Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Achieving a Darker Purple  (Read 4744 times)
firewisplet
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 32

"You were my brother Anakin! I lava'd you!"

« on: February 07, 2016, 11:05:18 PM »

So, for the past few days I've been tinkering around with the Emerald Driver to try to find a favorite shade of purple, and I'm a little obsessed about finding the exact shade of colour I want.
I've noticed though, that it's really good at making bane's heart pink, hot pink, pink, violet, amethyst, lavender, and orchid colours, but I'm finding it difficult to make a dark purple while keeping the blade reasonably bright. The best I can do is about the same color as dark violet amethyst but that is still a little bit too pinkish for my tastes. I've been thinking about buying a purple "The other guys" day blade, because I'll be able to make the blade darker while still keeping it bright enough to awe the people around me. What do you guys think?
I'm looking for this shade of purple, dark but still vibrant
http://www.color-hex.com/color/5a0b74
But I'm getting mostly mellow lavenders like this
http://www.color-hex.com/color/9150a5

I've been fiddling around a lot, but I can't get just the right colour I'm looking for. I'm really considering buying the day blade so I can get some darker shades, and so my saber can still look majestic in bright rooms and daylight, but I'm not too keen about the idea that my barely-connected film could fly out of the blade if I have so much as a little... "accident." Any advice?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:43:38 PM by firewisplet » Logged

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 11:24:31 PM »

One quick thing, out of courtesy to Ultrasabers we refrain from  mentioning the name of other saber smiths on this forum. Simply write "the other guys" when referring to them. We'll all know who you mean.

With regards to the blade colour exactly how dark do you want the purple to be?

firewisplet
Knight Templar

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:06:49 AM »

One quick thing, out of courtesy to Ultrasabers we refrain from  mentioning the name of other saber smiths on this forum. Simply write "the other guys" when referring to them. We'll all know who you mean.

With regards to the blade colour exactly how dark do you want the purple to be?

Okay, the other guys. You know, pretty much the only ones to make day blades.

Right, so we can make mellow purples easily, lets use Mace Windu and a quick 2 second trip to paint.net to see what kind of color i'm seeing in real life
The actual apperance, a mellow, airy lavender

But I want to make a darker, "fuller" purple like this-

Basically, I want a dark purple that is as vibrant as bane's heart, but has the color of dark violet amethyst. Mace Windu doesn't really do my point justice.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:37:20 AM by firewisplet » Logged

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 12:16:01 AM »

Let me pm you a youtube video link that might help. It contains review of blades fom the other guys, but using them to create new colours.

firewisplet
Knight Templar

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 12:34:16 AM »

Let me pm you a youtube video link that might help. It contains review of blades from the other guys, but using them to create new colours.
From his descriptions of them, it sounds like a day blade is the way to go, but you never know when watching a video where you're basing what colour it appears primarily off of rough descriptions. I want to see if there are any cheaper ways than buying another blade though. Would adding purple colour disk(s) to an already-purple saber make the purple any more bold without any significant dimming?

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 12:41:08 AM »

As far as i know, adding colour discs will only end up dimming the light not mske it darker. Also, because of the light spectrum, you might up blocking the light completely.

firewisplet
Knight Templar

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 02:56:30 AM »

As a bonus, this is its true color. This is what I meant when I said "mellow airy lavender"

GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 01:27:43 AM »

As you notice, even in your pics, it sacrifices brightness. To some extent, if you want a darker color, you naturally will probably lose some brightness.

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

firewisplet
Knight Templar

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 08:38:46 AM »

As you notice, even in your pics, it sacrifices brightness. To some extent, if you want a darker color, you naturally will probably lose some brightness.
I am willing to sacrifice some brightness, yes.

GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 08:44:59 PM »

I am willing to sacrifice some brightness, yes.
Then I'd channel in DVA and then try to add maybe more blue?

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

Roband
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -38

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 03:56:13 AM »

Yep, your best bet to get the darkest Purple possible will be
1 Max out Blue
2 Add red until you get a hue that is close (it will probably be a little white-ish/lavender so...)
3 Dial back both red and blue to darken the whole color (you may have to dial red back at double the ratio of what you dial back blue to maintain the color)
4 When you have noticed the blade becoming too dim for your taste, you have reached the limit of what is achievable in the Dark color vs intense light ratio...

PASSION, yet PEACE
SERENITY, yet EMOTION
CHAOS, yet ORDER
THE FORCE, in BALANCE

Grey Owl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 81

We don't like Star Wars, we live for Star Wars.

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 05:25:54 AM »

Okay, the other guys. You know, pretty much the only ones to make day blades.

Right, so we can make mellow purples easily, lets use Mace Windu and a quick 2 second trip to paint.net to see what kind of color i'm seeing in real life
The actual apperance, a mellow, airy lavender

But I want to make a darker, "fuller" purple like this-

Basically, I want a dark purple that is as vibrant as bane's heart, but has the color of dark violet amethyst. Mace Windu doesn't really do my point justice.

Use a white color disc and color it in black sharpie over a VA led and there you go.

Dark sentinel LE(blazing red)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: