Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Real Difference between Obsidian V3 and V4  (Read 4998 times)
LordTargaryus
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -17

Dark Side Points

« on: February 03, 2016, 05:12:00 PM »

I'm considering making my first saber purchase (been reading this forum and watching reviews for over 2 years now). I'm going with a TRI Blazing Red Bellicose. The only hang up right now is sound. I want a more violent sound than the default Sith font I've been hearing on reviews but I don't like the more eccentric stuff like the fonts EERock has been reviewing on his Youtube channel. I really really like the Sabercore Crimson font from another SaberSmith so that's kind of what I'm looking for. If I get the V4, will I get unique fonts that I wouldn't be able to get with the V3?

[Mod Edit]
Hey LordTargaryus- Definitely understand using another saberSmith as a point of reference for asking a question and that there was no intent to promote them.  I've removed their name since you also used the "Sabercore Crimson" font by name so people can investigate that if they are curious.  Our rules do state that we do NOT allow the posting or promotion of other Saber Smiths by name in our forums.  While SaberForum.com is a hub for Saber Enthusiasts of all kinds, it is still a page that is intended for discussion and sharing of our own (UltraSabers.com) products.  Hope this helps.  ~Admiral Snackbar
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:03:54 PM by Deep » Logged

Own:
Bellicose+TRI Blazing Red+Obsidian V4
Want:
Malice+TRI Blazing Red+Obsidian V4
Dark Shock LE+Emerald+Obsidian V4

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »

Mostly no, slightly yes.  If you have a soundfont that needs more space than V3 has available, you would need V4 to use it.  On the other hand, for a typically-sized soundfont, the big gain of V4 over V3 is the ability to have multiples installed and switch between them readily; if you're only using a single soundfont, V4 isn't better in that regard.

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »

Other than more memory space and the ability to select from multiple sound fonts there isn't that much difference between the v3 and v4 (some say the sound is crisper on the v4, but that might just be newer speakers).

An advantage on the v4 over the v3 is the ability to switch fonts...like using the silent font to mute the lightsaber.  Useful if you are someplace were you need to have the lightsaber turned on, but don't want or should not have the sound on.  That alone I think is worth $10.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »

The base price of a Bellicose with Premium Sound is $239. To upgrade that to Obsidian V4 is an extra $10, which is an extra 4.2% in cost of the base price. Need I say more?

LordTargaryus
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -17

Dark Side Points

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 09:28:38 PM »

The base price of a Bellicose with Premium Sound is $239. To upgrade that to Obsidian V4 is an extra $10, which is an extra 4.2% in cost of the base price. Need I say more?

Haha nope. The extra $10 is negligible at best. I appreciate everyone's help in this matter.

Own:
Bellicose+TRI Blazing Red+Obsidian V4
Want:
Malice+TRI Blazing Red+Obsidian V4
Dark Shock LE+Emerald+Obsidian V4

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 10:55:05 PM »

I think you hit the key issue there.  If saving $10 is important, you'll save far more by getting Obsidian Lite; if it's not, then get Obsidian V4.  Even if the only feature you ever use on V4 is muting (ie, font-switching to the silent font), that's worth $10 right there in my opinion.

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 06:11:11 AM »

The v4 comes with 8 fonts:

The Default Obsidian sounds
"Blackstar"
Sith sounds
"Ancient Saber"
"Episode 1"
"Episode 2"
"Episode 6"
Silent = mute setting

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Songerdonger87
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 12:37:26 AM »

So if I’m only gonna use the standard sound then the v4 isn’t something I need? Like is there a sound improvement from the v3 to v4?

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 01:06:34 AM »

So if I’m only gonna use the standard sound then the v4 isn’t something I need? Like is there a sound improvement from the v3 to v4?

From what I can find, since I only own Obsidian v4 or Diamond controlled lightsabers from ultraSabers:

Obsidian v3 only 1 active bank to use, unless you connect to the launcher program to manually change it, so if you're only going to use standard sound then v3 works for you. Obsidian v4 allows font bank change using the switch.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 03:30:50 AM »

If you're asking if there is a sound quality improvement, the answer is not really. I have both Obsidian v3 and v4 sabers (the first saber I got had v3 because v4 didn't exist yet). They sound pretty much the same for the fonts I'm using. If you were having your saber talk to you, or play music, there might be a bigger difference, I don't know. But for just lightsaber noises, they're pretty much the same.

But as was said before, being able to mute the sound with just the push of a button alone is worth the extra $10 in my opinion.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 04:50:46 AM »

If you have a Mac, it’s important to know that the v3 will not work with it, but the v4 will.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 10:01:23 AM »

I only have one saber with sound, a Obsidian v3. I thought I read somewhere that the v4 has the ability to change the volume or at least have a 'silent-font'. Might be something to consider. I like the sound, but it's loud, and personally I find that really distracting when training for a long time. 5 minutes is fun, but an hour of ful volume whoosing and rattling is a bit much for my ears. 

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 08:58:42 AM »

I only have one saber with sound, a Obsidian v3. I thought I read somewhere that the v4 has the ability to change the volume or at least have a 'silent-font'. Might be something to consider. I like the sound, but it's loud, and personally I find that really distracting when training for a long time. 5 minutes is fun, but an hour of ful volume whoosing and rattling is a bit much for my ears.  

Yes, the v4 has a Mute font and I think that alone makes it worth the upgrade price.

If you scroll up about 6 posts you'll see the full list of default fonts the v4 comes with.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: