Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Is obsidian lite good?  (Read 2881 times)
Seni Kai
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« on: February 22, 2016, 07:21:35 AM »

Obviously it's not going to be as high quality as obsidian regular. But with the 4xAAA is it still good quality?

There must be both dark and light. I will do what I must to keep the balance, as the balance is what holds all life. There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish. There is passion, yet peace; serenity, yet emotion; chaos, yet order. I am a wielder of the flame; a champion of balance. I am a guardian of life. I am a Gray Jedi.
(Bellicose Consular Green)

(Bellicose Consular Green)

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 07:43:17 AM »

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=28771.0

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 07:47:21 AM »

Reports from people that have them say the LITE is just as good as the Obsidian v3 in terms of sound quality.  They have a lower battery life due to them using 4 x AAA batteries.  Something like 90 minutes of solid use, while the Li-Ion batteries tend to last 2 hours from what I've read.  Not left mine on that long to see.

The LITE just doesn't have the ability to change anything about it.  It is what it is, a quality soundboard with the default Obsidian sound font.  Nothing else.

There is an issue with the batteries sometimes momentarily popping out and in, but that is corrected with electrical tape or Velcro strips to keep them secure.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »

Yeah this is my thread. There's a bit of debate but I think we LITE supporters have presented compelling arguments.

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 02:15:04 AM »

My only problem with my Obsidian Lite is that I can't change the volume, and it's a little on the loud side.  (Surprised my wife and scared my cat the first time I fired it up.)  To be honest, though, the lack of volume control wouldn't even be a problem for me other than that it utterly drowns out the Hasbro board that I hacked into my Aeon!  Cheesy

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1453

Ki tsimsima tuti mazo Galactic, Nu qorit dudnims!

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 12:28:41 AM »

Zhol ai sith nuo beze hani tikazi elgtimas nuo zo cosplay vodsasia vi Nu valia. Nu dary nenx kaggath ir armio zinot diena asmenys, mazo Nu dary nenx adata kia zinot zhol ant visa tave amzi. Nu itik savjak mins avg tikazi dulsirse elgtimas rechargeable NiCad misasea. Vi zo Tsis, Nu dary nenx vageine qutza nuo tave default" non-Tsis" geros mivsimyoha, kad inama'ia (this valia jirai is tave future) buti nenx prienulus tikazi Nu tvarka zhol nam'oru/nam'myim. Nuyak kitas vidta valia zinot vel vel vurijenas ir tihpi.
(It's perfect for most purposes when using for a cosplay prop as I will. I don't duel and also have day blades, so I don't need to have it on all the time. I get 70 mins avg when constantly using rechargeable NiCad batteries. As a Sith, I don't particularly care for the default "non-Sith" sound font, but options (this will change in the future) weren't available when I ordered it 11/15. My next saber will have more more bells and whistles.)

Old Bean Kenobi
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 62

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 12:42:23 AM »

The LITE is good from the sound standpoint, easily the eqivalent of a v3 or v4 Obsidian in terms of playing a single font.

Just some things to keep in mind if you want to order one.

*Might not be the best option in terms of battery life to order a Tri-Cree LED with a LITE setup due to the relatively smaller voltage to power all of the components compared to a Li-Ion.

*Might not be the best option to order a mixed diode color (any color you CAN order as a TRI-LED is a single-diode color, other colors are composed of smaller diodes in different shades; for example, Violet Amethyst is a red-diode and a blue-diode in the same emitter) due to some colors fading when the AAA batteries are down to about 1/3 charge.

*You are very likely going to want rechargable AAA batteries, which will close a LOT of the costs with going AAA+LITE vs LI-ION + v3 Obsidian.Otherwise you will be kicking yourself over how "hungry" your saber is in terms of consuming batteries.

Curious about battery life on a AAA battery setup with Tri-LED and Obsidian Lite? Check this thread:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=27171.0

Sabers: Graflex SE in Tri-GB/Obsidian LITE, Overlord in Tri-CG/Obsidian v4, Emerald Scorpion/Obsidian V4, Emerald Fulcrum/Obsidian V4, Fulcrum in "violent amethyst"/Obsidian V3.

Walther White
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 08:38:21 PM »

I'm new to this hobby (it's awesome btw) and recently purchased my 1st and shortly there after my 2nd Ultrasaber.  My first saber was a $200 mystery saber with lite sound and it's great, but it seems like it has lower motion sensitivity than the Obsidian font on my 2nd saber which is a Diamond saber.  I'm assuming the V4 soundboard would be similar to the Diamond since it has adjustable sensitivity, is that right?

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 12:18:52 AM »

Hi.  The v4 soundboard comes with x8 quality sound fonts including the mute to stunt saber.  There is no adjustable sensitivity of either the volume, LED color or any motions such as flash on clash and lock up.  In the past often a soundboard and Emerald driver combination was chosen.  With the Diamond board this has changed the need for two separate functions.

The v4 Obs. is well worth the small extra charge from the v3.  Even if the saber is left on the standard Obsidian font the mute option is quite valuable to have.  The ObsLite is a good step down to still have a sound saber.  I have 2 and the sound quality is good if not a tad too loud.  Have had no problems with a battery slightly popping out of alignment causing the saber to stop functioning. Smiley

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 12:23:46 AM »

I've got a saber with premium sound and a saber with light sound. They're practically the same thing. Very good quality, very loud, very Star Wars. The light option just does not allow you to add additional sounds or to change the fonts. But I happen to like them the way they are, and find that the light sound does indeed do the job. Just my thoughts on the subject.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 12:24:56 AM »

I have it in my Dark Sentinel LE from my first Mystery Box purchase and I really like it. I don't mind just the single standard Obsidian font for my saber =] Yeah the AAA batteries are still annoying to deal with but oh well, you'll have something fun to play with while you save up for a higher end Obsidian saber, nothing wrong with that I don't think =] I don't really duel a lot so timing doesn't bother me much

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 04:50:35 AM »

With the AAA battery setups like on obsidian lite, they do pop out under VERY HEAVY dueling, I mean my son running at me full speed and lunging overhead attack type blows while I swing a home run towards him in the opposite direction, but then just tape them in place if you are doing that level of dueling.  We tape our stunt saber batteries in place too but again that is directly due to the fact that we don't hold back on the strength in which we clash with where the Velcro strip just doesn't cut it.

Oh yeah and rechargeable batteries are an absolute must have, no question.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Sparky_D
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 53

Bantha PooDoo, Ha ha ha ha ha....

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 06:38:22 PM »

My only problem with my Obsidian Lite is that I can't change the volume, and it's a little on the loud side...

I had the same issue with my Dominix V4 when I first got it.
I ended up purchasing a Consular pommel for it and added a thin foam disc to the inside of the vent holes to help mute the sound a little.

Made a huge difference.

Old dog trying to learn new tricks...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: