Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: UltraFX Anakin Skywalker ROTS  (Read 6232 times)
barcelonaahl
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: September 22, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »

Does this come with the Obsidian soundboard? If not, what does it use, and how does it compare to the obsidian soundboard?

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 12:47:27 AM »

It does not come with the Obsidian soundboard, it retains the stock FX soundboard.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

barcelonaahl
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 12:48:32 AM »

Would Ultrasabers install an Obsidian Soundboard?

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 12:49:58 AM »

Yes, but you'll have to wait for the Custom Saber Operations to open.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 12:51:04 AM »

Which doesn't really stack up next to obsidian, but is still generally considered a plenty decent board. It's not the best, but it's not horrible. Many consider it to be greater than the Econo boards, though some prefer Econo instead. I've owned a couple sabers with these boards, including the Anakin. It's nice, and when you have it you'll like it, but if you've already had obsidian then going backwards will just not be the same for you.

Getting Ultra to install Obsidian in one for you would probably be possible, but you'd likely have to go through CSO when it is open. (Ultra's custom division) Watch these forums and Ultra has said he'll give us the heads up announcement when it's running. Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

barcelonaahl
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 01:13:50 AM »

Does Obsidian have a larger variety of sounds compared to the Force FX soundboard?

I know its customizable, but I'm speaking in terms of sound quality.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 01:59:59 AM »

Does Obsidian have a larger variety of sounds compared to the Force FX soundboard?

The Obsidian is, technically speaking, superior to Force FX sound.  It's louder, has more crisp sounds, and has (as you mentioned) customizable sound fonts.  It basically takes the customization feature of more expensive boards (Crystal Focus, Petit Crouton) and the affordable price range of the cheaper boards, and combines them.  For the price, you won't find anything better.

Just fyi, I totally don't get money for promoting Ultrasabers haha.  I just have experienced the Obsidian board for myself, and I can tell you firsthand that it blows the FX away Wink

Novastar
Disgraced
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 110

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »

Yah.  It's almost without question that the sound quality/sampling is far superior with boards like Obsidian and PC and CF.  Not only technically with the bit quality (16-bit vs... I think the Force FX series is 8, possibly 6 bit??), but also with the mixing.

I was able to hear some of the "newer" Force FX boards recently--the Dooku and the Ventriss.  They are... ok... the hums are very nice.  The mixing is poorly done, though, as... IDK... they messed something up, the sounds are scratchy for the mixed swings/clashes at times.  Hard to explain.

Sound mixing for sabers is... well, I've been doing it for years, and... it's not "easy" to get it right... but hard work pays off!!  Smiley

Creator of the "BALANCE OF POWER" live staged-combat shows
Licensed & experienced sabre fencing instructor
Sound font engineer for "Crystal Focus" & Obsidian
Creator of the NSCFCDs (CF Sound CDs)
Co-Founder of Golden Gate Knights (SF)
Co-Creator of NCSCS (Nova & Caine's Saber Combat System)

barcelonaahl
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 02:17:37 AM »

Well I suppose I'll just have to pay $300 for this saber + an estimated $75-100 extra for Ultra to custom install Obsidian, whenever CSO finally comes out... =/

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 03:14:44 AM »

Well I suppose I'll just have to pay $300 for this saber + an estimated $75-100 extra for Ultra to custom install Obsidian, whenever CSO finally comes out... =/

No, you could get the Anakin ROTS Force FX itself.  Then when you're ready to get it done by Ultra, you can send it into the CSO and pay whatever the conversion fee + Obsidian would be.  Just an option.

barcelonaahl
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 11:10:46 PM »

Meh, I'd rather not pay for the shipping fees twice; I live on the other side of the country. Did Ultra give an estimate as to when CSO would be open? I read his posts and the dates he gave have already passed.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 11:34:36 PM »

I'm not sure. I think he is planning on opening, taking on what he can handle, and then closing again until those orders are finished to avoid the enormous backlogs that many custom sabersmiths suffer from. It should also be noted he injured his hand recently and that has to have put him behind schedule, not to mention the guys have just been catching up with everything after Dragon Con recently as well. Keep an eye out and I'm sure it'll open up again relatively soon. Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Darth Caugnien
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -36

Tamer of the Beast!!!

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »

Just a little update, if you didn't see the new post by Ultra- the CSO will not be up and running any time in the near future. The feasibility of such an operation with one guy and his current staff would be low. He has suggested just going through with your orders now, and not waiting for the CSO to open to pull the trigger on your order. Heres the link:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=3085.0

My US sabers: RGB Bane W/Obsidian
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=2170.0

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »

Yeah he's right, I wouldn't worry about waiting on the CSO.  Ultra has so much stuff going (including cranking out new sabers like crazy lately!) that he just won't be able to start it up without some help.  I stick to my advice - grab an Anakin FX off eBay or something, and send it in for conversion (you will save a ton of money like that truthfully).  You can always get the FX board switched out for an Obsidian at a later date, when he does start doing custom work again.  If you do your research and practice enough with electronics, you could even attempt an install yourself!

I must add that I wouldn't recommend it DIY unless you're VERY familiar with this kinda stuff.  Practice with cheaper boards (like the econo board from an Obi-Wan toy) before you move up to boards like the Obsidian.  Just wanted to give you some options.

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »

One other thought:  All though a little more expensive (but not much more) is buying from US.  Less hassel of things you have to do, plus you will get reward points!!!!

Buying saber on line (lowest price I seen is around 120-130) plus shipping charges.  Shipping charges to US for conversion.  Cost of conversion and shipping back back to you.

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)
=====================================================================

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: