Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
Author Topic: Why do you like Star Wars so much?  (Read 48139 times)
Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2019, 11:17:47 PM »

Which saber did you opt for BionicDance?

Thanks for all of the great stories BTW everyone.  Very cool. Smiley

I'm a huge TNG nerd myself.  Watched religiously. Wink  "There are FOUR LIGHTS!"  Roll Eyes

Points for all.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2019, 11:40:48 PM »

"There are FOUR LIGHTS!"  Roll Eyes

I have that shirt!

I also have a Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra '91 concert shirt

As I said before, we're a Star Trek family.... Smiley

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2019, 11:51:49 PM »

Excellent!  Tanagra!  That'd be an awesome shirt. Cheesy

I gave you a DS point before, Janx.  I'll throw you another, but perhaps you'd prefer LS ones. 

Let me know. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 180

« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2019, 12:33:29 AM »

I've seen every episode of TNG so many times I can give you the name of the episode, the season, and the episode number in the season within five seconds of dialog or a non-silent space scene opening shot.  A lot of times I can do it by just seeing the opening shot.  My wife hates it when I do that.  If it is already on and I walk by the screen, I can do the same even quicker than that.  She REALLY hates it when I do that.  To be fair, she can do the same thing with Clone Wars, Rebels, and Friends.

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

BionicDance
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2019, 12:46:53 AM »

Which saber did you opt for BionicDance?

Graflex SE with a Diamond board.

That I would be getting a Graflex was never in doubt; it's Luke's saber from ANH and ESB, and so that was just a given.
But if I get a second saber, I'm looking at the Electrum Wind, maybe; that one looks really cool.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2019, 01:04:45 AM »

Excellent!  Tanagra!  That'd be an awesome shirt. Cheesy

I gave you a DS point before, Janx.  I'll throw you another, but perhaps you'd prefer LS ones. 

Let me know. Smiley

I feel my grasp on neutrality slipping, noooooooooo......

Maybe I'll say something funny later and somebody will help bring balance to the force Smiley

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2019, 01:16:31 AM »

I've seen every episode of TNG so many times I can give you the name of the episode, the season, and the episode number in the season within five seconds of dialog or a non-silent space scene opening shot.  A lot of times I can do it by just seeing the opening shot.  My wife hates it when I do that.  If it is already on and I walk by the screen, I can do the same even quicker than that.  She REALLY hates it when I do that.  To be fair, she can do the same thing with Clone Wars, Rebels, and Friends.

"Oh yeah, that one."

Yup, done that many times. Smiley  Probably one of the few shows I could do that with nowadays.

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 180

« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2019, 01:16:51 AM »

I feel my grasp on neutrality slipping, noooooooooo......

Maybe I'll say something funny later and somebody will help bring balance to the force Smiley
From one Texan to another, I'll give you +1.

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

lowlead
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -38

« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2019, 03:23:04 AM »

Holy guacamole where do I begin??  Birth I guess? Cheesy

I am of the age where I saw ANH in theatres, but too young to have cohesive memory of the whole experience.  Two moments in particular stand out: 1) When the SW logo burst onto the screen, the volume in the cinema was so loud that all the dads stood up and yelled at the projection booth "TURN IT DOWN!!!"  It was like this simultaneous protest of dads in a massive "GET OFF MY LAWN" moment Cheesy Cheesy

And 2) My sister got sick and we had to leave half way through Sad Angry Cheesy  BLAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Fast forward to ESB & ROTJ and I hit my stride as a rabid fan...with best friends who were rabid fans!  It was Star Wars 24-7.  Thinking about why I love the SW universe so much, I would have to say first and foremost that it's a combination of all the MIND BLOWING vehicles and the look and feel of the world itself - all thanks to Ralph McQuarrie and the entire ILM team.  Granted, I was drawn to the amazing characters - we were all Luke Skywalker but wanted to BE Han Solo, but it was the grimy, worn out, used look of the Rebellion in stark contrast to the sleek, shiny, alluring aesthetic of the Empire that mesmerized me!  And I always wanted to play the bad guys! Cheesy

Today I ride motorcyles CUZ SPEEDERBIKES!!  Fly airplanes CUZ LAMBDA SHUTTLES AND X-WINGS!!!  I still can't get enough, and I've spent my whole life weaving Star Wars into daily life - in one way or another.  Of course there were ebbs and flows as I grew up, but SW was ever present nonetheless!  And it clearly shows no signs of stopping!!  I have all kinds of thoughts and opinions on the canon films, but that's for another discussion.  What I can say with confidence is that I fill in the occasional disappointing elements of the overall story with the aspects that I enjoy the most - as though it was a real place that I once visited, and kept fresh in my mind the BEST parts of the trip. 

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2019, 06:59:56 PM »

I never had the opportunity to see the originals in the theatre, I was in and out of hospitals alot and there was no money for anything other than essentials. I was able to see the re-releases before TPM came out and was hooked. I also played all of the PC games LucasArts released, from X-Wing all the way thru to SWTOR and BFII, with EA's next game on pre-order, Jedi: Fallen Order. SWTOR really got me into lightsabers, but since it came into my life late, I guess i'm over-compensating by buying them now. I've also read just about everything I could get my hands on concerning Star Wars, from Kevin J. Anderson thru to Timothy Zahn.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2019, 12:05:07 AM »

Okay showing my age here but Star Wars (aka A New Hope) was one of the first movies I have memories of seeing in theaters.  That and Superman the following year. That era was actually a pretty neat time to be a kid and growing up on comicbooks, cartoons and movies like Star Wars just instilled in me an appreciation for heroes and fantasy.  Characters with fantastic abilities or in fantastic realms who thought beyond themselves even when it made their own lives more difficult. Star Wars was an interesting mix that could be funny one moment, spiritual the next, then dramatic, then action packed, sci-fi yet also fantasy yet also comicbook.

For me the original trilogy is what I think of as THE Star Wars. Everything else is kind of like, expensive fan-fiction? ..and I don't mean that to be insulting so much as it's just a way of expressing that my feelings about Star Wars media outside the original trilogy is much more mixed. Neither all good nor all bad.

There's stuff I like in the prequels, sequels, Legends, etc. but it just doesn't quite all come together for me the way those original movies did. Some of that may be nostalgia but I think that's only one component of it. Also those are just the characters I enjoy following the most. Luke, Han, Leia, Obi-Wan, Chewy, Threepio, R2, Lando, Vader, etc. Also those movies were just fun and not in a dumbed down "popcorn movie" way but in a way where if you're 8 years old or 80 there's something there to enjoy, you know? It was for everybody.

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2019, 11:37:13 AM »

Hey thanks for sharing everyone. Smiley

Yeah - the OT had me, and everything else almost feels like a step down - exactly like "expensive fan-fics".  Good one.

Also, SW used to be kind of cliquey thing.  Now it's just enormous - EVERYONE'S a fan.  Diluted, main-stream stuff, and Disneyfied.

I digress though...

Points. Smiley

MrMojoRisin72
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 27

Sig & Avatar made by For Tyeth

« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2019, 11:58:28 AM »

For me Star Wars will be forever loved. Started for me by seeing the originals IV, V & VI with my parents at the drive in theater, sitting in my dads 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner at the time of Episode IV A New Hope the car was 8 years old but still bad ass lol

oh memories  Grin

My sabers: Dominix LE V5 - Blue Violet Amethyst, Silver FOC, Obsidian USB V4
                  Prophecy v3 -   Guardian Blue - Summer Raffle 2019 4th Prize
                  Apprentice LE v4 - Sun Rider's Destiny - Grab Bag
                  Aeon v2 - Consular Green - Mystery Box
                  Aeon v3 - Blazing Red - Grab Bag
                  Aeon v3 - Violet Amethyst - Grab Bag

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »

Sweet. Smiley

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2019, 12:06:44 PM »

Hey Rapine, thanks for the points. Yeah, I see where you're coming from with that but then again it's been main stream since the day the first movie premiered in '77.  Though I guess it was a bit of a niche thing during the period between ROTJ and Phantom Menace. I think the OT hit a really good equilibrium where everyone was invited to the party yet it was still something special.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: