Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Review: Dark Shock - RGB  (Read 5590 times)
LaserRay
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 68

« on: September 17, 2011, 04:27:35 PM »

Introduction: This is my first review of my very first lightsaberTongue  I am a long time embedded software engineer with background in both hardware and software, so I am capable of building my own lightsaber, capable of customizing my lightsaber, meticulous and a perfectionist by nature. I have wanted a lightsaber for many years, but have been waiting for the quality of the components to catch up with my high expectations. Sound quality has only recently left the toy market behind. Ultrasabers anodized components set the new standard! Research anodizing on the web and compare to the competition and you'll understand what I mean. The rating scale is from 1 to 10, with 10 being the best / highest rating and 1 being the worst / lowest rating. Please note that the rating is subjective! It is my personal opinion and assessment. The only standard with which to compare is competing product, so the basis for assessment is that coupled with experience and expectation. Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Ultrasabers and do not know anyone from Ultrasabers personally.

The lightsaber:

Dark Shock - RGB
Choose the color of your blade!:  RGB
Blade option:                             Midgrade Ultraedge
Battery configuration:                 LI-Ion setup
UltraFX Sound:                           Yes, Obsidian USB Sound w/ Red Illuminated AV Switch
Choose tip type:                         Round Tip (normal lead time)
Blade Retention Screw Wrench:   Sure!

Summary rating:  9.75

Overall craftmanship quality:  9
The workmanship / craftmanship, as noted elsewhere on this site, is EXCELLENTShocked  Ever since holding the Dark Shock, powering-up the Dark Shock, hearing the sound and seeing the colors, I have had a smile that won't come off. I look like Jack Nicholson as The Joker in the Batman movie!  Grin  I am pretty sure The Joker was a Rattataki Sith Assassin, but I digress.

The pommel and emitter mate perfectly with the hilt. Pictures on the web don't do it justice. It looks even better "in-person". I feel there is enough silver to go with the black that this lightsaber could be used by both Jedi and Sith. With the RGB one has the choice to be light, dark or grey and whichever specialization one wishes.The hilt, pommel and emitter are all MHS compatible, which means that this lightsaber can be easily customized.

There are a few minor knicks on the hilt and emitter and the buttons are not perfectly aligned. All are nothing that anyone else is likely to notice. One needs to study the lightsaber to perceive the imperfections. Nothing is perfect! I give it a 9 of 10. This Dark Shock RGB has either met or EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS!

Colors and Brightness:  10
The colors are, in a word, SPECTACULAR! The basic red, green and blue are pure. For example, red is red, not orange. They are also very bright, enough to light up an entire room and blind your opponent, which will give you (or is it your opponent?) the edge.  Cheesy  The blended colors, cyan, yellow, and purple are also excellent. The white is close to white, being slightly violet, and in my case none of the three colors appears to overpower the other two.

Sound:  10
The Obsidian delivers EXCELLENT SOUND QUALITY, which is amazing considering the size of the speaker. For me, sound definitely enhances the experience! There are sounds for powering-up, powering-down, swings and clashes as well as others. The Obsidian reproduces the movie sounds very well! I can't wait for the Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida sound font!

Feel:  10
Holding the Dark Shock RGB feels like... I'm holding a lightsaber. How do I know? You'll just have to trust me on it.  Roll Eyes  But seriously, it has a SOLID FEEL. I can comfortably wield it both dual-handedly and single-handedly. The balance point is near the bottom of the emitter. I don't find it to be heavy and not too light. For me, it is the right weight.

I have not yet investigated the Obsidian GUI for customizing sounds. It looks to be intuitve in the US video.

If one were to purchase just one lightsaber, the Dark Shock RGB with Obsidian sound just might be the best choice as it has all the bases covered.

I hope you found this review worth the time it took to read. You wouldn't believe how much time it took to draft!  Lips sealed

LaserRay
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »

I am unable to edit my original post, so I am adding pictures in this reply.

The hilt:

Purple:

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 07:58:04 PM »

i cant see the pics. i love the shock, especially the dark version. sounds like a great saber

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »

Yea it looks like the pics didn't come through.  Make sure you are using the correct img coding.  If you need help you can PM me and I'll give you an explanation.

LaserRay
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 08:14:29 PM »

Sorry about that! I accidentally hit post before the page was ready. I forgot to mention in my review that I absolutely love this lightsaber and I am very happy with my purchase from Ultrasabers!  The pictures don't do a good job of showing what one sees, but if you look at the color of the light on the wall around the blade, then you get a much better idea of what it looks like.

The hilt:

Red:

Green:

Blue:

Yellow:

Cyan:

Purple:

White:

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »

Beautiful hilt.  Really dig it man!

Salvatore1971
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 5

"Yes, I know, I have a toupée on my head!"

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 08:21:15 PM »

i cant see the pics.

Me too.  Undecided

Luke: "How did my father die?". Obi Wan (thinking and looking around):"And now what will I tell to this guy? Oh yes, sure: my 'certain point of view'!"

I'm Italian. Sorry for my bad en

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 09:06:42 PM »

sweet saber. i was able to see them now. i like the red av  Wink

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:19:48 AM »

Very nice saber! Thanks for sharing!

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 12:26:18 AM »

Just curious, would you have ordered the non-rbg Dark Shock if it would have been available?

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)

LaserRay
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 07:55:46 PM »

No, not this time. I really wanted an RGB model.

I am considering buying a non-RGB Dark Shock if it again becomes available, which I would like to modify. Like many on this forum I am also considering buying other lightsaber models too. I really like the RGB and the Obsidian sound. It will be difficult to buy other lightsabers that do not have both of those options equipped.

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 12:57:34 AM »

No, not this time. I really wanted an RGB model.

I was just wondering.  I have the Shock LE in RGB (and Dark Shock in non-RGB), but I kind of like the shortness of the models without RGB.

LaserRay
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 02:41:01 AM »

You have a very nice collection of lightsabers!  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I was tempted to ask you just that question..., which you preferred RGB or non-RGB.

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 01:30:09 AM »

Non RGB.  But I'm sure my granddaughter will like the Shock LE cause it's shiny and has lots of available colors.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: