Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: UltraSaber shutting off randomly  (Read 15330 times)
Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »

Hi. My saber did the same thing today. I did listen to the advice at the top of the chat and I replaced the batteries with some new ones just 5 or 6 hours ago (I have the AAA configuration). But, it's doing it again! I don't know how long the batteries are supposed to last because this is one of my first sabers, but it's probably supposed to last longer than 5 or 6 hours. So I don't know if it's a low battery problem or something that's probably harder to fix. Also, it hasn't been shutting off randomly with the "obsidian" voice for the five or six hours spent. But I did accidentally bang the saber against the wall a moment back and it didn't feel like I hit the saber too hard at all. My saber is a Dominix v4 with obsidian lite sound and a heavy grade blade. And I did hit it on the blade, not on the hilt. Could someone help me? It's happening more often than it did 5 or 6 hours back and, as you could understand, I love my saber very much. I would not like it shutting off on me randomly. (I didn't change the batteries yet nor checked if anything inside the saber is damaged. Plus, even if I did check the saber, I probably wouldn't recognize if anything is damaged or how to reverse the damage) I greatly appreciate any help. (P.S. I think it was probably more than five or six hours ago.)

Again, as with some of the earlier posts - the rules. Main page, big red letters at the top. Please read them and acknowledge them. Thanks.

It's probably your batteries. If left on continuously, your saber will last about 1.5-2 hours. Also, the obsidian lite has a reputation for the batteries becoming loose with contact. You can use velcro, electrical tape, or rubber bands to wrap around the batteries to help keep them in place. What's probably happening is that your hit just barely wiggled one of the batteries, and the contact is inconsistent combined with your batteries draining, which is why you're getting the shut off followed by the reboot obsidian noise.

WI think these sabers, when in doubt, try replacing the batteries. It really is the solution the vast majority of the time.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

The Luigi
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 06:00:19 PM »

Thank you so much for helping me! I greatly appreciate it. My saber looks fully functional at the moment (hopefully it stays that way for a long time). I secured some tape tightly around the battery pack and added a strip of Velcro to it for support. Thank you so much for the advice! Grin (I also read the rules and I acknowledge them now. Thank you for telling me.)

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 07:21:04 PM »

Thank you so much for helping me! I greatly appreciate it. My saber looks fully functional at the moment (hopefully it stays that way for a long time). I secured some tape tightly around the battery pack and added a strip of Velcro to it for support. Thank you so much for the advice! Grin (I also read the rules and I acknowledge them now. Thank you for telling me.)

You're welcome. I'm glad it works for you.

As for the rules, please be sure to post a quick acknowledgement in that thread, too.

The Luigi
Force Sensitive

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 05:46:22 AM »

Hi it's me again! My saber is doing it again (again Embarrassed)... I turned it on probably more than ten times today and spent about five or more minutes swinging it around each time it was turned on. I know Landen told me that if the saber was left on continuously the batteries would last for about 2 hours, but by saber wasn't left on too long (or continuously), and with all the minutes added up (the minutes it was on) the saber would have only been left on an hour and ten minutes! I'm very concerned about what's going on. Are the batteries' life in my saber being drained faster than normal? Is it a battery problem (But I did change the batteries and it did help this morning)? Do you think it's a problem with my wiring? I'm sorry if I sound too concerned or if I sound like I'm asking too much. Thanks for helping in advance. Any advice would be awesome.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 12:43:09 PM »

Thanks for posting in the rules.

Relax a little bit. I said they would last 1.5 to 2 hours, because that's the average time people report getting. The majority of users get somewhere around 1.5 hours, though. So, if you're getting about an hour and ten minutes, you're getting close to the average.

There are a lot of factors that influence your run time. The type of battery, the color of your blade, whether or not it's tri cree, etc. can all make a difference. I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Is your saber operating correctly? Does it sound good? Does it look good? Does it do all the things you paid for? If sk, then it's working right, and everything seems to be ok. You should now know you can expect about an hour and ten minutes of use from your saber with the batteries you are using.

If you'd like to get more usage out of a single set of batteries, do a search of the forums (the little magnifying glass at the top) to see if you can find some threads devoted to which type of batteries last the longest.

The Luigi
Force Sensitive

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 03:04:32 PM »

Ok. Thank you so much for the information Cheesy. I feel a better knowing that it really isn't something with the wiring and it's not just accelerated battery consumption. I did a bit of research and some people said that the AAA battery configuration's life may vary for different options. People with my options, or something similar, have reported that their sabers' life lasts about an hour to an hour and a half (on Duracell batteries). Thanks Landen!

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 04:30:22 PM »

You're quite welcome.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, and happy sabering.

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 06:37:59 PM »

Hey guys Smiley

Another thing for people to keep in mind- never hear anyone talk about it but it's a pretty huge thing if you're a dueler.  If you have a saber WITH SOUND, wether it's obsidian v4, v3, lite, other guys board, whatever, just any saber with sound- than its 99% likely you've got a MOMENTARY switch of some kind, wether it's illuminated, guarded, AV, whatever- and MOMENTARY switches are known for cutting out on harsh impact/ jarring.  It's because of how they operate compared to a latching switch.  Really seems to vary from switch to switch, even amongst switches of the same kind, but I have 2 sabers that are like that really bad- anything above moderate contact and there's a 50/50 chance the saber's shutting down instantly. Funny thing is, I also have one saber that seems absolutely impervious to this phenomenon lol- no matter how rdiculously hard you smash it it just won't fail. I plan on replacing the switches and trying my luck with new ones.  It's not even really a defect in the switches I don't think, just an unfortunate side effect of the way they work they're vulnerable to false contacts/ triggering if you know what I mean- I don't really have the vocabulary for this stuff yet:). 

But that's always a big possibility if you've got saber shutting off problems (and you've got momentary).  But US is super helpful via email with tech problems I can say that from experience- so never hesitate to give them a shout if worried. 

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 08:14:38 PM »

I sent my son's back to US cuz it was just shutting off as soon as it started up, with tape and new batteries. It's expected back today. My saber and my other sons saber started rebooting but I'm gonna chalk that up to batteries getting low. Good info on this thread though

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Rule0F2
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 04:41:07 AM »

I am having the exact same issue with my dark savior (obsidian lite sound board) I tried to keep the batteries in with tape as well as small rubber bands. The only other thing I can think of it go try brand new batteries.  I don't think it will make a difference though because it will turn right back on after it powers off but only stays on for about 20 seconds

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 01:37:51 PM »

Hey there, Rule0F2.  So that you won't re-open old threads, just open up a new thread like you did asking for help.  A few of us has already responded.   Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: