Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Enter the fray with a Bellicose. My first saber.  (Read 4762 times)
Nitro Sharp
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 4

I'd rather be in Star Wars

« on: September 17, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »

Hi there. I was introduced to Ultrasabers at the beginning of this summer, and needless to say, I ended up buying my own saber a month later. I have now had it for several weeks, and figured I might as well do a review on it. So without further ado.....

my Bellicose Review!!!

So, first off, I'll give some details on what I specified.  the Bellicose jumped off the page at me right off the bat because not only does it has a very classic look, similar in ways to the Consular, but it was bar none, the lightsaber with the most customizable options. And I like options. Grin

So I started with a specific colour in mind. I wanted a silver blade. I saw a video with a few different colours, and the silver blade looked absolutely dazzling, so I just had to have it. With the blade colour in mind, it made the rest of my choices easier to make. I went with the black blade holder, because it would make the silver light pop that much more. I opted for a chrome accessory button because again, with the silver light, it would just go nicely. I wanted a short groove pommel, because it had a nice ratio of black and silver. I also went with the ultra edge heavy grade blade, Obsidian sound; for obvious reasons, rechargeable batteries; for obvious reasons, and the quick disconnect, because I also wanted to get a replacement colour. And in choosing my second colour, I decided to get one of the 3 more expensive ones because that way I was saving myself $5, in the long run.

So to sum up,
Bellicose saber
Blade LED Color:             Adegan Silver
Blade Holder:                  Black
Blade Option:                  UltraEdge Heavy Grade
Battery Configuration:     Li-Ion Setup (Batteries & Universal Charger Included)
Button Color:                  Chrome
Sound:                           Yes, Obsidian USB Sound!
Pommel Version:             Short Grooves
Quick Disconnect:            Sure, Add Them!
Tip:                                Round Tip
Retention Screw Wrench: Sure!
Modular LED System (MLS) unit [LED Color:You'll see at the end... Wink - Install Quick Disconnect: Yes

Now, on with the actual review.

I was immediately drawn in with that girl. She is beautiful. Period.

The weight is balanced pretty much right at the end of the hilt, which is awesome. The light is so bright, it blinds. Do NOT look into the light while it's on, if you knows what's good for you. With the blade on, it can light up a dark bedroom. Without the blade on, it's even brighter. Fantastic. The sound is loud. And when I say loud, I mean that if you turn it on while the speaker is near your ear, you will probably damage your eardrum.

I live at a camp, and I can light my saber up across a massive field at night, and people on the other side can see, AND hear it clearly. It's beastly.

There are a few downs worth mentioning however.

1. My pommel looks used. And when I say used, I mean abused. It is all scratched up, and looks at least a year older than the rest of my saber. That's the way it arrived.

2. The soundboard sliding issue. The soundboard is attached to the battery pack, which you access through the pommel hole. An issue that I had was that there is an extra 2 inches of space between the top of the soundboard and the button midway up the hilt, and nothing that stopped the soundboard from sliding up during stabs. This was an issue for 2 reasons: first, when it was up the hilt it sounded much more hollow and wimpy, and you could tell that the sound was travelling through a metal tube. The second reason being that the soundboard smashing against the button is just not good for either of them. This problem was solved however, thanks to Xenex. Xenex suggested a simple solution of using a toilet paper roll. I took the roll, cut a few strips, and shoved them above the soundboard, as far as I could. Now it sits right at the bottom by the pommel, still comes out easily for battery changing, and just all-around works nicer.

A few things worth bringing up are the extras on the hilt.

The accessory button, and the covertec knob. The both provide a unique look to the saber, to be sure. And both are removable. The button accessory, is just that. And accessory. It is purely cosmetic, and has no function outside of looks. It can be removed just using your hands, which is nice, but also can be a hindrance, because sometimes it comes off accidentally. The Covertec knob is very useful if you have a covertec belt holder.... which I do not. But hey! It's removable too! This one however, requires a 6-star screwdriver to take it off.
When both of these are removed, the hilt is still very beautiful, easier to do spins with, and the hole from the accessory button gives a little light through it, for a nice touch.

Having a lightsaber also makes you more popular. Walking around with a lightsaber works the same way as a magnet. People flock to you. Whether or not they like Star Wars, they still want to hold it, try it, swing it around.... it can be a bit overwhelming in large groups.

Overall
I love this saber. I would probably give it a 9.5/10. It has been flawless in its uses. And the only issues with it have been minor, and fixable.

I have some pictures, and may do a video review later. But for now....

The saber in hand, for size reference.

DSCF0942 by pléascán, on Flickr

Close-up of the button accessory

DSCF0944 by pléascán, on Flickr

My scratched up pommel

DSCF0940 by pléascán, on Flickr

The Lower half of the hilt, with Covertec

DSCF0943 by pléascán, on Flickr

The Blade holder

DSCF0945 by pléascán, on Flickr

The entire hilt

DSCF0937 by pléascán, on Flickr

The whole saber

DSCF0938 by pléascán, on Flickr

The Saber on

DSCF0946 by pléascán, on Flickr

The Saber-flashlight

DSCF0950 by pléascán, on Flickr

The blade lit up

DSCF0947 by pléascán, on Flickr

My spare MLS unit

DSCF0954 by pléascán, on Flickr

And at last, the extra MLS unit's colour....

DSCF0955 by pléascán, on Flickr

And Sun Rider's Destiny in the dark

DSCF0958 by pléascán, on Flickr

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
~Capt. Zapp Brannigan

~I'd rather be in Star Wars~

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »

Great review! Don't you just love Adegan Silver? You need to get yourself some Lee Filters!

imperialknight23
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 154

I will remember you brothers and sisters, Always.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 06:34:38 PM »

beautiful saber my friend, very beautiful.  i personally opt for more simplistic designs (also cause i'm kinda cheap... Tongue) (edit: but with ultrasabers, no matter what your budget, their sabers are beautiful nonetheless)

I have a Prophecy in SRD, but i use NiMH batteries.  so that beautiful mix lasts about a total of 2 hours, then its turns to a dim, dark consular green.  You wont have to worry about that though!  Them Lith-Ions will hold that color till death.  I must say i'm quite jealous.

Adegan silver is my next choice for a saber color.  At first i was kinda skeptical about it because in Ultra Edge it looked kinda like a fluorescent tube light.  After trollin around, people report its has more of that silver color in non-ultraedge. still, in your bellicose it looks brilliant. 

I like how you revolved the hilt design to lend to the blade color.

Enjoy your saber my friend,  and may the force be with you.

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia
Drk Initiate V2 LE AS Redemption
Drk Initiate V3 LE GB Hope
Bellicose DVA AB  Lumineux

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »

For the button, I think a little hot glue or Elmer's would work well. It should adhere enough to keep it from accidentally flying off during a duel, but not be permanent so you can still remove it if you want to.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Nitro Sharp
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 4

I'd rather be in Star Wars

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:31:07 PM »

@RLYHYPERGUY - Oh, it's gorgeous. I had several people think I was crazy when I told them the colour, but then when they saw it, most of them were really taken back by it's brilliant colour.

@imperialknight23 - I completely agree with the simplistic approach. My friend has a dark datalyst, and I love how sleek it is. Simplistic is much better for spins and such, but I couldn't resist designing a hilt to match the blade colour. And believe me, I've already enjoyed the heck out of this saber. I don't see me growing tired of this anytime soon.

@ThreadJack - Hot glue does seem like a good way to go about it. I haven't gotten to the point where I find the button bothersome yet, but if I do get there, I will take your advice on the glue.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
~Capt. Zapp Brannigan

~I'd rather be in Star Wars~

imperialknight23
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »

@RLYHYPERGUY - Oh, it's gorgeous. I had several people think I was crazy when I told them the colour, but then when they saw it, most of them were really taken back by it's brilliant colour.

Yea, when i first found ultrasabers, i had mad love for the adegan silver, mostly because i fell in love with the way the imperial knight lightsabers looked (have you seen them?).  somewhere a long the way i misguided myself away from it.  But now that i feel i can be confident in its silver color (in a midgrade regular blade), i hope it's willing to forgive me for my betrayal lol

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 09:13:18 PM »

very nice saber. it is a very nice lloking hilt and very customizable ( is that a word???) Grin enjoy your saber

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »

Yea, when i first found ultrasabers, i had mad love for the adegan silver, mostly because i fell in love with the way the imperial knight lightsabers looked (have you seen them?).  somewhere a long the way i misguided myself away from it.  But now that i feel i can be confident in its silver color (in a midgrade regular blade), i hope it's willing to forgive me for my betrayal lol

I'm sure it will. To me white is the color of forgiveness.

imperialknight23
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 09:48:32 PM »

I'm sure it will. To me white is the color of forgiveness.

Its an Dark Initiate V2 with AS.  maybe called redemption?

Still its a great color, to walk into a place with a buncha cliche colors, and turn heads when your bellicose roars to life and blinds everyone with that dazzling white light.

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 10:55:46 PM »

Its an Dark Initiate V2 with AS.  maybe called redemption?

Still its a great color, to walk into a place with a buncha cliche colors, and turn heads when your bellicose roars to life and blinds everyone with that dazzling white light.

My thoughts exactly!  Wink

Nyte
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -27

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 08:02:58 AM »

Nice review! I have a bellicose too, and it sure is an awesome and balanced saber though some people think it's a bit big.
I actually had some scratches on my pommel too, but nothing that extreme! Sucks when you get your first saber like that.
My first saber was a Shock LE, and it arrived with scratches on the golden part of the emitter and a broken battery holder.
UPS Worldwide really seem to handle their packages brutally.. My next saber had a broken blade..
But, if you're willing to wait and send it back, they do pay for replacements.
I figured it wasn't worth it with the battery pack, but the blade was sent back the same day I got it.

Anyhow, love the AS! I think with my next order, I'll throw in Adegan Silver and Sentinel Yellow MLS units.
Mostly cause I want one of my sabers to work as a flashlight! ^^

Shock LE - GB x2
Dark Prophecy - BR
Bellicose - Obsidian, blue AV, QD
Consular - Obsidian, blue AV, QD
Dark War Glaive - Obsidian, red AV, QD
Archon V2 - Obsidian, green AV, QD
CG, BR, VA, GB, FO, SRD MLS units

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 03:29:11 AM »

For the scraches, I would bet that the package was opened enroute for inspection, and probably damaged there.  I have noticed that every once in awhile one of my boxes looks like it has been opened and then resealed.

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)
=====================================================================

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »

Whoa, nice saber!  Gotta love the Bellicose, that thing has such a classic Jedi look to it.  The SRD and AS are fantastic (and somewhat rare) colors too, they look great on it.  A fine choice, I commend you!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: