Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Prophecy SRD (again)  (Read 1829 times)
imperialknight23
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 154

I will remember you brothers and sisters, Always.

« on: September 22, 2011, 07:30:55 PM »

I say again because i forgot to always stay logged in and i just spent an hour writing a review and it all went poof. *Sigh*

So for your sick pleasure, here i go...... again. LOL

Behold the Prophecy in SunRider's Destiny

The Hilt

I could stare at that all day

This thing is a work of art.  You cant help at think this came right out the movie.  The hilt measures about 10" from pommel to tip of emitter.  One thing i was glad about, was it was decently weighted.  It made me feel it was real, and durable, not a toy of some sort.  The pommel is MHS compatible, it features 2 accent holes, a covertec knob, and 2 accent knobs.  I call them accent knobs because one might think they are purposefully for blade retention and no allen key required, but alas, you still need a key.  This one features 2 sizes for which a 5/64 will fit in the bigger bolt, and a 1/16 will fit in the smaller one.

About 10"

Some cons/personal taste.  When i was considering sabers, i was also considering the grip-able area.  On the prophecy it has 3 distinct portions.  For me the grip-able area was the mid section which was enough to fit one of my hands.  The bottom section though is not so bulky as to not be able to grip.  The problem i have with the bottom section is the deepness of the grooves.  They are deep enough that their edges become scratchy/sharp.  Shows some of the precision that went into these hilts.  Lastly, i've seen this said on other Prophecy reviews that the tip of the emitter is sharp, and i can vouch.  I didnt really cut myself on it, but when you run your finger over it, it just feels like a knife.

Deep Grooves

Deep Grooves part deux

One last bit.  I did notice that people say that only one of the bolts on the Prophecy is the blade holder.  I think this is due in part, that when the smaller one retains the bolt, there's barely any space left to screw on the knob.  In my experience i didnt find this an issue, unless I may be wrong in screwing both of them.

Dual Retented Blade, look hard

The Blade

Full Shot, note the length for later

I opted for a 32" Mid-grade regular blade.  Because i do not know anyone to spar with, or even people with an ultrasaber, i felt i didnt have need for a Heavy Grade.  And because i didnt want the color to slightly wash out, i didnt opt for Ultra Edge.  Some people swear by those blades, but to that i say, to each his own, and different times call for different measures.  Thats why they made the blades removable.

Some cons specific to my order.  Last night as i was snapping pics, i noticed that the blade was not actually 32".  It is actually 30.5"  I dont know how to feel about this.  I am already used to the length and weight, and 1.5" isnt really a dramatic aesthetic change.  I dont know if this is normal, or a cause for concern, but Ultra, if its no big deal to you, its no big deal to me.  Lastly there was a speck of debris between the film and tube.  No big deal because once the blade is lit and moving, its just a blurr...

About an inch and a half short of average, like me (get your minds out the gutter)

The Color

Probably the Closest to color, almost like the shot on US site

I learned that Lightsaber photography is hard.  Its is very true what they say that colors in photos are very misleading, and you can only truly appreciate the color in person.  Perhaps if i was using a real photographer's camera and employing some lighting techniques, maybe i could have caught the right color but instead i am relegated to 2MP of fun on my phone.

The SunRider Destiny color is a mix of blue and green, to create the realized color of cyan.  The problem with photographing it is in the light its somewhat blue in a photo, in the dark it becomes somewhat green.  Its hard to find that balance, and its actual color.  With fresh batteries in it, if i had to explain it, it starts almost sky blue near the emitter and as it goes up you'll see a slight tinge of green. Whent the batteries are in the middle (about an hour of use) it becomes that seafoam green people talk about, like a greener turquoise, sometimes called teal.  When the batteries run low, it becomes a dim consular green, as the blue LED fades out.  This is all using NiMH batteries.

Powered by Sanyo Eneloops NiMH

Flashlight Mode, Blue on left, Green on right

Down the Emitter, Green Speckled with Blue

In Light, almost Guardian Blue (in photos)

In Dark, almost Consular Green (in photos)

The Handling
Quick tidbits about the handling.  With the blade being 30.5", and overall 38", the balance point is right above the smaller knob.  The weight is just right for fast spinning, also due in part to the Mid-Grade blade, but prolonged use tends to leave the wrists weary.  Also i found that if i wrap my finger on the lower knob, like a trigger, i get A LOT more control. (possibly a future custom idea)

Trigger grip

Overall
9.8/10
I'm kinda tired of typing, and photobucket super lags the comp.  This saber in my honest opinion is probably the most elegant saber Ultrasabers has to offer.  Of course it doesnt have all the perks of a larger hilt with uber electronics, but it more than makes up for it in style.

My last draft was probably better. But i hope you enjoyed this review.  Up Next: Dark Initiate V2 AS and Ultrashirt!

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia
Drk Initiate V2 LE AS Redemption
Drk Initiate V3 LE GB Hope
Bellicose DVA AB  Lumineux

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 07:49:54 PM »

I love my Prophecy too!  Glad you are having fun and getting the color right on camera is very very difficult!  Sometime I use a second saber to give a contrasting color just for comparison.  Some think it helps, others done.  At any rate, good review!

Cheers.

imperialknight23
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »

That sounds like a good idea.  I got my Dark Initiate on the way and i also have some lee filters comin, then i can tweak some colors.  And now maybe i wont feel so shaky on ordering Violet Amethyst, if i can augment it with more blue or something or other.

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »

I say again because i forgot to always stay logged in and i just spent an hour writing a review and it all went poof. *Sigh*

I hate that too!  Changed from logging in from 60 min to 360 min.  After it continued to happen I decided to "always stay logged in".    The more I see SRD the more I like it.

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)
=====================================================================

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:06:54 PM »

My wife dual wields SRD, it was her first saber and she Loves it.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

kewlkev360
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 232

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:24:22 PM »

My wife dual wields SRD, it was her first saber and she Loves it.

my initiate is SRD and it really is a great color.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 12:49:25 AM »

Nice saber Impknigh! I love the Prophecy, and I love SRD. Put them together and you get AWESOME.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 11:44:20 AM »

SRD just seems like a perfect color for the Prophecy.  A very Jedi saber with a very Jedi color, it fits nicely.  Great saber!

imperialknight23
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »

Thanks for the thanks guys.

Little update though.  I think i learned my lesson in not screwing the smaller retention bolt.  This is also an update to the review.  I notice that when i'm hitting things, the vibrations though the hilt will knock things loose, like the pommel, and the 2 accent knobs.

While foolin around last night with the saber in a small duel.  I noticed when i got home the small knob is missing.  So sad.  I wonder if theres anyplace to get a replacement knob, or if Ultra has one laying around.

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: