Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Initiate V4 LE Grab Bag Saber  (Read 5865 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« on: May 04, 2016, 06:12:25 AM »

Well, I got my first Ultra Saber today.  I ordered a grab bag on Thursday.  With the US turnaround, I had my FedEx tracking number on Friday.  Since I paid for 2 (week) day shipping, I got it today.  Now, for some reason, and this is by no means Ultra Sabers' fault, the package sat in a warehouse a few miles from where I live all day yesterday.  Since it arrived there Sunday night, I see no reason for it to have not been delivered yesterday.  But, that's delivery companies for you.  I stopped trying to figure them out a long time ago.  So, it arrived today, while I was at work (of course.)  So, waiting was torture.  But, I got home and that long box was waiting for me.

I was extremely pleased when I pulled out an Initiate V4 LE with the windowed emitter.  It's absolutely beautiful.  I love the gold accents on the silver finish.

(click on images to enlarge)

As you can see, the hilt has a silver non lighted AV switch.  I opted for the heavy grade blade so I can duel with it.  Here she is all lit up.

As you can see, it came with blazing red LEDs.  (it looks yellow-orange on my camera, but it's very red in person)  That's not necessarily the color I would have picked, but the whole point of a grab bag is to not pick things.  So, I let them pick the color of the LEDs, so there's no point in complaining.  Besides, I'll be more selective with my next purchase.  I may also order some color discs and fiddle with the color.

Anyway, I'm pleased as punch with this beauty.  All said, with the LE finish, non lit silver AV switch, 36" heavy grade blade and windowed emitter, this setup would cost $104.99.  I got it for $70.  It's got a great weight to it, it's really nice for spinning.  I'm a very novice spinner, but I did some simple backwards spins and it spins effortlessly.  I'm looking forward to dueling, though I need to learn to do that too.  Cheesy  I'll probably add a longer pommel to my next order, which I'm planning to order during the May the Fourth promo.  (I want a T-shirt and blade plug Wink)  I'm sure to be an Ultra Sabers junkie now.  I'd like a longer pommel (maybe a Shock LE to go with the them of the saber or a Catalyst) to give it more length for two handed wielding.  I'll probably also add a D-ring for hanging it from a belt, since it didn't come with a covertec wheel.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:49:40 AM »

Hey ya scifidude79!

Great looking saber.  Nice score. Wink

I'm reading a lot of "shipping nightmares" lately - not a comfort. O_o

When you order your next saber, I'd suggest looking at either the Sentinels or Aeons for two hands. I have a Dark Sentinel, and it's extremely comfortable.

I can't say anything bad about BR...lol

Way to go! +1

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:14:39 PM »

Thanks Lord Rapine.  Grin

Yeah, I see you like the blood red.  Though, that's understandable, as you obviously are a Sith.  I don't really identify as one.  Though, I'm not sure I identify as a Jedi either.  (seriously, you can't even get married!)  Maybe I'm just like old Jolee Bindo.  Wink

My experience wasn't a "shipping nightmare," just an oddity.  It arrived exactly when it was scheduled to, I'd just like to know why I couldn't have it earlier.  But, at least I had it by today, with the important holiday and all.  Cheesy

I'm definitely thinking of an Aeon (possibly a V3, since the V4 is basically a long Initiate) for my next one, or a Sentinel.  I really like the look of both of those.  Probably blue for the blade, I just have to decide which blue I want.  I'll probably also throw in another grab bag, that was so much fun.  Plus, I need to make sure I spend at least $250 to use the coupon codes I want to use.  I haven't decided if I want to get one with sound yet, or just stick with the stunt sabers.  Probably stunt, because if I get one with sound, I want to go all out and get a really expensive one that I can't afford right now.  Plus, I can afford to buy more if I buy stunt sabers.

And, on a side note, 1 out of 2 cats loves my new Initiate.  One goes running scared when I pull it out and start flipping it around.  The other one likes it so much that he bats at the blade.  Cool

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:30:48 PM »

Thanks Lord Rapine.  Grin

Yeah, I see you like the blood red.  Though, that's understandable, as you obviously are a Sith.  I don't really identify as one.  Though, I'm not sure I identify as a Jedi either.  (seriously, you can't even get married!)  Maybe I'm just like old Jolee Bindo.  Wink

My experience wasn't a "shipping nightmare," just an oddity.  It arrived exactly when it was scheduled to, I'd just like to know why I couldn't have it earlier.  But, at least I had it by today, with the important holiday and all.  Cheesy

I'm definitely thinking of an Aeon (possibly a V3, since the V4 is basically a long Initiate) for my next one, or a Sentinel.  I really like the look of both of those.  Probably blue for the blade, I just have to decide which blue I want.  I'll probably also throw in another grab bag, that was so much fun.  Plus, I need to make sure I spend at least $250 to use the coupon codes I want to use.  I haven't decided if I want to get one with sound yet, or just stick with the stunt sabers.  Probably stunt, because if I get one with sound, I want to go all out and get a really expensive one that I can't afford right now.  Plus, I can afford to buy more if I buy stunt sabers.

And, on a side note, 1 out of 2 cats loves my new Initiate.  One goes running scared when I pull it out and start flipping it around.  The other one likes it so much that he bats at the blade.  Cool
HAHAHA!

My dog seems to go elsewhere whenever I get a saber going too. Smiley

Good call on saving up for a premium saber.  My Manticore kicks.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:47:30 PM »

Every three months we get bonuses for workplace safety, recycling, etc.  Due to how long I've been there, (7 months) I'm just now qualifying for said bonuses.  I figure bonus time will be a great time to think about a saber with all the cool stuff I want, like that fantastic Obsidian sound board.  I just have to decide which hilt I want with all of that.  I'll probably have that as a show piece, and just use stunt sabers for spinning and dueling.

DarthDradeus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -64

With a title like Darth....dark side points please

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 07:00:19 PM »

Maybe I'm just like old Jolee Bindo.  Wink

So you mean you're a cranky old semi-jedi? Tongue In all seriousness, great looking saber. My wife has the exact same one but in Violet Amethyst. The gold accents look amazing on that hilt. Oh and you mentioned debating on getting one with sound. Without a doubt, you should eventually get one with sound. I know it is tempting to get more stunts in lieu of a sound saber but trust me....sound is a must have at some point. I have stunts and I have sabers with sound and sound really is amazing, just at least one!

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »

Well, maybe a cranky semi-old sort of Jedi.  Cheesy

I'm definitely getting one with sound.  It's just a matter of waiting until I have more money to get the one with sound.  I want the fancy Obsidian soundboard with different fonts, not the Lite one.  That's probably what I'll have done with a Guardian, Chosen One or Graflex.  When I can afford one of those hilts, I want to get it fully decked out.  In the meantime, I'll probably stick with stunt sabers and the wonderful Ultra Sabers custom designs.

In the meantime, lightsaber selfie!

I took the blade out so I could put the hilt on my desk in front of me and look at it.  (that's normal, right?  Undecided)  Then, on a whim, I decided to take a selfie with it.

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:50:26 PM »

Very nice catch on a grab bag!
How does it feel in hand when wielding? I'm just about to suggest the initiate for a friend to have as a first saber and he's also on dueling. Whereabout's the balace with that blade?

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 08:31:04 PM »

The balance is on the blade, about 4.75 inches forward of the emitter.  That's probably why the Initiate, by default, comes with a 24-inch blade.  It's probably more perfectly balanced with that size of blade.  I'm hoping adding a longer pommel (leaning towards the Catalyst pommel, since it is in stock and will be flush to the hilt) and D-Ring will balance it a bit better.  If it's still not balanced then, I can also add a bit of weight to the pommel, which I can't do as easily with the solid chunk of aluminum that's in there now.  It definitely feels a bit blade heavy in the hand, holding it at the choke point between the button and the emitter.  Still, I find it pretty comfortable to swing around.  But then, I am also untrained in saber combat.  I plan to learn at least something soon.  I'll probably work on that while I wait for my friends to get Ultra Sabers so that we can start dueling.  Wink

Grey Owl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 81

We don't like Star Wars, we live for Star Wars.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 10:15:02 PM »

I can't say anything bad about BR...lol

Way to go! +1
You can say that again;
Sabers:
Emerald Manticore ~ BR                      Dark Initiate V4 (saberpike) ~ BR
Dark Catalyst ~ BR                            Dark Sentinel V4 (stunt) ~ GB

Dark sentinel LE(blazing red)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 11:46:50 PM »

I certainly like the red, it's just a color more often associated with the Sith.  Though, some Jedi have had red blades, including Jedi Master Adi Gallia:

(it looks a big orange here, but it's supposed to be red)

That is, she had a red blade, in the Episode 1 BTS info, action figure, the game Jedi Starfighter, and other sources.  That is, until Attack of the Clones, when they gave her a blue blade, likely to not confuse casual fans, who associate red blades with the Sith.

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 12:35:09 AM »

You can say that again;
Sabers:
Emerald Manticore ~ BR                      Dark Initiate V4 (saberpike) ~ BR
Dark Catalyst ~ BR                            Dark Sentinel V4 (stunt) ~ GB
In all fairness, I did just order one in CG, and there's certainly a few Jedi type hilts I'd like, but what can I say?  It's red...lol

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 02:10:02 PM »

The temptation to buy another saber is very strong even though my first was ordered yesterday.  thanks for sharing the excitement. Initiate  LE v4 consular green -- it's sparring time.

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »

The temptation to buy another saber is very strong even though my first was ordered yesterday.  thanks for sharing the excitement. Initiate  LE v4 consular green -- it's sparring time.

Yeah, tell me about it.  Ordered last Thursday, got it Tuesday.  Got paid today, so I'm already thinking of putting together another order.  Though, this time I'm picking the hilt and blade color.  (though, I'll probably throw in another grab bag)

Now that I have an Initiate and I have a better sense of how long and big around these are, I can say with confidence that I want one of the longer hilts.  I was conflicted on that before I had and held one.

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »

a gb is always a nice start to figure the quality out. I did the same and managed a Dominix V4 in blueI got a few weeks before I manage my next purchase...one as a bday gift.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: