Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: The "blade socket depth" thread  (Read 21347 times)
Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 07:10:37 PM »

Aeon v3:-          ~3" (~7.6 cm)
Archon v2.1:-     4" (10 cm)
Catalyst:-           1.75"
Dominix V4:-      3.5"
Flamberge:-        appx 4 inches on the main blade, appx. .75-1 inch on the crossguards.
Initiate V4:-        2.0"
Liberator:-          2.6" (6.5 cm)
Manticore:-         3.0"
Sentinel:-           2.75"
Propecy v3:-       3.14 inches (8 cm)
Standard Issue:- 1.9" (4.8 cm) to the bottom slant

All so far...

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 07:19:15 PM »

First post updated and added another hilt I had handy.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 09:09:48 PM »

Flamberge: appx 4 inches on the main blade, appx. .75-1 inch on the crossguards.

The v2 is about 3.5 inches on the main blade. Crossguards I'd say is the same.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 09:49:38 PM »

Thank you all for your help, I personally find it really valuable to know these measures! Also kudos to Drahcir to keep the first post up to date!
I wish I could add more to the list but I only have a Prophecy so far and the sabers I expect to arrive tomorrow are already on the list.
Keep them coming! Smiley

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 10:52:16 AM »

Archon v3.1 = ~0.7" (~1.7 cm)

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 04:09:04 AM »

Aeon v2: 2.5"
Initiate v3: 2.5"

Also:
Manticore: 3.0"
Initiate V4: 2.0"
Catalyst: 1.75"
Dominix V4: 3.5"
Sentinel: 2.75"
Are you sure about your Dominix v4 measurement?  I measure mine at 2 5/8".  Did you get a typo on the first number?

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 04:45:01 AM »

Aeon v2: 2.5"
Initiate v3: 2.5"

Also:Are you sure about your Dominix v4 measurement?  I measure mine at 2 5/8".  Did you get a typo on the first number?
Good eye.  I just remeasured and got 3.25" three times.  I knew it had a deeper channel than the Manticore, but the initial measurement was erroneous. Smiley

So, I got 3.25" on the Dominix V4.

I'm not sure why you get a different number.  The Dom we have is MM's, and is an LE, but I honestly don't see that making any difference.  She has two of them - staff - I'm going to measure the other, and see if it's the same.

EDIT: And, of course it is.  3.25" on both - confirmed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:37:26 AM by Lord Rapine » Logged

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Vyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 05:45:45 AM »

Good eye.  I just remeasured and got 3.25" three times.  I knew it had a deeper channel than the Manticore, but the initial measurement was erroneous. Smiley

So, I got 3.25" on the Dominix V4.
Mine is still nowhere close to that.  Maybe it's a configuration difference?  I don't see it in your sig; how is yours configured?

This is just a guess, but it seems plausible to me that Emerald would add depth required for the LED module, shortening the blade socket depth.  There must be at least 5 wires going to a 4-channel Emerald LED module, compared to two for a single-color module; that might take extra space between the bottom of the module and the AV switch.  If that is the issue, this list might get a whole lot more complex.

Would some other people who have sabers that are already on the list check to see if theirs match up?

Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 05:49:05 AM »

Mine is still nowhere close to that.  Maybe it's a configuration difference?  I don't see it in your sig; how is yours configured?

This is just a guess, but it seems plausible to me that Emerald would add depth required for the LED module, shortening the blade socket depth.  There must be at least 5 wires going to a 4-channel Emerald LED module, compared to two for a single-color module; that might take extra space between the bottom of the module and the AV switch.  If that is the issue, this list might get a whole lot more complex.

Would some other people who have sabers that are already on the list check to see if theirs match up?
The Dominixes aren't mine, they're my GF's.  They're both Obs lite - no emerald.  Maybe that is it. Smiley

The Manticore depth is with Emerald, the others are not.

It just occured to me that any saber with a "fixed" emitter would have varying depth depending on the LED set-up.

Any sabers with MHS emitters should have the same depth regardless.   Hey - it's late...lol
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:11:14 AM by Lord Rapine » Logged

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Vyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 06:10:03 AM »

The Dominixes aren't mine, they're my GF's.  They're both Obs lite - no emerald.  Maybe that is it. Smiley

The Manticore depth is with Emerald, the others are not.

Thanks!  For the record, my Initiate v3 is Obsidian Lite with a tri-Cree; it's from a few months ago.  My Obs/Em Dominix v4 is one month old.  My Aeon v2 is a single LED from 2012; size-wise, I don't think there's a difference between the 4-year-old single-LED and 3-month-old tri-Cree modules.  (Also, my Aeon v2 sits slightly higher than original due to some mods I crammed in there, but I accounted for that in my measurement.)  In a few more days, I'll have a SY Aeon v3 stunt to check the measurements of too.  Grin  (Hmm...  Maybe I should order a few more sabers... you know, so I can check their socket depths as a public service. Cheesy )

If this is due to wiring, then we should see a progressively shorter blade socket depth depending on the number of wires to the LED module.  This is my understanding of how many wires there have to be; can somebody verify this?

single-LED: 2 wires
tri-Cree: 2 wires
mixed and forum colors: 3 wires
FoC: add 1 wire
2-channel Emerald: 3 wires
4-channel Emerald with one devoted to AV switch: 4 wires
4-channel Emerald with all four to the LED: 5 wires

I'm not sure about the mixed/forum colors in particular; I know there are resistors on one color for all of them except AS, but I'm not clear if the resistors are internal to the module (in which case you'd only need 2 wires) or external (in which case you'd need 3).  I'm also assuming that they use a common ground (that's how I'd do it), but I can't confirm that either.  The only module I have with more than 2 wires is my Emerald module, and it sure as heck does not want to move in my hilt, unlike my other two sabers!  Of course, if nobody confirms this before my new saber gets here, I can confirm it then.  Smiley

Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 06:20:17 AM »

Updated the first post once more.

Also just picked up a v4 Dominix stunt I had lying around and the blade depth measured between 2.9 - 3"
I suspect variation might exist for all v4 and v3 designs based on how long the wires the installer used.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Vyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 06:47:02 AM »

Updated the first post once more.

Also just picked up a v4 Dominix stunt I had lying around and the blade depth measured between 2.9 - 3"
I suspect variation might exist for all v4 and v3 designs based on how long the wires the installer used.
Ugh.  That would kind of mess up the whole idea of this thread, other than for providing a range...  It might be limited to only some sabers, though.

I know why you said v4; did somebody mention a discrepancy for a v3 measurement?  Or is that your suspicion based on the internal design of the hilts?

Another possibility occurs to me: Drahcir and Rapine, when were your Dominices made?  (If you know.)  I doubt that has anything to do with it, but I'm trying to come up with explanations other than it being effectively random....  Unfortunately, Drahcir's hypothesis seems pretty plausible.

Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2016, 06:51:43 AM »

The internal space between the v3's and v4's are similar enough that anything that effects a v4 probably effects the v3.
It's just suspicion, but I'd put money on it.

The v4 Dominix I have on hand is just a couple months old.

Even if ranges are all that are gained from this, it still provides a good idea of what to expect - so it doesn't seem too problematic to me.

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2016, 09:04:33 AM »

MM's Doms are only a couple months old too.

It should only be limited to any saber with a fixed emitter. Shouldn't it?  That would mean all the way back right?

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 479

Keep your concentration here and now,...

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »

The Bane is going to be my second saber. Does someone know how deep is the blade socket of the Bane?? Thank you...

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
Sentinel V4 - Tri Consular Green - Obsidian V4
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)
Wife's Lightsaber: Prophecy V3 - Arctic Blue - Obsidian V3

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: