Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Remake Shows Off First Gameplay  (Read 9402 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: March 11, 2016, 07:50:16 PM »

By Alexander Pan

Just weeks after the fan collective Apeiron announced that a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake is underway, gameplay footage of the project surfaces on YouTube.

The gaming world was sent into a state of frenzy a few months ago when rumors surfaced that a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake may be in the works. That rumor turned out to be false, but when fan effort known as Apeiron stepped forward and announced their own remake just a few weeks ago, a new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic may actually soon be a reality. And based on some in-game footage that’s recently been released, it looks like the Apeiron team are putting together something special so far.

After being given the greenlight from Apeiron, YouTuber MrMattyPlays was the first to show some gameplay footage from the Knights of the Old Republic remake, and his four minute video reveals some very interesting details about the upcoming game. It must be noted that the gameplay footage was taken from a very early pre-alpha build of the game, so it appears that it will be some time before development of the remake will be complete.

One big takeaway from the footage is that it is in first-person rather than the third-person perspective from the original Knights of the Old Republic. Granted that this won’t be the first instance of a Star Wars FPS game, but it is an interesting development direction that Apeiron is going in. The video then shows off some very impressive reinterpretations of four Knights of the Old Republic levels: Lower City Taris, Upper City Taris, Endar Spire, and Anchorhead on Tattooine.

The footage doesn’t have much in the way of combat or gameplay, and is more of a tech demo for what the final game may look like, but the work Apeiron has done so far is incredibly impressive. For those wanting to see the Knights of the Old Republic remake gameplay footage themselves, check it out here.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s58TvG8V-0k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s58TvG8V-0k</a>

While this is all impressive work from the Apeiron team, the biggest issue that may cripple the project is Disney. Regardless of where fan allegiances may lie, Star Wars is still the intellectual property of Disney, and the multimedia giant may not be too keen on seeing a high-quality project like this competing with some of their own games –  just ask the creators behind the recently-canceled Metal Gear Solid remake.

Remaking one of the best Star Wars games ever is a tall task, but based on what’s been revealed, it looks like Apeiron is doing an admirable job so far. Let’s just hope that the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake may actually see the light of day rather than being shuffled off to the cancelled video game graveyard.

Sauce: http://gamerant.com/star-wars-knights-old-republic-remake-gameplay/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 03:33:00 AM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Renaissance1459
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -24

"If you only knew the POWER of the DARK SIDE!"

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 03:28:58 AM »

As someone who is currently doing a playthrough of SW: KOTOR II, this video makes my heart pumping! Let's hope this project (fan-made or otherwise) will be a reality in the near future...

Thanks for sharing the video! A point for you, Sir...

"I feel no longing. I feel no regret. My memories feed my anger, and my anger feeds my strength!"
- Darth Vader, Star Wars: Lords of the Sith -

Inside the armory so far:
1. UltraSabers Chosen One CE in BR
2. UltraSabers The Graflex SE in AB
3. SaberForge Prodigal Son (CT) in Green
4. SaberForge Crystal Reveal Prodigal Son (CT) in Green
5. Vader's Vault Hero in Plecter Pixel

Wishlist:
1. Vader's Vault Flex 2.0 (ANH)
2. Vader's Vault VDR (ANH)

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 03:55:07 AM »

Hopefully the PC version isn't as glitchy as the original...

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Baymillz
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

Light side points

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:03:55 PM »

I hope this ends up happening, I've been dreaming of a remake for so long.  Shocked

There has been an awakening... Have you felt it?

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:40:34 AM »

AAAAAAAAAHHHHH I'm so excited! I wonder if they'll release this in VR. I'm so ready if they do. I will endure all of the motion sickness XD

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 07:38:30 PM »

This looks AWESOME!! and I'm with LR, a VR version of this would be amazing.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »

This looks AWESOME!! and I'm with LR, a VR version of this would be amazing.

Hi All,

Have you checked out the videos on YouTube showing the work ILMxLabs have done with VR tech? They built a recreation of Tattoine and had Artoo and Threepio "walk" you through the environment. There was all the buildings, a Millennium Falcon, Tie Fighters and Stormtroopers. Though it didn't make it into a game some of the animation and modelling was in The Force Awakens. I got to chat with a guy on another forum that works for an animation studio that supplied ILM with the 3Dmodel and mo-cap footage of Threepio and his Threepio model was used in a short scene.

ILMxLabs are working on an Occulus Rift project titled "Immortal Vader" due for release in 2019 and it looks impressive....most impressive!

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »

Ummm wait I thought I read recently that Apeiron got a cease and desist order from Lucasfilm, yep sure did here it is:

https://kotaku.com/star-wars-kotor-fan-remake-shutting-down-after-cease-a-1829720602

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 08:45:31 PM »

I saw Sad sad times

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 09:45:13 PM »

That's what happens when you try to make and release unlicensed stuff that blatantly violates copyrights. Yes, I know it was a mod that requires the original game to run, but that still doesn't make it legal. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know how legal or illegal it is, but Lucasfilm obviously thinks it's violating copyrights.

Xamon
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 01:08:10 PM »

That is too bad, I was hoping they would actually finish the racing bit where you could get/craft parts for the speeder. Things like this you need to keep quiet until it is done and then just put it out there as a done deal.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 01:19:02 PM »

If they'd kept it quiet and released it as a mod on Steam, Lucasfilm probably still would have had it pulled. All they had to do was file a copyright complaint with Valve.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2784

Grey Assassin

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 01:24:22 PM »

It's a shame but stealing copyrights and not finding legal ways to work with something that isn't yours is a quick way to receive a cease and desist order.  It looked good though

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 01:29:20 PM »

Yeah, people feel bad for the fans who try this sort of thing and get shut down, but they never feel bad for the owners of the legally registered copyrights. Now, say you copyrighted something. You created something unique, copyrighted it and then someone else decided to copy it. You'd feel unhappy about that, possibly even pursue legal action. Yes, it would have been cool. But, there are limits to what you can do even with free stuff and game mods.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2784

Grey Assassin

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »

Exactly, just because you can doesn't mean that you should.  You can make a mod to an existing to look more realistic or have better graphics, but you probably shouldn't for legal reasons...

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: