Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Medallion  (Read 2504 times)
Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« on: February 02, 2016, 12:29:41 PM »

I just want to give a HUGE shout out and thank you to Bulvoy for making this medallion for me and walking me through how to secure it.  He made one for his saber, and it made me jealous.  He was kind enough to make me one, too. For some reason, one of the pictures gives it a yellowish tint, but it is silver.

Thanks, Bulvoy!

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 01:46:37 PM »

Nice! How is it attached to the saber?

Halnis
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 13

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 02:10:22 PM »

Id love to know how he got the curve in it... ive thought of doing this with coins and just JB welding them to the saber but the curving has stopped me. Simply hammering them isnt exactly the best for the coin

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"There must be both dark and light. I will do what I must to keep the balance, as the balance is what holds all life. There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish. There is passion, yet peace; serenity, yet emotion; chaos, yet order. I am a wielder of the flame; a champion of balance. I am a guardian of life. I am a Gray Jedi."  ~
Leor Danal

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 03:15:38 PM »

Yeah I LOVE that medallion!  It's so crisply/ nicely etched- points to both you and Bulvoy asap Smiley.  I'd love to try that salt water etching in future I see people create such amazing designs with it- very cool.  I'd imagine that design would be kinda tricky to transfer over/ stencil, which is part of prep for process if I understand it right.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »

I have no ideas how he etched it. He described it on an earlier thread where he showed what he did for his Manticore.

It's attached with 2 part loctite epoxy. I took the picture as soon as it started to set and gild. I went back with some acetone and a toothpick to clean up the excess that seeped out. Some of those lines around the medallion are actually surface scratches, so it looks really clean now.

As for the bend, I imagine he has a dowel or pipe that is set to the right diameter. It's a really thin blank, so it wouldn't take much to bend it with a hammer. A rubber mallet would probably work to protect the etching. But, you'd have to ask him.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Bulvoy
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 500

~Sipra Gehaz~ Rebel Legion "Ghost Base"

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 10:23:14 PM »

Thanks, Bulvoy!

Your Very Welcome, i'm Glad you like it,  i'll try to address a few questions :
Id love to know how he got the curve in it... ive thought of doing this with coins and just JB welding them to the saber but the curving has stopped me. Simply hammering them isnt exactly the best for the coin

two ways i tried ( this is a 20gauge  nickel-silver 3/4" blank
#1. used welding gloves , needle nose pliers heated the back side a little bit then held it over a 3/4" INNER diameter  pipe 1" roughly and started bending ( results weren't so good the heat made some splotches.

#2. this worked way better i cut out a steel  pipe to make a  half pipe, medallion on the inside , spare  semi-hard rubber pieces  down and on top  & bottom to  protect said medallion DO NOT overheat you will run the risk of rubber melting only need some heat transfer , heated up with a regular cheap propane torch ( any hardware store) then tap it with round end of ball peen hammer, little taps , then constantly check fit/ In this case i used my manticore for the fit

I'd love to try that salt water etching in future I see people create such amazing designs with it- very cool.  I'd imagine that design would be kinda tricky to transfer over/ stencil, which is part of prep for process if I understand it right.

Salt water etching with a 9v battery  mini aligator leads , Q-tip works pretty good, just have to make lots of passes to color fill, i did electo etching,with salt water image sticker and lots of free hand its a eco-friendly  small hobby machine.
Soon to be  project- I ordered 22 gauge aluminum & copper blanks 7/8" ( im thinking that thin can bend easily,yet still be stiff for this application without having to use heat), and i will be using the transparent peel and press blue PC board transfer paper with an  image printed out on my Laser printer the toner ink to create the image sealant ( reversed of course)
        heat applied on, then masking backside, and using PCB etchant solution from radio shack ( $10.) 2 parts water, 1 part etchant soak in clean off  i did a test with scrap aluminum already it came out nice, so i think i'll be able to make them fast and easy when supplies arrive. along with a necklace for myself when in jedi garb for outings

************************************************** READ*****************************************************************************************
**** NOTE  anyone reading this if you are going to use this solution remember  ALWAYS MIX ACID TO WATER. NEVER, NEVER WATER TO ACID you will burn yourself. Read up on the process

It's attached with 2 part loctite epoxy. I took the picture as soon as it started to set and gild. I went back with some acetone and a toothpick to clean up the excess

As far as the epoxy Don't be fooled this wicked strong stuff, throw the jb weld away. sandpaper score the backside, then the 2 part loctite marine  resin & hardener its like nails, on a spare pommel for test i obviously couldn't move it with my fingers, and it took alotta effort to just lift an edge with a screw driver. My original application was tack down with this, then i soldered edges, which solder was overkill, it will hold trust me

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:30:16 PM by Bulvoy » Logged

UltraSaber's by bulvoy, on Flickr
Menace - Emerald V4s- RavenSS pommel
Manticore V4s-CG- S /FOC-Renegade small pommel
Crimson Scorpion- V4s-BR- O/FOC
Dominix V3s-SRD
Initiate V4 Lite- VA
            "Im here to chew bubblegum & kick ass, and I'm all outta bubblegum"...

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 04:02:09 AM »

Thanks Bulvoy Smiley.  Those medallions look amazing!  Point awarded.

Halnis
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 13

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 04:15:59 AM »

Indeed! Well done all round. I picked up what i needed from lowes so I will be bending my coin in a bit!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"There must be both dark and light. I will do what I must to keep the balance, as the balance is what holds all life. There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish. There is passion, yet peace; serenity, yet emotion; chaos, yet order. I am a wielder of the flame; a champion of balance. I am a guardian of life. I am a Gray Jedi."  ~
Leor Danal

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: