Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Old Lightsaber Colors  (Read 2654 times)
thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 22

Go green? Go red!

« on: January 14, 2011, 04:33:42 AM »

Does anyone else miss the old lightsaber colors, pre Ep. II? I miss the good ol' days when the Jedi did not just have green and blue (and some how 1 purple). I dont know, this might just be me. And also on that note, what ever happened to the variety of colors anyway? I know there was the only two color rule for the Jedi and I remember making things easier for the viewers by only seeing two colors, but I think the variety would have been pretty cool to see.

Star Wars Society of San Antonio
Sith Shadow Council of Texas
San Antonio Lightsaber Academy

Jammo
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 326

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:39:47 AM »

The green or blue thing was determined in universe by the available crystals. Most Jedi built a lightsaber on Ilum, which only had crystals of blue and green hues. Windu got purple from Hurrikane gems, so the story goes, and other sources were used in addition to Ilum in the Old Republic. The Sith primarily used a synthetic crystal for their red sabers.

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:00:56 AM »

Well yeah, I remember all that. But before Ep.II, there were different Jedi with different colors. Mace had blue, Ki Adi had purple, Adi had crimson, Plo had orange (I think), and even Yoda had a yellow saber. The variety of saber color seemed to stick more to the expanded universe, so in the movies, the variety wasn't there.

Jammo
Knight Commander

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 05:31:27 AM »

The yellow Yoda was cut content, if I remember right, but there were other colors in comics.

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 05:59:33 AM »

Oh yeah, tons, copper, silver, and all those other colors. Im just wondering why they were cut from the movie. I would have liked to see them in the movie instead of Lucasfilm make up an excuse to cg only two colors. Well, maybe, but I think that was their reason.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 07:43:05 AM »

Well, from what I heard, when they made the OT it was blue and red due to limitations of tech making the movies. Tech was better by Jedi, so they added Green to the mix to change it up. Of course, by the prequels this was no longer a problem (thank you Mr. Computer! lol) but I would bet they left it largely with the same few colors shown because that was the way they did it before, so they figured why change it. *shrug* Someone should ask Lucas. XD On another note... I once had a Plastic lightsaber, available after Ep II was out, that was unmarked as to whose it was. Personally, from what I had heard of the colors and seen of the hilts, I assumed it to be Plo Koons (It had an Orange blade) Me and my buddies loved that thing till the day it dueled it's last. I would love to see different colors of plastic saber made again, instead of just Red, Blue, Green, and the occasional Purple.

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Jammo
Knight Commander

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:13:50 AM »

Another reason for adding green is that they found that a blue saber looked weak in the fight over the sarlaac pit against that nice blue sky. Luke's saber was blue in the initial promotional posters, too.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 09:05:33 AM »

A good point. Always wondered why they changed it before release. Now I know. lol That first blue in ANH will always be my fav though. It simply was, is, and will forever be... the coolest weapon ever. Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 01:09:33 AM »

Hah, yeah, I remember the not-so-friendly blue sky reason for going green. But the green saber was just so damn epic. I guess my big complaint was Ep.II suddenly going all blue/green on us when everyone else all ready had a variety of saber colors. Even some of the Ep.I games (yes, I will admit I played Star Wars Force Battles) and the figures had different color lightsabers. Guess I just think it would have been neat to stick to that and maybe add story to how each saber crystal is obtained, not just on Ilum and whatever other couple planets have them (no target practice for not knowing other planets off hand without searching Wookiepedia!).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: