Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Installing Covertec  (Read 5292 times)
Stockton
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 67

Leave Your Legacy - Light side point please!

« on: January 14, 2011, 02:07:57 AM »

I am getting a Standard Issue saber and i am wanting to install a covertec knob. How do i go about doing this?

Wolfen
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:14:01 AM »

Remove the pommel and pull the battery pack out.  With a sharpie, put a dot on the saber where you want the wheel to be, but it must be at least 1.25 inches up from the bottom of the hilt so it doesn't interfere with the threads.  With a 1/8" drill bit, carefully drill a hole where you made the mark.  Now with an 8-32 tap, thread the hole.  Then attach a TCSS covertech wheel using an 8-32 x 5/16" socket head cap screw. I just used a regular old hand held power drill to make the hole. I dont have any mad skillz or fancy tools. You need to make some kind of indent into the hilt to stop the drill from slipping and scratching the heck out of your hilt. I used an old pointy screw and a hammer to do this. Not very subtle but it works.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"-Ben Franklin

Kaiser Xander
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 02:53:08 AM »

Remove the pommel and pull the battery pack out.  With a sharpie, put a dot on the saber where you want the wheel to be, but it must be at least 1.25 inches up from the bottom of the hilt so it doesn't interfere with the threads.  With a 1/8" drill bit, carefully drill a hole where you made the mark.  Now with an 8-32 tap, thread the hole.  Then attach a TCSS covertech wheel using an 8-32 x 5/16" socket head cap screw. I just used a regular old hand held power drill to make the hole. I dont have any mad skillz or fancy tools. You need to make some kind of indent into the hilt to stop the drill from slipping and scratching the heck out of your hilt. I used an old pointy screw and a hammer to do this. Not very subtle but it works.

Good description!

Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegannt weapon, for a more...civilized age.

Stockton
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 67

Leave Your Legacy - Light side point please!

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 10:07:36 PM »

Thanks for the description Wolfen! Now i got a dumb question, i am no handy man. How do you thread a hole? lol

Wolfen
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »

You need to buy a tap like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Du-Bro-363-8-32-Tap-Drill/dp/B0006O4GZA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295046601&sr=8-2
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:10:33 PM by Ultra » Logged

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"-Ben Franklin

wasd999
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 7

PJDC

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:58:12 AM »

I already bought my second saber after receiving the Aeon,
it was beautiful!

And now planning to buy my last piece, can I
request the Ultra Saber shop to do the drilling
for the covertec clip before delivery?

Rather than risk ruining a good saber.  Undecided

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:06:53 AM »

They charge extra for it but yes you can. I had them do it to my Aeon. They charge a little extra, $10 I think, but I'd rather pay that than have to buy a new saber.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: