Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: PSA: Obsidian Lite Soundboard  (Read 7982 times)
GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 12:53:22 AM »

I think this thread is great GG . . . and what you're all doing here is just highlighting the differences Smiley

Everyone has different wants and priorities, and some people want the ability to change sounds if they want but never actually change them . . . they just want the ability because thats cool and they can afford it and justify that . . . but some really stretch to afford sound at all and that is the reason the LITE board exists, so those people can get sound without pushing there budget even more . . . and I for one think the LITE board is AWESOME for that reason alone . . . Smiley

In my case, I don't care about muting/changing fonts so I'm happy with getting rechargables and using the LITE board! In fact, all my wishlisted sabers are to be equipped with the LITE board.

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

Trent957
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 24

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 01:26:35 AM »

Its ultimately a preference thing in the end

I originally wanted a Lite in my Flamberge, but opted for the V3 since I wanted Li-ion and bumped up to the V4 cause I wanted the mute function without having to go back to my PC anytime I didn't want sound.  Tho to be honest, i doubt I will be swapping fonts that often once I set all the ones I want, unless another one comes around that peaks my interest.

The Lite offers a budget friendly option and for those that don't care or need all the customizing. Tho I do think that US should offer a "sith" version of it, give it a lil customizing  Wink

Sabers owned:
Dominix V3 Stunt Saber CG
Flamberge V2 w/Obsidian V4 CG

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 02:26:43 AM »

Its ultimately a preference thing in the end

Yes, and a budget or priority thing . . . Smiley

I'll take one of my favourite hilts as an example . . . The Sentinel v4  Cool

As a Stunt saber you could choose completely basic, single cree LED in GC for example, standard AAA, heavy grade 36" blade, no windows etc for $79.99 . . . an AWESOME bright LED saber for hours of duelling fun, rock solid hilt & blade construction . . . (even cheaper at $69.99 with a mid grade blade  Wink)

The same Stunt could have a SRD LED, and the choice of Li-Ion with BuckPuck for full battery life colour consistency, and a recharge port with 1.2A charger so you can leave it displayed LIT UP on your mantle piece ALL day long  Grin . . . for $204.99 . . . same rock solid hilt & blade construction, still no sound . . .

Lets say you have a more "open" budget, and just want all the bells and whistles . . . Emerald + Obsidian v4 + recharge port etc (still the same hilt & blade), maybe add a spiffy illuminated av switch . . . all yours for only $474.99  Wink

Ok . . . well thats going over the top, lol . . . lets pull it back and ditch the Emerald . . . but go Tri-CG, Obsidian v4 etc (same as above but not Emerald) . . . that brings it back to a more reasonable $349.99 . . . great . . . then you run that by the Boss (lol, your wife or your mum, you know the drill Wink), and they say, WTF, you want to spend WHAT on a TOY ! ! !

Ok, lets get rid of the recharge port . . . we're at $264.99 . . . still with the v4 and fancy av switch  Smiley . . . but thats still pushing the budget for some  Cry Cry

So we come back to Obsidian LITE . . . We get the exact same rock solid hilt & blade construction, choose the single cree CG again (still very bright, and more recommended to go with a single cree over a tri-cree for the LITE setup anyway), and this time stay with the standard switch, and we're back to $179.99 ($10 cheaper for mid grade blade) . . . that's $25 cheaper than the stunt with a recharge port  Cool . . . more affordable, and an AWESOME option WITH SOUND for those pushing their budget to even that level . . .  Cool . . . and much more "Boss" friendly  Wink

For the record (#1) . . . the same hilt with Obsidian v3 sound, Li-Ion & Resistor, standard switch etc. would be $214.99 ($35 more that the LITE as above) . . . "Its ultimately a preference thing in the end" Wink . . . and . . . you might want to wrap some electrical tape around that LITE battery pack in heavy deulling  Wink

For the record (#2) . . . I'm a "saber addict", and an av switch "snob", lol, but these days I'd mostly order sabers with NO sound because I add the av switches and other mods myself . . . and at the same time . . . my very last order (Archon v3.1 a couple weeks ago, still waiting for shipping with everyone else  Wink) is spec'd with Obsidian LITE (although, the LITE board is going to be used in another "project", lol) . . . cheers Smiley
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:40:02 AM by JediXIX » Logged

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 06:04:45 AM »

If and once they get around to have multiple types of LITE soundboards (a Sith LITE for instance, or a Blackstar LITE) than things can be basic while still fitting the individual taste and blade color on the cheap.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Lantron
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 04:41:27 PM »

If and once they get around to have multiple types of LITE soundboards (a Sith LITE for instance, or a Blackstar LITE) than things can be basic while still fitting the individual taste and blade color on the cheap.

Really? Sad that i didn't know this, how would I specify that in the order comments?

Anyway, My friends and I went on a huge buying spree and have about 7 of us with lite sound. The reason we went with lite? While we all have jobs and make our own money, we are still in high school and spending 250 on our sabers already seemed ridiculous to most parents. We duel all the time and for the first few weeks, we became disappointed with the batteries knocking loose, even with tightly wrapped electrical tape in some instances. So i got to thinking, how can i fix this? well i ended up using something called friendly plastic, a thermomorphing plastic that is clear and soft when boiled, but is super strong when cooled. I used this to create a secondary battery cover that slides over the case. Result? Massive heavy dueling with no fear of shutoff. hope this helps some people.

Trent957
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 24

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »

Really? Sad that i didn't know this, how would I specify that in the order comments?

There is only soundfont for the Lites.

The different Lite chips with different soundfonts is something that we hope happens tho.

Sabers owned:
Dominix V3 Stunt Saber CG
Flamberge V2 w/Obsidian V4 CG

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 05:41:24 AM »

Hey guys, for my next saber I'm probably going to get Ob-Lite. My question is less about the soundcard itself, but more on the battery life: I heard that the Standard setup doesn't accommodate light and sound quite as well as Li-On, so which option would be less draining on the Standard setup, Tri-Cree or Flash on Clash? I'd want maximum brightness, but if the Standard can't handle both Tri and Ob-Lite I'll just go with FoC.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 07:43:25 AM »

Hey guys, for my next saber I'm probably going to get Ob-Lite. My question is less about the soundcard itself, but more on the battery life: I heard that the Standard setup doesn't accommodate light and sound quite as well as Li-On, so which option would be less draining on the Standard setup, Tri-Cree or Flash on Clash? I'd want maximum brightness, but if the Standard can't handle both Tri and Ob-Lite I'll just go with FoC.
Users have reported that TRI cree with ObLite is very power drawing and even on fully charged batteries, you get a blade flicker. I'd recommend FoC.

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 08:39:18 AM »

Users have reported that TRI cree with ObLite is very power drawing and even on fully charged batteries, you get a blade flicker. I'd recommend FoC.

For sure then, thanks!

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 05:30:35 AM »

Sorry for the necropost but since this thread has been brought up recently, I had to share my 2 cents.  Personally I love my obsidian lite in my signature saber below.  Yes it is nice to switch sound fonts and mute, but if you want a saber that is always ready, loud, and consistent at an affordable price, lite is the way to go.  I like that my azure reaper is in a way fixed, the LED is always tri-cree blue, the sound font is always obsidian, it has a beautiful simplicity to it that makes it a continued go to saber even though now I have sabers with premium sound, quick disconnects, and diamond.  There is no multiple personality with my obsidian lite azure reaper, and I don't get tired of the obsidian sound font, it is really well done, the sensitivity is spot on, just really good standard especially if you already have a set of rechargeable AAA batteries and a charger for it like I did.

And yes the battery life is not great but I only get a flicker when the batteries are dying, never at full charge.  Full continuous use I would put at under an hour but intermittent use like 5 -10 minutes at a time, it can go for days without a charge. To be honest, my diamond with all the effects on it, is the one that gets least battery life on continuous use.  My tri-cree obsidian lite azure reaper is somewhere in the middle between my stunts and my diamond and it even has a lit AV so really probably the most draining setup you can think of and it still works well, still the brightest of all my sabers.  Of my US sabers with sound the longest battery life is probably my raffle prize dark arbiter with Li-ion and V3 sound with single red LED and no AV light and no FOC, which makes sense because it has the best battery setup and the least demanding functions.

So in conclusion if you want to save money, obsidian lite is great option that you should not be worried about even on a fully loaded saber like mine.  But if you want brightest possible and have the cash then Li-ion setup with Tri-Cree is the obvious way to go.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

DarthTavion
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -23

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 07:38:07 PM »

I just wish they would offer stunts with the illuminated AV switch option, really the only feature I miss.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 08:50:33 PM »

Sorry for the necropost but since this thread has been brought up recently, I had to share my 2 cents.  Personally I love my obsidian lite in my signature saber below.  Yes it is nice to switch sound fonts and mute, but if you want a saber that is always ready, loud, and consistent at an affordable price, lite is the way to go.  I like that my azure reaper is in a way fixed, the LED is always tri-cree blue, the sound font is always obsidian, it has a beautiful simplicity to it that makes it a continued go to saber even though now I have sabers with premium sound, quick disconnects, and diamond.  There is no multiple personality with my obsidian lite azure reaper, and I don't get tired of the obsidian sound font, it is really well done, the sensitivity is spot on, just really good standard especially if you already have a set of rechargeable AAA batteries and a charger for it like I did.

And yes the battery life is not great but I only get a flicker when the batteries are dying, never at full charge.  Full continuous use I would put at under an hour but intermittent use like 5 -10 minutes at a time, it can go for days without a charge. To be honest, my diamond with all the effects on it, is the one that gets least battery life on continuous use.  My tri-cree obsidian lite azure reaper is somewhere in the middle between my stunts and my diamond and it even has a lit AV so really probably the most draining setup you can think of and it still works well, still the brightest of all my sabers.  Of my US sabers with sound the longest battery life is probably my raffle prize dark arbiter with Li-ion and V3 sound with single red LED and no AV light and no FOC, which makes sense because it has the best battery setup and the least demanding functions.

So in conclusion if you want to save money, obsidian lite is great option that you should not be worried about even on a fully loaded saber like mine.  But if you want brightest possible and have the cash then Li-ion setup with Tri-Cree is the obvious way to go.
Great post Edon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2026

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 11:00:40 PM »

I have to comment on an old post too. I was actually thinking of wrapping a piece of velcro around my Obsidian Lite pack to hold the batteries in better, then add like a tab thing so you can pull out the pack better so you don't have to tap the saber. I'll have to try this out. I'll post results sometime =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: