Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Bulvoy's Leather Wrap Walk Through Tutorial Written with Pictures and Video Demo  (Read 46107 times)
Madness
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -61

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2018, 11:04:49 AM »

I'm looking at the 4"x6" leather sampler from http://peggysuealso.com. For those who have done some leather wraps, would this be good to work with? It'd also give me a cache to use on future projects.
yep it's fine I used a leather jacket I bought at Goodwill :p

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2018, 11:42:24 AM »

I'm looking at the 4"x6" leather sampler from http://peggysuealso.com. For those who have done some leather wraps, would this be good to work with? It'd also give me a cache to use on future projects.

Thanks for the find, looking at different leather colors to order one myself.  Have a point

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2018, 11:58:50 AM »

yep it's fine I used a leather jacket I bought at Goodwill :p

That's a pretty creative solution…Thanks!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Madness
Knight Ensign

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2018, 12:45:44 PM »

That's a pretty creative solution…Thanks!

No problem just make sure it says genuine leather and smell it to make sure. I paid 7 bucks and have a TON left over to do other projects.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2018, 02:44:14 AM »

No problem just make sure it says genuine leather and smell it to make sure. I paid 7 bucks and have a TON left over to do other projects.

Awesome tip! I'm considering a reddish chocolate leather to contrast with my Sithy Dominix LE v2

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2018, 02:05:44 AM »

Awesome tip! I'm considering a reddish chocolate leather to contrast with my Sithy Dominix LE v2

Leather ordered…the tension mounts… Undecided

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Madness
Knight Ensign

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2018, 07:07:27 PM »

Leather ordered…the tension mounts… Undecided

Awesome, can I recommend a 5min apoxy instead of 30min it will save you much time. You will be doing an inch or so at time.. and waiting 30min might be a huge time sink.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2018, 01:44:35 AM »

Awesome, can I recommend a 5min apoxy instead of 30min it will save you much time. You will be doing an inch or so at time.. and waiting 30min might be a huge time sink.

well, epoxy was already bought… :/

However, leather just arrived and I thought I'd do a test fit with leather and the grip shroud. Seems that leather is a bit too thick. Will it thin a bit while being wrapped? If not, is there a way to thin it out a bit? I know it's my first time doing this, but I feel kinda bad at this already.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Madness
Knight Ensign

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2018, 01:52:26 AM »

well, epoxy was already bought… :/

However, leather just arrived and I thought I'd do a test fit with leather and the grip shroud. Seems that leather is a bit too thick. Will it thin a bit while being wrapped? If not, is there a way to thin it out a bit? I know it's my first time doing this, but I feel kinda bad at this already.

Damp the back side of the leather with a bit of water like dip your fingers in water then dry on the back of the leather this will make it easier to stretch a bit. How thick is your leather?

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2018, 07:24:34 PM »

Ok! Just finished my first wrap on my saber! I have to say this tutorial was awesome! The saber is currently drying so pictures will be forthcoming…Overall, I think it will come out ok. Getting definition in the grooves of the hilt takes a bit more feel that I will have to develop. & the seam wasn't  100% success but that's ok since I have a grip shroud that will hide the seam anyhow.

I think I will have to cut the opening of the grip shroud to fit it over the leather and hilt…I will know more in 24 hours…

Thanks for this super helpful tutorial and to everyone for their advice!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2018, 12:40:59 PM »

You can see the finished work and a link to the flickr album here:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37799.msg659832#msg659832

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2018, 01:32:01 PM »

Looking good there, mrg.  Nice work and you made your saber your own, complete change from beginning to finish. 

Madness
Knight Ensign

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2018, 08:55:58 PM »

Yeah looks awesome!

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2018, 10:30:28 PM »

Yeah looks awesome!

Madness! Long time no see!

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2018, 06:02:22 PM »

could you use a wash on the leather of enamal paint and thinner to give it a worn and dirty look?  Would this do something adverse to the leather?

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: