Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Aeon v4 Aluminum Question  (Read 2952 times)
4wrdUn2Dwn
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: April 30, 2016, 10:24:47 PM »

Just got my Phantasm v4 and messing around with it last night, after I was done for an hour dueling my hands were silver with aluminum from the hilt. My question is, is there any way to keep this from happening or does the aluminum eventually stop coming off when dueling? My guess is a clear coat of something to go over the hilt will solve this but curious as to anyone else's ideas.

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 09:21:35 AM »

I'm afraid that's how aluminum works - there's a very thin oxide layer on every aluminum preventing it to chemically react (the aluminum is a very reactive metal).
Contacting with a sweating hand (salty liquid) this protective layer is damaged and some sort of corrosion begins and the result can be seen on the palm.
As far as I imagine the hilt is an alloy and I have no idea what does this contamination remaining on the hand exactly contain - any idea anyone?

Cleaning the saber with a mild detergent can help to remove this contamination and another oxide layer can be formed.
Using gloves can reduce the chemical impact your skin does after continuous use.
(And black coated sabers of course are exempt from these symptoms Smiley)

4wrdUn2Dwn
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 07:26:57 PM »

Cool, I thought it would be something like that, where it can't be helped unless using gloves. Just want to have someone confirm my suspicions. I'll have to find some decent gloves to wear when dueling. Thanks!

Moontei
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 05:30:52 AM »

Whoa didn't know that about aluminum. Is the corrosion that gets on the hands harmful in anyway and would constant corrosion on the saber eventually eat through/weaken the aluminum? Have my first saber on the way so dunno about any of this.

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:08 AM »

Whoa didn't know that about aluminum. Is the corrosion that gets on the hands harmful in anyway and would constant corrosion on the saber eventually eat through/weaken the aluminum? Have my first saber on the way so dunno about any of this.

Here I would also be happy to get some expert feedback.
Aluminum itself is known to be toxic (damages the central nerve sytem in a certain dose) but you can not avoid contacting this metal in many ways in your life.
But I have no idea about these alloys and what aircraft grade means, also about that oxidation and how it affects oon/through the skin and in which dose. Any input on this I would appreciate.
For sure you'll not "consume" the saber in corrosion, it's not like an old stone staircase weathered in a castle tower Smiley

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:10 PM »

It is not harmful at all. The amount that can be absorbed through the skin is insufficient to do any harm and is is not cumulative, meaning it is filtered back out of the body. It is filtered back out much faster than it is absorbed through skin.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=1076&tid=34
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:21:24 PM by firehand10k » Logged

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 10:30:58 PM »

It is not harmful at all. The amount that can be absorbed through the skin is insufficient to do any harm and is is not cumulative, meaning it is filtered back out of the body. It is filtered back out much faster than it is absorbed through skin.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=1076&tid=34

That's very helpful, thank you!

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »

Thanks for the info.

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS