Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Remake Shows Off First Gameplay  (Read 9457 times)
Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 05:31:34 PM »

That’s a sort of double edged sword though (double-bladed saber?),because mods to change or improve graphics do exist, and do in public, and the second game has a very public “restoration mod” adding back in parts of the game that were cut entirely. There’s also a few restoration mods for the first, but they’re far smaller. I think there must have been something additional with Apeiron specifically that caused the issue for a cease and desist.

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 05:57:51 PM »

Is the second game's restoration mod only available on PC?  My understanding is that it has a whole droid planet centered around HK's storyline.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 09:21:34 PM »

I play on PC so that’s the only one I know of. Yes, it is on PC. There’s a lot more than just the droid planet (and it’s still in development, but not as rapid at the moment).

I’ve not used the restored content mods for the first game yet, but I’ve seenvideos of it. There’s a whole alternative ending for Darkside female that was cut from the final release. There’s other stuff too, but that was one of the biggest differences .

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 09:44:17 PM »

The restored content mod just activates stuff that was included on the CD, but it doesn't add anything that wasn't already on the disc for the game. Basically, in a rush to get out a sequel, Obsidian didn't add everything they should have to the game, but they put the stuff on the CD as inactive modules. Who knows, maybe they planned to release updates that reactivated it, but they never did. So, others have reactivated it. But, as I said, they aren't creating content, just restoring content. They didn't completely recreate the visuals. And, yes, that mod is available for the computer version, it's really easy to add to the game on Steam. And, I highly recommend it.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 09:55:28 PM »

For those of you who have played both SWTOR and KOTOR, which is better? KOTOR is 10$ on steam, and SWOTOR is free on Origin, and I'm trying to decide if it is even worth the time or money to get either.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 10:11:56 PM »

SWTOR is free, so why not try it? I mean, all it takes is time to download, install and play. It's a really good game and, if you want to, you can even interact with and play with other players.

If you have an Android tablet (or Kindle) you can install the Amazon Underground app and play the original Knights of the Old Republic for free. I have the paid version on my Kindle, but there's an actually free version.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 10:26:23 PM »

SWTOR is free, so why not try it? I mean, all it takes is time to download, install and play. It's a really good game and, if you want to, you can even interact with and play with other players.

If you have an Android tablet (or Kindle) you can install the Amazon Underground app and play the original Knights of the Old Republic for free. I have the paid version on my Kindle, but there's an actually free version.

I will probably try SWTOR since you say it's fun. I really want to play the Knights of the Eternal Throne expansion pack though, that just looks amazing.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 10:43:54 PM »

Just keep in mind that they’re different games. SWtOR is not KotOR III. I think it’s more enjoyable if you accept it as it’s own thing rather than compare the two. IMO, KOTOR > SWTOR. I think my biggest problem with SWTOR was that I started it expecting KOTOR III and was severely disappointed.

There are visual modifications too that are available on Steam (not restored content) which is what leads me to believe that there was more going on with Aeperion than just upgraded visuals.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 12:08:33 AM »

Yeah, we don't have the whole story on what was going on with them.

Lady Revan is right, definitely view SWTOR as something totally different than KOTOR. While technically the third game in the series, it doesn't really connect much to the others and it plays completely different. I definitely recommend it, especially if you iust play the story and enjoy it for what it is. While technically free, I'd recommend making at least a $5 purchase to get preferred status. This opens up more character slots and allows stuff like sprinting at level one. Without that, you can't sprint until level ten and movement between areas is incredibly slow. Back when I first started playing, there wasn't sprinting until level fourteen. It was torture.

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2018, 12:59:12 AM »

Yeah, we don't have the whole story on what was going on with them.

Lady Revan is right, definitely view SWTOR as something totally different than KOTOR. While technically the third game in the series, it doesn't really connect much to the others and it plays completely different. I definitely recommend it, especially if you iust play the story and enjoy it for what it is. While technically free, I'd recommend making at least a $5 purchase to get preferred status. This opens up more character slots and allows stuff like sprinting at level one. Without that, you can't sprint until level ten and movement between areas is incredibly slow. Back when I first started playing, there wasn't sprinting until level fourteen. It was torture.

ooh, no sprinting? that does sound bad. there are a few levels like that in the BF II campaign that you cannot sprint and those are pure torture.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »

I will probably try SWTOR since you say it's fun. I really want to play the Knights of the Eternal Throne expansion pack though, that just looks amazing.

If you do so before Nov 2nd:
According to the (German) magazine GameStar you currently can get the first two expansions for free:
https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/star-wars-the-old-republic-bioware-verschenkt-die-ersten-beiden-erweiterungen,3336125.html
-> Just create an account, go to 'Code Redemption' and enter the code 'Revansfate'

Otherwise I can second scifidude79:
I got a few 'cartel coins' from a reseller just to receive that preferred status and I'd say the 'comfort gain' was worth it.
Only 'downside' is that some of those purchaseable 'legacy unlocks' require a char to be at least level 10 to be used; after the 'unlock' all of your chars gain those legacy feats/skills/items, though.

Here's a good guide about what to get from those cartel coins:
https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/cartelmarket#wiki_i_have_cartel_coins_.28cc.29.2C_what_should_i_spend_them_on.3F
(I think 'Rocket Boost (Level 1)' is part of the 'Going Places' bundle which is a wee bit cheaper than buying it on its own.)

Some other (perhaps) useful SWTOR links:
https://vulkk.com/2017/06/29/swtor-beginners-guide-to-all-classes-and-disciplines/
http://dulfy.net/category/swtor/weekly-cm-sales/

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2018, 06:39:52 PM »

If you do so before Nov 2nd:
According to the (German) magazine GameStar you currently can get the first two expansions for free:
https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/star-wars-the-old-republic-bioware-verschenkt-die-ersten-beiden-erweiterungen,3336125.html
-> Just create an account, go to 'Code Redemption' and enter the code 'Revansfate'

Otherwise I can second scifidude79:
I got a few 'cartel coins' from a reseller just to receive that preferred status and I'd say the 'comfort gain' was worth it.
Only 'downside' is that some of those purchaseable 'legacy unlocks' require a char to be at least level 10 to be used; after the 'unlock' all of your chars gain those legacy feats/skills/items, though.

Here's a good guide about what to get from those cartel coins:
https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/cartelmarket#wiki_i_have_cartel_coins_.28cc.29.2C_what_should_i_spend_them_on.3F
(I think 'Rocket Boost (Level 1)' is part of the 'Going Places' bundle which is a wee bit cheaper than buying it on its own.)

Some other (perhaps) useful SWTOR links:
https://vulkk.com/2017/06/29/swtor-beginners-guide-to-all-classes-and-disciplines/
http://dulfy.net/category/swtor/weekly-cm-sales/

Hmm, I may have to create an account before Nov. 2nd then. Thanks a lot guys, points to you all.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2018, 12:26:35 AM »

With all this talk about it and my recent Savior acquisition, I think I need to pop KOTOR into my XBOX One tonight. Smiley

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2018, 01:30:59 AM »

With all this talk about it and my recent Savior acquisition, I think I need to pop KOTOR into my XBOX One tonight. Smiley

That's a good idea SFD

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2018, 07:17:52 AM »

Do it! You won’t regret it. Also, it will make you appreciate some of the game subtleties that went into your saber (check out the outside of the military base on Taris and you’ll see what I mean).

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: