Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Usefulness over aesthetics, blade types  (Read 1430 times)
KenshinTrigger
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 3

Good... Bad.... I'm the guy with the saber.

« on: September 23, 2011, 05:41:27 PM »

Second question I've ever posted but actually this results from a friend of mine that asked me about this the other night. He's seen my sabers, rightfully thinks that their freakin awesome, and now wants one, but he is curious as to the different types of blades, to which I couldn't honestly reply to him. I've looked over the forum to see more people's opinions of blade types, but far more of the comparisons are between asthetics and only vague references to durability.

it goes without saying that the heavy grades are better for dueling. this part is kinda a lock since both my buddy and I agree we're more than willing to shell out extra bucks to get something with a better degree of functionality. I've seen tons of comparisons about how the regular heavy grade ends up being better photographed while the ultra edge heavy grade is better in person, but I've never seen anyone directly mention whether or not there is any significant difference in durability.

So would the ultraedge heavy grade be just as good for heavy dueling as a regular heavy grade? I've become just as curious to this as my friend is now, since I've got only regular heavy grade blades and am now wondering if there's some aesthetic factor I can add in to an already very functional saber blade.

- knight apprentice Kenshin Trigger

Initiate - guardian blue
Initiate LE - Consular Green
Dark Initiate LE - Blazing Red
Liberator - Arctic Blue
Consular - consular green

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »

Ok you were right when you separated aesthetics and functionality - those are the two classifications for these blades.  For aesthetics, you have regular vs ultraedge style blades.  This separates the regular midgrade and heavy grade from the ultraedge midgrade and heavy grade.  The regular is sort of clearish, while the Ultraedges are white when the saber is off.  The difference is, regular has a sort of core of solid color, whereas the Ultraedge distributes it all the way to the edge of the blade.  It's much harder to tell the difference in person, but honestly they're both great.

Now functionality:  Let me start by saying that the midgrade and Ultraedge blade have the same durability, the same applies to the heavy grade and ultraedge heavy grade.  There are two levels of durability, heavy and mid.  Mid is a little flexible and has a thinner walled blade - do not confuse this for weakness though, as I have quite a few midgrade blades that have held up to a TON of sparring, even at medium to heavy attacks.  The heavy grade has a slightly thicker wall, making the blade overall more rigid and more durable.  They are heavier though, which is something else you have to consider.

Sorry to throw all this at you, it's just I wanted to explain fully the types of blades and how they differ.  For functionality, I would say unless you're going at full power during sparring (which I would NOT recommend without protective equipment) you can go with the midgrade blades (regular or Ultraedge, doesn't matter).  They're lighter and let out a little more light, giving you a brighter blade (the thick walls of the heavy grade blades kinda block some of the brightness).

Hope this helped.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:06:06 PM »

Good post Master Nero.

My wife found it very useful in deciding what kind of blade she likes.

Points all around. Grin

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

imperialknight23
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 154

I will remember you brothers and sisters, Always.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:18:31 PM »

i can attest to some of the midgrade durability.   Since getting my second midgrade blade it has held up some punishment.  i was afraid at first to start hitting at first, then i let a friend hold the other saber and went at it.  it was surprisingly durable.  still have yet to keep going at it.

As Master attoru stated the mid-grades can stand up to some very heavy dueling.  Heavy-grades are an option for when you will only be doing heavy sparring.  I still feel a slight fear with my midgrades, but if i had some heavygrades i'd take on all challenges.

Aesthetically though, its all a matter of preference.  Ultra-edges seem much brighter because the color comes all the way to the edge.  The white blade though will lighten up whatever color is going through it.  I use regular grades personally.  Some people say the regular versions look more like a lightsaber, because of that core look and because the blade appears thinner, it looks like its really coming out of the emitter.  just some thoughts.

All in all aesthetics depends on your purpose for the sabers.  It kinda gets thrown by the wayside once you are in a flurry of sparring.  I dont think anyone will care how good it looks, as long as it doesnt break. 

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia
Drk Initiate V2 LE AS Redemption
Drk Initiate V3 LE GB Hope
Bellicose DVA AB  Lumineux

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:23:37 PM »

@Kham:  Thanks!  Glad I helped somebody Smiley

My personal preference is for the mid grades, for a few reasons.  First, they have a little better balance.  Second, like I said they have more than enough durability for most sparring.  Third, I consider them quite a bit safer than the heavy grade.  They have less weight and more flexibility, meaning blows dealt will not be as damaging - personally I'm not trying to KILL my friends (well, usually) so I like this feature.

That is my personal view, anyway.

KenshinTrigger
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 3

Good... Bad.... I'm the guy with the saber.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:27:05 PM »

So basically the ultraedge heavy grade is like the standard heavy grade but opaque instead of clear? that does actually give me a much better idea of it, since I only know the nature of the mid and heavy grades, not the ultra edge.

Thanks so much, this really helps me and my friend out alot. And yes, we plan more on heavy contact sparring, since that sometimes is just more fun, if you have the correct padding.

By the way, a little tip for anyone reading this, if you do happen to do heavy contact sparring, try getting a kendo helmet. They can be expensive but they're kinda made for this stuff, since a heavy shinnai can sometimes be the same sort of impact as one of these blades. I'd try to avoid using my regular fencing helmet, cause unless its meant for saber matches, they usually don't have significant armor on the top of your head beyond where the face mask ends. oh and martial arts headgear might be avoided unless it has a face mask, cause usually those were meant to dull the impact of body parts, not hard weapons. Atleast with the kendo kabuto (helmet) you get the top of head and face coverage, as well as some shoulder and collarbone coverage as well.

Initiate - guardian blue
Initiate LE - Consular Green
Dark Initiate LE - Blazing Red
Liberator - Arctic Blue
Consular - consular green

imperialknight23
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 154

I will remember you brothers and sisters, Always.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 06:35:40 PM »

The mid-grades carry a flexibility to it like a shinnai.  The heavy grades are akin and can stand up to bokken.  i think thats a good way to look at it in kendo terms.

Prophecy SRD  Lucrecia
Drk Initiate V2 LE AS Redemption
Drk Initiate V3 LE GB Hope
Bellicose DVA AB  Lumineux

grave13
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -17

darkside points valued

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 04:49:26 AM »

Very good post guys. Thanks. This helped me a great deal

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 04:55:34 AM »

The mid-grades carry a flexibility to it like a shinnai.  The heavy grades are akin and can stand up to bokken.  i think thats a good way to look at it in kendo terms.

I agree Like Everyone is stating the HG blades are much more rigid and hurt a little more a really hard swing could break a bone.

The MG blades have more give and only sting for a little bit, just like the bamboo stalks of a Shinnai.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:43:29 PM by Nero Attoru » Logged

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: