117
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2020, 05:01:51 PM »

The first thing wrong was that she said she could feel the weight, and that it was heavier than she thought it'd be. Hopefully, I missed something, as I've only seen the ep once, and she was referring to the weight of the hilt. But only a Force sensitive would be able to perceive the weight of the blade.

The second thing wrong was Kanan saying that the blades are attracted to one another. This is just a dumbass trying to write edgy new canon bs. If saber blades attracted to one another it would be like trying to sword fight with metal blades that were magnetized. You'd waste more energy pulling the blades apart for your next attack.

So do we just reject this 'new canon' as stupid because we know better or do we have to live with it? lol   One thing I feel differing directors need to do is to actually get invested into the ESTABLISHED lore for any universe that they're entering into. If they don't know it, have people or resources that do. One of the most annoying things is contradictions to set lore from a new director just because they feel like it.

The Jedi have their place in the galaxy, and should not be lost. The Sith... They have theirs; some are needed, most are misguided, and then there are those that must be silenced... Both are needed for balance.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2020, 05:04:03 PM »

So do we just reject this 'new canon' as stupid because we know better or do we have to live with it? lol   One thing I feel differing directors need to do is to actually get invested into the ESTABLISHED lore for any universe that they're entering into. If they don't know it, have people or resources that do. One of the most annoying things is contradictions to set lore from a new director just because they feel like it.

I myself enjoy both the old and new canon as they approach topics much differenly, however I dont find either apporach superior/inferior. Thus i try to keep tabs on both. Thanks to Logos and Tepes for clearing up the plasma bit.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2020, 05:39:35 PM »

So do we just reject this 'new canon' as stupid because we know better or do we have to live with it? lol   One thing I feel differing directors need to do is to actually get invested into the ESTABLISHED lore for any universe that they're entering into. If they don't know it, have people or resources that do. One of the most annoying things is contradictions to set lore from a new director just because they feel like it.
I reject it. As for your thoughts on movie making: you can sit with me. JJ seems to have been in love with the OT, but only seems to focused on dumb kitsch and nostalgia. Gareth did a pretty good job of utilizing pre-existing source material to make R1. Ron did the best job IMO because he was the only one who was an adult when the OT came out. The others weren't even teenagers. And then there's the dickhead, and that's all that needs to be said.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #248 on: May 16, 2020, 02:16:47 AM »

There are things I like and dislike about the current Crystal and Saber Lore.  I like the more mystical approach but am not 100% on its execution.  As to having someone on set making sure they don't mess up canon...they do have those.  Its called the Lucasfilm Story group.  But, while Lucas was still in charge he would many times change things and they couldn't say no to George of course.  Currently, it seems KK gives the directors Carte Blanche to do what they want.  So again, even if the story group objects..they get overruled.  Just look at the recent comment by a Lucasfilm member about Canon.

She never specified if it was the Hilt or the whole which was heavy...but I assume it would be the whole.  I haven't seen anything in Old or New canon  that would lead me to think only Force Users can feel the weight but they are the ones who can feel the whole of the blade.  The "weight" comes from the point in the hilt where the Loop happens.  It creates a "gyroscopic" sensation that allows the non force user to feel its "weight".  Indeed when you see non force users in the animated shows using them they are gripping them two handed since they are struggling to control it.   Of course this is all "Star Wars" science and has little to no basis in the real world. 

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #249 on: May 18, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »

There are things I like and dislike about the current Crystal and Saber Lore.  I like the more mystical approach but am not 100% on its execution.  As to having someone on set making sure they don't mess up canon...they do have those.  Its called the Lucasfilm Story group.  But, while Lucas was still in charge he would many times change things and they couldn't say no to George of course.  Currently, it seems KK gives the directors Carte Blanche to do what they want.  So again, even if the story group objects..they get overruled.  Just look at the recent comment by a Lucasfilm member about Canon.
Because they're morons.

She never specified if it was the Hilt or the whole which was heavy...but I assume it would be the whole.  I haven't seen anything in Old or New canon  that would lead me to think only Force Users can feel the weight but they are the ones who can feel the whole of the blade.  The "weight" comes from the point in the hilt where the Loop happens.  It creates a "gyroscopic" sensation that allows the non force user to feel its "weight".  Indeed when you see non force users in the animated shows using them they are gripping them two handed since they are struggling to control it.   Of course this is all "Star Wars" science and has little to no basis in the real world. 
A gyroscopic effect is only generated by a substantial moving mass. Since the plasma already has negligible mass, the gyroscopic force it would exert in a loop would be negligible as well. It's a nice attempt, but still falls short. It's equivalent to holding an electrical wire and saying you could feel the difference between a live and dead circuit.

Sig by For Tyeth

Hymn347
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

>>Light Side Points Please<<

« Reply #250 on: July 28, 2020, 11:20:30 PM »

So I'm just wondering, how do Jedi clear their minds and center themselves in the force? Do we know other than a broad explanation like meditation? Whats the mental process?

May the Force guide you and Peace find you.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #251 on: July 29, 2020, 12:43:37 PM »

So I'm just wondering, how do Jedi clear their minds and center themselves in the force? Do we know other than a broad explanation like meditation? Whats the mental process?
Most likely it's just meditation. But being ADHD my mind is never clear.

Sig by For Tyeth

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #252 on: July 29, 2020, 12:56:13 PM »

if your trying to "simply " clear your mind thats just about practice ( one of the early ways i was taught was to stare into a candle flame then later put the candle flame just in my mind )  but in SW and this would be pure conjecture on my part, The Master would assign the padawan mental practice drills to help to connect with the force. we saw in new hope how obi wan had luke reach out and  feel the remote then once luke got a sense of that obi wan put the helmet on him. I could get all metaphorical and such but i will refrain

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2020, 01:15:41 PM »

From what I know of RL Meditation and what has been shown in SW...I would figure its not much different.  Clearing one's mind isn't as easy as it sounds even if you don't have ADHD.  Usually there is an image or item used to focus.  Like Hesa said some use a candle.  Those rare times I do meditate I do it very differently than many.  For one I stand and I hold a sword loosely by its grip.  I stand because when I sit its hard to remain in a neutral stance because I am overweight and it affects my back...standing doesn't give me that issue.  The sword is a "conduit".   I do have anger issues and I meditate to calm.  I see the anger as energy and the law of the universe is Energy can not be created or destroyed...only moved or changed.  So my focus is moving that angry "energy" into my blade.

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #254 on: July 29, 2020, 01:24:09 PM »

From what I know of RL Meditation and what has been shown in SW...I would figure its not much different.  Clearing one's mind isn't as easy as it sounds even if you don't have ADHD.  Usually there is an image or item used to focus.  Like Hesa said some use a candle.  Those rare times I do meditate I do it very differently than many.  For one I stand and I hold a sword loosely by its grip.  I stand because when I sit its hard to remain in a neutral stance because I am overweight and it affects my back...standing doesn't give me that issue.  The sword is a "conduit".   I do have anger issues and I meditate to calm.  I see the anger as energy and the law of the universe is Energy can not be created or destroyed...only moved or changed.  So my focus is moving that angry "energy" into my blade.
nice explanation sir

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Up
Send this topic | Print