Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Tales of Jammo  (Read 2528 times)
Jammo
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 326

Hawk-Bat Leader

« on: September 26, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »

I've been jacking around with my Jammo of the Old Republic a bit lately, but I figure I'll start at the beginning with this little bit I posted here a while back:

The man decided it best to hang back and remained unnoticed. Something was stirring in the Force and he wished to see it unfold as it should. The boy was boastful, perhaps not without reason, but a tad overblown all the same. He was a member of House Mecetti and had just won some lightfoil tournament, a favorite pastime among the noble houses of the Tapani sector. Lightfoils were, of course, an underpowered cousin of the Jedi lightsaber, flashy but barely able to cause a burn, even on their highest power settings.

"Who of you dogs will accept my challenge?" the boy taunted. He sure was mouthy for a boy that couldn't be more than 13 or 14 standard years old, the man thought. Just then, the stirring that the man felt in the Force stepped forward. He was younger and smaller than the boastful boy, yet seemed calm and unafraid, unlike the rest of the nervous boys.

"I accept." the boy said.

"Oh, House Pelagia steps forward!" the older boy exclaimed in a mocking tone, "I wouldn't think any of your house to be bold enough, but your humiliation will serve a fine example for all of your number."

With that he ignited his lightfoil, bringing forth a thin red energy blade. The smaller boy ignited his pale yellow blade and braced for the inevitable attack. The older boy shouted and flung himself at him, expecting the sheer ferocity of his attack to overwhelm him. Surprisingly, the boy swatted aside all five of the attacks that the older boy made.

"Well, you at least have some skill, but you can't just retreat all day, despite what the cowards of your house taught you," the older boy said, regrouping and trying not to show his frustration.

"Very well," the younger boy said, "I will attack once."

"Once? Is that a joke? Don't think yourself in a position to insult me!"

The smaller boy lunged out in a clumsy looking thrust and the older boy reacted immediately, moving to his left and counterattacking. To his surprise, the hand that he thought would be easy pickings dropped as the boy tossed his lightfoil to his other hand, spinning back around the older boy's counter attack and striking his wrist hard enough to make him drop his foil. Muffled laughter arose from the group of boys as the younger boy extinguished his blade and stepped away.

"You think this ends with a lucky shot?" the older boy howled, furiously gathering up his weapon. Two more boys of House Mecetti stepped out and ignited their foils as well. The man knew it was time to intervene and stepped out into the hall.

"Surely, you don't intend to set upon this boy so unfairly after he has honorably beaten you?" the man inquired.

"Oh look, the insolent boy has a new friend, and a blind man with a stick at that!" the boy remarked, "Move along, sightless one, or share in his fate."

"I like our chances, actually..."

The man took up a combat stance as a column of blue light sprang from his "stick." The boys dropped their weapons and ran, cursing as they retreated. They were no match for a Jedi.

"I am Cornelius Hulis, Jedi Knight." the man said as he stowed his lightsaber.

"I am Jammo of House Pelagia, Master Jedi."

"That was some fancy sword work for one so young... come, let us speak to your parents about your training."

"Training, Master Jedi?"

"Yes. Certainly you have felt the Force stirring within you, have you not? We Miraluka may be blind in one sense, but we see plainly through the Force, young one, and you have the potential to become a Jedi. Now where might I find your parents?"

"This way, Master Jedi..."

I'll have more in this thread as it falls out of my head...

Jammo
Knight Commander

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:45:15 PM »

Better spacing for your reading...

Alright, I have another part ready. If you have any feedback, I'd really appreciate it and might even pop you a point for it. Here we go...

The boy sat quietly, immersed in the task before him. He always seemed to fall into a trance-like state as he worked on his lightsaber, which was perhaps a monument to the obsessive nature of his continued tuning of it. Still, Jammo was somewhat unsettled even as he worked. Something in the room just wasn’t quite what it should be and he knew it, even though he didn’t let on right away.

“You got closer this time,” Jammo suddenly said into the darkness, “Tell me, Shalyn, why are you always trying to sneak up on me?”

The girl stood some ten feet away from Jammo, her arms crossed as if displeased with her failure to completely mask her presence from the boy with the Force. She was a couple years older than Jammo and had developed into a sort of antagonistic older sister for the young Jedi hopeful in the last year since he had left his home in the Tapani Sector with Master Hulis to train at a Jedi Chapter House.

“You’re the only one besides the Knights and Masters that I haven’t been able to tag yet, Jammo,” the girl mused, “Besides, I figure they would be grumpy if use them for practice.”

“Well yes, I’m sure they would be, considering you can’t even tag a boy that only built his lightsaber two months ago and still hasn’t been taken by a Knight or Master yet,” Jammo teased.

“Oh pipe down, prodigy… Master Hulis is about to take you himself once his Padawan is knighted. In two days, you should have a Master of impeccable pedigree if all the rumors are right.”

Jammo secured the last piece of his saber and focused on it with the Force, seeking anything that might be wrong with it and tuning it to him as Master Hulis and the other instructors had instructed him to do. As it floated in front of him, he triggered its switch using only the Force. Pale yellow light filled the room as the blade sprang forth with the distinctive snap/hiss that only a lightsaber is capable of producing.

“Jammo, you should work on your theatrical tendencies,” Shalyn lectured, “It would not be befitting of Master Hulis’ Padawan to draw such attention to himself, given the methods Master Hulis tends to favor.”

“All things work through the Force, Shalyn… if not for my theatrics, Master Hulis might never have found me.”

“You may have a point, but you would still do well to temper the showboating… I seem to remember Master Hulis saying something about having to bail you out of a three on one lightfoil fight, after all.”

The boy laughed a bit. “I did kind of step in it that day. Shall we?”

Shalyn unclipped her lightsaber, ignited it, and took up a stance appropriate to her choice of the lightsaber form Soresu. Jammo took a quick bow and dropped into an Ataru stance. Shalyn frowned disapprovingly at this, thinking that an initiate of his experience should stick to Shi-Cho.

“Master Hulis might scold you for using that,” Shalyn cautioned as she moved through a sequence of maneuvers with the young hopeful, her green blade dancing with ease as she tried to draw him in.

“I might scold you for offering up such transparent bait, Shalyn,” Jammo teased as he parried the attack that the girl had been trying to set him up for.

Shalyn then reached out with the Force at Jammo’s back foot, trying to trip the boy up and upset his balance, but with an uncanny quickness the boy responded with a Force assisted flip accompanied by a fierce upward sweep of his lightsaber to clear his movement.

“You play unfairly, Shalyn.”

“And you’re cocky, Jammo.”

The mood in the room suddenly changed. Someone was there and wanted them to know it. The two warriors extinguished their sabers without a word and placed them on their belts. Master Hulis stepped forward, unassuming as always and only casually taking notice of the skirmish he had just seen.

“Shalyn speaks with wisdom in the advice she gives you, Jammo… still, I must advise you to perhaps be a little less vocal your criticisms and trust in the Force, Shalyn. Much is possible for both of you, after all.”

“Thank you, Master.” Shalyn replied.

“I must also say that I am surprised that a Padawan knows so much of the deliberations of the Jedi Council concerning the assignment awaiting young Jammo, but I guess that people will talk when a Jedi hopeful shows the kind of potential that you have, my boy. Enough of this idle talk, though, you both need to move on to your beds and get some sleep.”

“Yes, Master,” they replied, taking a small bow as they walked past Master Hulis toward the barracks of the Chapter House.

As Master Hulis strolled toward his quarters he happened upon Shalyn’s master, who was looking over a datapad containing some sort of ship readouts for one of the Chapter House’s scout ships.

“Is everything ready, Jayzaa?”

“It is, Master Hulis… do you think the boy is ready?”

“This is a small matter, Jayzaa, and the boy needs to get his feet wet at some point. He should be fine, especially since this is merely arbitration and I’d like him to learn the more diplomatic side of what it is to be a Jedi.”

“He certainly needs some instruction in that.”

“Come now, Jayzaa, were you any more patient the day I took you as my Padawan?”

“I suppose not. Does he know yet?”

“Only through the Padawan underground.”

“Padawans will talk, it seems. Well, I must be going, Master. May the Force be with you.”

“May the Force be with you, Jayzaa.”
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:55:54 PM by Nero Attoru » Logged

Jammo
Knight Commander

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »

New chapter...

"Master, is this your idea of negotiations?" Jammo asked as he hurriedly deflected incoming blaster fire.

"All things are negotiation, Padawan," Master Hulis replied, "Trust in the Force."

"How are Master Jayzaa and Shalyn doing with the other party, Master?"

"They will do as the Force will have them do, Padawan... focus on our tasking."

The negotiations hadn't broken down on the part of either party, of course, but rather a third party attack that seemed interested in disrupting the whole process. Now Jammo and Master Hulis defended one party as Master Jayzaa and Shalyn defended the other. Something bigger seemed at work, Jammo thought, but the newly assigned Padawan was in a fight for his life and had no time to consider such things.

The attackers were about twelve in number and all of them seemed human. They had killed a guard for one of the Ambassadors in the initial ambush, but had since lost at least three men to blaster bolts sent back to them by the Jedi as they positioned themselves between the assassins and their targets. Jammo felt another assassin fall through the force, struck by a shot from one of the guards.

A sense of excitement filled the air, not a thrill associated with battle, but a glimmer of the mind of one of the assassins. The young Jedi sensed that the man was throwing a grenade. Jammo reached out with the Force, trying to turn it from its deadly path. There! He pushed at it, directing it back towards the man that threw it. The man stood frozen in terror at the power of the Force, but something curious happened. The grenade exploded early, spraying fragments at the attackers yet sparring them the devices full lethality. The badly shaken and somewhat injured attackers threw down their weapons in surrender. It was no use dying in vain for them.

"Master, I must have made some mistake, I wasn't trying to..."

"You weren't trying to make the grenade go off, I understand. I was," Master Hulis interrupted, "A Jedi preserves life whenever possible, Padawan... plus we now have prisoners that might light our way as to the origin of this attack. Ah, I see our back-up has arrived..."

Above them swooped a gunship of sorts with an open door. Men equipped with jet packs leaped out and used their packs to complete their descent to the ground. These men were the legendary Republic Rocket-Jumpers, an elite unit of the Republic Military. Jammo was curious as to why they hadn't been deployed in the first place, but Master Hulis preferred a low profile and that was likely the reason that they hadn't been used until something got hot.

As the attackers were being rounded up, a man cursed loudly and fell dead. Jammo got to him first, noticing that he had some kind of capsule in his teeth. Poison. Somebody didn't want to talk, it seemed.

"Master!" Jammo yelled.

"Yes, Padawan, he used some kind of poison on himself, it seems..."

"No, its not that, Master... I know this man. He is a member of House Mecetti."

That's all I got for now...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:56:33 PM by Nero Attoru » Logged

Jammo
Knight Commander

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:47:15 PM »

Quote and modify are too close together. That's twice...

EDIT:  Fixed em both for ya!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:57:06 PM by Nero Attoru » Logged

Palan
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 7

There is no emotion; there is peace.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »

Great story. love the dialougue.

"Whatever our fate, let us meet it as Jedi."

Bellicose, GB -FoC VA- ~Obsidian

Jammo
Knight Commander

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »

Great story. love the dialougue.

Thanks. I need to get some more chapters out soon. I particularly like Master Hulis. He's got a curious way about him... just mystical and confusing enough to teach a young Jedi.

Palan
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 7

There is no emotion; there is peace.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 03:30:56 AM »

Thanks. I need to get some more chapters out soon. I particularly like Master Hulis. He's got a curious way about him... just mystical and confusing enough to teach a young Jedi.
great keep them coming!  Smiley

"Whatever our fate, let us meet it as Jedi."

Bellicose, GB -FoC VA- ~Obsidian

Jammo
Knight Commander

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 03:30:04 AM »

Shootin' from the hip about what's been stewing in Jammo's head:

The boy looked intently at the display in the Jedi Library. It was his first time visiting Ossus and Jammo couldn't help but use the Library's massive archives to look further into the incident at the negotiations the previous month. The Force told him that something bigger was at work, and that the Mecetti man that poisoned himself was protecting a greater truth that needed to be exposed.

"Still at it, Padawan?"

As usual, Master Hulis seemed to appear out of thin air. He didn't particularly like Jammo's insistence that House Mecetti was interfering with the ongoing negotiations that he was acting as the arbiter for, but he allowed the boy to use the archives discreetly to see if he could find any connection. Something was indeed at work, but Master Hulis worried that Jammo's connection to Tapani Sector politics was clouding his vision.

"Master, if there are answers, they may lie on the planet Nyssa," Jammo reported.

"Oh?" Master Hulis replied, "What lies on this... Nyssa, if I may inquire?"

"There are some peculiar allotments of tax-free land holdings that were granted by high-ranking sector nobles. The man from the attack has ties to these people."

"An interesting find, to be sure. Be mindful of you own position, Jammo... being born of House Pelagia, your findings might be called into question."

"I'd like to go there, Master."

"For now, that is out of the question, Padawan. The holdings you speak of belong to the Mecrosa, rumored to be Force sensitive and spies for the House of Mecetti. You are not ready to investigate such a thing on your own and I have other things to attend to. Your findings will be passed along to the sector Watchman, but for now there is not any action to take."

"Yes, Master."

"I have other business to attend to for now, so I shall leave you to your studies and meditations. May the Force be with you, Jammo."

"May the Force be with you, Master."

Jammo
Knight Commander

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 02:00:21 AM »

So, I was jacking around on Hero Machine and made Master Hulis:

I also have another character in the "coming soon" category:

Hopefully these add to my story a bit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: