Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 592   Go Down
Author Topic: MEME anyone?  (Read 1177301 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8295 on: September 03, 2019, 06:06:18 PM »

Okay. Serious question for the group. Is this meme:

1) Funny
2) Offensive to millennials
3) Offensive to people with red hair
4) All of the above
5) None of the above

Yes

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Bob Loblaw
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #8296 on: September 03, 2019, 11:00:32 PM »

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #8297 on: September 04, 2019, 09:14:26 AM »

See, the way I saw it, it was making fun of the whole millennial concept, as well as portraying a redhead in a positive light. However, when I posted it to a geek/cosplay group on facebook I had loads of people complain that it was offensive to millenials (someone even posted a link to an article about the bullying of millenials in the media), and one guy with red hair equated the term "ginger" with racism. I was amazed at how something clearly meant as a  joke could illicit so much "controversy".

I think that unfortunately those who feel (or want to feel) persecuted will always find a way to find something offensive even when it clearly wasn't meant to be. I suppose some people have used the term "ginger" too often in an offensive way and therefore the word has become offensive to those who suffered from such comments. I personally tend to look at what intention I feel coming from the comment rather than the exact words used. Correcting the word to let people know it's not understood in a positive way can be a constructive comment but it's probably better not to snap at someone who obviously meant no harm. Being a straight white european man with brown hair and brown eyes, almost underweight, of average height and raised as a Christian in a western country while not being very religious myself I'm not always able to pick the right words because I don't know how it will be understood by everyone else. While I've suffered from some mean comments in my life they were never really aimed at my race, nationality, hair color, sexual orientation, religion or anything like that.

If I said something like "I know a ginger. He's an awesome guy!", I would understand if someone pointed out they'd rather not be called "ginger" but I would be surprised if they snapped at me for being racist against people with red hair as the sentence clearly isn't meant to be degrading for these people. I would rather that person told me "It's great that you want to share that you appreciate a guy with red hair but you probably should say 'a guy with red hair' because 'ginger' is sometimes considered offensive". That way I would learn how to refer to red hair without being offensive while not feeling like I've been branded as racist just for using a word I didn't know was not okay.

I agree that it seems like these days it's hard to make a joke without raising controversy. I also understood this text as a joke showing a person with red hair in a positive light while making fun of how important the fancy coffee drinks have become to some people (I may love my Caramel Macchiato with Cinnamon but I can live without it  Grin )

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #8298 on: September 04, 2019, 09:23:00 PM »

I think that unfortunately those who feel (or want to feel) persecuted will always find a way to find something offensive even when it clearly wasn't meant to be. I suppose some people have used the term "ginger" too often in an offensive way and therefore the word has become offensive to those who suffered from such comments. I personally tend to look at what intention I feel coming from the comment rather than the exact words used. Correcting the word to let people know it's not understood in a positive way can be a constructive comment but it's probably better not to snap at someone who obviously meant no harm. Being a straight white european man with brown hair and brown eyes, almost underweight, of average height and raised as a Christian in a western country while not being very religious myself I'm not always able to pick the right words because I don't know how it will be understood by everyone else. While I've suffered from some mean comments in my life they were never really aimed at my race, nationality, hair color, sexual orientation, religion or anything like that.

If I said something like "I know a ginger. He's an awesome guy!", I would understand if someone pointed out they'd rather not be called "ginger" but I would be surprised if they snapped at me for being racist against people with red hair as the sentence clearly isn't meant to be degrading for these people. I would rather that person told me "It's great that you want to share that you appreciate a guy with red hair but you probably should say 'a guy with red hair' because 'ginger' is sometimes considered offensive". That way I would learn how to refer to red hair without being offensive while not feeling like I've been branded as racist just for using a word I didn't know was not okay.

I agree that it seems like these days it's hard to make a joke without raising controversy. I also understood this text as a joke showing a person with red hair in a positive light while making fun of how important the fancy coffee drinks have become to some people (I may love my Caramel Macchiato with Cinnamon but I can live without it  Grin )
As a black guy born and raised in the UK to parents who are from the West Indies, I think I know a little bit about racism (unfortunately). Racism is different from "gingerism". Redheads have not suffered centuries of systematic abuse ranging from slavery to institutional racism. Abuse of redheads is usually personal and does not, for example, affect their life or job prospects (beyond reminding them of emotional teasing received as a child). It does appear that the teasing of redheads past childhood and into adulthood is a uniquely UK thing. But, I would say a person who is a redhead can't freak out anytime the word "ginger" is brought up or mentioned anywhere, especially as it's not even directed at them personally.

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #8299 on: September 04, 2019, 09:40:56 PM »

This is offensive... to people with a name starting with a "W".
Hee-Hee!

Hopefully very soon, outrage culture will join mullets on the junk pile of history.  Laughter is what we all have in common.  Whatever makes you laugh is important.  Whatever offends you is your problem! Look for the good not the bad. Seems pretty simple to me.

Using x instead of w, I'm a "drunk squealing cowboy". This chart is black magic! How could it know? I've been using method acting for weeks now to prepare!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8300 on: September 04, 2019, 10:31:31 PM »

Hee-Hee!

Hopefully very soon, outrage culture will join mullets on the junk pile of history.  Laughter is what we all have in common.  Whatever makes you laugh is important.  Whatever offends you is your problem! Look for the good not the bad. Seems pretty simple to me.
I agree with all of this. Have a point.

Using x instead of w, I'm a "drunk squealing cowboy". This chart is black magic! How could it know? I've been using method acting for weeks now to prepare!
Apparently, I have to be a Flirty Farting Pumpkin. But, that's so 2012!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #8301 on: September 05, 2019, 12:37:29 AM »

This is exactly what I was thinking. As it stands I would be a Clammy Horse.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #8302 on: September 05, 2019, 05:08:04 AM »

As a black guy born and raised in the UK to parents who are from the West Indies, I think I know a little bit about racism (unfortunately). Racism is different from "gingerism". Redheads have not suffered centuries of systematic abuse ranging from slavery to institutional racism. Abuse of redheads is usually personal and does not, for example, affect their life or job prospects (beyond reminding them of emotional teasing received as a child). It does appear that the teasing of redheads past childhood and into adulthood is a uniquely UK thing. But, I would say a person who is a redhead can't freak out anytime the word "ginger" is brought up or mentioned anywhere, especially as it's not even directed at them personally.

I think the Shy Squealing Nurse would be a bit too out of character for me  Grin I usually go for something a little darker.

I'm sorry about your experience with racism.
I understand your point about racism and "gingerism". I believe there was systematic abuse in Europe towards redheads at some point in history. Growing up in Switzerland I can remember some redheads being teased and occasionally really insulted as a child but in my adult life (I'm 31) I can only think of one instance of hearing someone being obviously biased against redheads. I can't really relate to their suffering because I only have red hair mixed in with my usual brown in my beard. As this isn't obvious to someone looking at me from a distance or not paying a lot of attention (plus the fact that this only became visible in my late teenage years) I've never had any offensive comments made about it. Not that I would care these days. As an adult having never being systematically targeted about it I'm not even a little touchy on this subject.

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8303 on: September 05, 2019, 02:04:39 PM »

Apparently, I have to be a Flirty Farting Pumpkin. But, that's so 2012!
You're Farting too? Must've been the bean burritos.

Inappropriate Farting White Walker

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8304 on: September 05, 2019, 05:06:18 PM »

You're Farting too? Must've been the bean burritos.
You mean baked beans (we don't have burritos over here really).

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8305 on: September 05, 2019, 07:33:55 PM »

Meh. Beans is beans. Grin

Sig by For Tyeth

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #8306 on: September 05, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »

That's sad... a burrito is a good sandwich for eating in the car (or on public transit, I suppose), because it's less likely to explode in a crumbling mess.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8307 on: September 06, 2019, 06:16:48 PM »

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8308 on: September 06, 2019, 06:28:35 PM »

On my butt

Sig by For Tyeth

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #8309 on: September 07, 2019, 02:04:58 AM »

Currently, I'm not sitting. Plus, I'd be running back and forth between tables 1, 2, 3, and 4 (mostly 2, 3, and 4).

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 592   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: