Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: First Saber, First Review - Dark Apprentice LE w/ Raven SS Pommel  (Read 4829 times)
Kraxtor
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

Balance: tipping the scales back towards neutral

« on: March 06, 2016, 02:53:48 PM »

Greetings!

I've been lurking on these forums and looking at sabers for over a year off and on.  The current raffle (and a convenient tax refund) pushed me to pull the trigger and order.  I'm so thrilled I did!  Wonderful experience all around.  I tend towards balance, and wanted a good mix of silver and black.  I must say, this is a beautiful piece of art!

Order and Description:
First, I ordered all parts that were in stock.  I placed my order 3/3/2015, it shipped 3/4, and I received it 3/5!  FedEx Ground, signature required (disclaimer, I'm close to Houston, TX).  Well packaged and protected.  I ordered a Dark Apprentice LE v4 w/ Obsidian Premium 4 (I HAD to have a silent font, and LOVE being able to switch fonts without connecting the soundboard to a computer!).  Opted for standard LED Consular Green, no flash, ultraedge midgrade blade in 36", emitter windows, silver non-illuminated AV switch, and silver covertec.  I also elected a different pommel, choosing the Raven SS, for two main reasons, first I think the pommel in silver and black looks great with the rest of the saber, second that it adds length and is wider than the hilt.  A wonderful third surprise is that, with a 36" blade and the Raven SS pommel, the balance point is right at the point where the blade exits the emitter, maybe half an inch away from the hilt.

Wielding:
I'm 6'2", and my hands are fairly large.  The switch and covertec make wielding with two hands a bit cumbersome, but possible.  Single handed is great, especially with the choke point.  (I may measure out on a dowel the Dark Sentinel or Dominix to compare).  I LOVE the movement of this; choke point and balance point make swings and flourishes fast!  Grip rings are very smooth, no burrs or snags.  Really comfortable grip one-handed.

Sound:
Not having another soundboard experience to compare, I'll say the sound is quite loud, but not disturbingly so.  I really enjoy the default sound font, but plan to change the motion sensitivity to pickup more with less movement.  Oddly enough, the idle hum frightens my cats!  Sound off, we're ok; sound on, just angry growls and hisses.

Final thoughts:
After a day, I've no buyers remorse.  I'm going to look for dueling groups in my area (maybe I can connect at Comicplaooza or Space City Comic Con).  But maybe the BEST part of the experience is when my wife took the saber, powered up, smiled, swung a bit, and then asked, "When are you going to get another so that we can DUEL?!"  It's grab bag time if I don't win something from the raffle.  

Thanks Emory and all the folks at US.  I am 100% satisfied, and look forward to more!

We are just as blind in total darkness as we are in total light; it is only through a combination that we are permitted to see.

There are at least two sides to every story, and typically the truth is found somewhere in the middle.

Kraxtor
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 02:56:15 PM »

A few images...

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 03:16:06 PM by Kraxtor » Logged

We are just as blind in total darkness as we are in total light; it is only through a combination that we are permitted to see.

There are at least two sides to every story, and typically the truth is found somewhere in the middle.

JediApprenticeChris37
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 140

Light side points PLEASE and stop with dark points

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »

I like the way your Dark Apprentice LE looks

sabers I own:
Prophecy v3  <---Guardian Blue w/V4 sound
Bellicose <--- Sentinel Yellow V3 sound
Dark Menace <---Guardian Blue  V4 sound
Manticore CE <---Emerald Driver and V4 sound
Consular <--- Adegan silver with Quick disconnects
Electrum Wind <---DVA with V4 sound

wishlist: Dark Prophecy V3

Seano
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -229

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 01:25:04 PM »

That looks awesome!

I myself have gone for the Apprentice v4 in Guardian Blue with a Raven SS pommel, circle blade plug, and black covertec wheel near the pommel, so it's nice to have an idea what it will look like with those options (mine arrives tomorrow!)

I'm looking at weathering mine, so will put up pics when I'm done

Ramse Moade the Grey

Current Sabres - Graflex SE in GB & Obsidian V3, Shock in TRI BR (QD's) & Obsidian V3, Customised Dorinian with Diamond Controller, Dark Catalyst in Adegan Silver with Arctic Blue FOC and Obsidian V3 (Customisation WIP)

Kraxtor
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »

That looks awesome!

I myself have gone for the Apprentice v4 in Guardian Blue with a Raven SS pommel, circle blade plug, and black covertec wheel near the pommel, so it's nice to have an idea what it will look like with those options (mine arrives tomorrow!)

I'm looking at weathering mine, so will put up pics when I'm done

Sounds great!  I'd like to see it in blue wit the black covertec.  What button configuration did you elect, guarded, illuminated?  I look forward to your review and the pics.

Seano
Knight Templar

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 02:18:33 PM »

I just went with the black guarded switch. I'm also looking at doing some tsuka ito wrapping in black (fake) leather on the hilt, want it to look old school!

Ramse Moade the Grey

Current Sabres - Graflex SE in GB & Obsidian V3, Shock in TRI BR (QD's) & Obsidian V3, Customised Dorinian with Diamond Controller, Dark Catalyst in Adegan Silver with Arctic Blue FOC and Obsidian V3 (Customisation WIP)

DarthDradeus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -64

With a title like Darth....dark side points please

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 06:33:31 PM »

When I first read the thread heading, I was doubtful about how the Raven SS pommel would look on it. I was pleasantly surprised.....your saber looks great! That pommel with the circle plug just makes for awesome aesthetics. Nice choice on your first!

Grey Owl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 81

We don't like Star Wars, we live for Star Wars.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 06:52:05 PM »

Nice is it a comfortable choke point?

Dark sentinel LE(blazing red)

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 03:43:19 PM »

Very nice saber, especially in this blade colour!

Seano
Knight Templar

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 04:24:10 PM »

Kraxtor, here's the link to my new Apprentice v4. I also got a red thumb screw to replace the blade retention screw, will start the weathering tomorrow!

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=29440.0

Ramse Moade the Grey

alljiang
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 8

"Great warrior, hmm? Wars not make one great."

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 12:46:15 AM »

Greetings!

I've been lurking on these forums and looking at sabers for over a year off and on.  The current raffle (and a convenient tax refund) pushed me to pull the trigger and order.  I'm so thrilled I did!  Wonderful experience all around.  I tend towards balance, and wanted a good mix of silver and black.  I must say, this is a beautiful piece of art!

Order and Description:
First, I ordered all parts that were in stock.  I placed my order 3/3/2015, it shipped 3/4, and I received it 3/5!  FedEx Ground, signature required (disclaimer, I'm close to Houston, TX).  Well packaged and protected.  I ordered a Dark Apprentice LE v4 w/ Obsidian Premium 4 (I HAD to have a silent font, and LOVE being able to switch fonts without connecting the soundboard to a computer!).  Opted for standard LED Consular Green, no flash, ultraedge midgrade blade in 36", emitter windows, silver non-illuminated AV switch, and silver covertec.  I also elected a different pommel, choosing the Raven SS, for two main reasons, first I think the pommel in silver and black looks great with the rest of the saber, second that it adds length and is wider than the hilt.  A wonderful third surprise is that, with a 36" blade and the Raven SS pommel, the balance point is right at the point where the blade exits the emitter, maybe half an inch away from the hilt.

Wielding:
I'm 6'2", and my hands are fairly large.  The switch and covertec make wielding with two hands a bit cumbersome, but possible.  Single handed is great, especially with the choke point.  (I may measure out on a dowel the Dark Sentinel or Dominix to compare).  I LOVE the movement of this; choke point and balance point make swings and flourishes fast!  Grip rings are very smooth, no burrs or snags.  Really comfortable grip one-handed.

Sound:
Not having another soundboard experience to compare, I'll say the sound is quite loud, but not disturbingly so.  I really enjoy the default sound font, but plan to change the motion sensitivity to pickup more with less movement.  Oddly enough, the idle hum frightens my cats!  Sound off, we're ok; sound on, just angry growls and hisses.

Final thoughts:
After a day, I've no buyers remorse.  I'm going to look for dueling groups in my area (maybe I can connect at Comicplaooza or Space City Comic Con).  But maybe the BEST part of the experience is when my wife took the saber, powered up, smiled, swung a bit, and then asked, "When are you going to get another so that we can DUEL?!"  It's grab bag time if I don't win something from the raffle.  

Thanks Emory and all the folks at US.  I am 100% satisfied, and look forward to more!

Woah, your shipping time is really lucky! I live about 20 minutes away from Ultrasabers. They took a bit longer than a week to ship mine, and USPS really messed it up. It took 3 DAYS for USPS to ship my lightsaber to me, passing the expected time. Again I live about 20 minutes away from Ultrasabers! I'm glad you didn't have to go through the anxiousness I had to go through Smiley. Glad you like your lightsaber!

"Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."
-Master Yoda

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 03:58:25 AM »

Nice lightsaber!  The silver covertec wheel and Raven pommel look amazing on it, point!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 06:04:14 PM »

That pommel looks fantastic on that saber. Congrats on a great saber.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Kraxtor
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 05:50:43 PM »

When I first read the thread heading, I was doubtful about how the Raven SS pommel would look on it. I was pleasantly surprised.....your saber looks great! That pommel with the circle plug just makes for awesome aesthetics. Nice choice on your first!

Thanks!  I'm pleased with it.

Kraxtor
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 05:52:47 PM »

Kraxtor, here's the link to my new Apprentice v4. I also got a red thumb screw to replace the blade retention screw, will start the weathering tomorrow!

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=29440.0

The black accents look great!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: