Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Graflex Revamp - Tri-Cree FoC, Glass Eye. No Rattle, No Wobble  (Read 17268 times)
Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« on: May 11, 2016, 01:25:48 PM »

Picked up a used Graflex SE a week ago and got to work on modding it. Changes so far:

• Replaced the Single Guardian Blue (Single Cree Royal Blue) with a custom Tri-Cree (Cree Blue/Blue/White).
  • Re-wired Obsidian V4 for FoC
  • Replaced the aluminum "buttons" with replica Graflex button and glass eye, along tighter aluminum fittings.
  • Graflex Button now acts as blade retention thumbscrew.
  • D-ring on Pommel (temporary)
  • Replaced US speaker holder with MHS variant that locks against pommel
  • Graflex Window in Emitter (gap between Bunny-Ear-Ring and main Flash)
  • Custom Graflex Blade Plug
  • Clocking Washer between BladeHolder and MLS unit to eliminate rattle

To-do:

• Replace Grips with low-profile notched variants.
  • Replace Graflex Electrical Pins
  • Replace Pommel with MHS low-profile pommel and Kobold Clip D-Ring
  • Add a few Graflex Greeblies (beer tab & slide switch) with extra screws to lock the bladeholder in place.
  • Light Weathering Paintjob

Onto the pics!

Wiring up the BBW LED with Blue in Series so as not to affect runtime.

MLS Heatsink doesn't thread far enough to seat a Tri-Cree with Lens, so I used some styrene spacers I had leftover from another project. I'll be replacing those with wider aluminum spacers shortly.

Completed Tri-Cree FOC MLS Unit

Re-Wired Obsidian v4 with locking speaker holder.

Emitter window showing off the Blue color and Graflex Pin bladeplug (This Blue is a bit lighter than Guardian Blue, but not quite as light as Arctic Blue). Also a good view of the Glass Eye.

Graflex 2.0 Button and WIP Beer Tab. Not sure if I'll complete the button or not - I kind of like the blade color shining through the button as-is.

Re-drilled and tapped the center hole of the Graflex pommel to accept a 10-32 screw and the Graflex 2.0 D-Ring.

Aaaand here I am goofing around with a silly soundfont:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haFOgLdxTTM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haFOgLdxTTM</a>

More to come soon!

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »

Amazing work so far man, as always! 

Love the glass eye- and yeah I kinda agree about the rear button/ window.  Emitter cutout looks great, awesome job!  Tell me that font was just for the sake of the video lol!!

Can't wait to see with the lp grips Smiley

Hey, Kouri, if you see this could you take a look at CJ Nihilus's battery set up (power bank) thread real quick?  Theres a guy who found a bank with diff output asking about resistors- I didn't wanna tell him wrong thing lol.

Bulvoy
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 500

~Sipra Gehaz~ Rebel Legion "Ghost Base"

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 03:31:32 PM »

That's some tip top work. I like the variant changes, gives it pop. New window shine adds flare. 10,000% agreed on more low profile T-tracks. Hate the stock oversized ones. It's accurate but a major pain if you actually use it. That font , amusing for sure. And the power down had me rolling... Grin

UltraSaber's by bulvoy, on Flickr
Menace - Emerald V4s- RavenSS pommel
Manticore V4s-CG- S /FOC-Renegade small pommel
Crimson Scorpion- V4s-BR- O/FOC
Dominix V3s-SRD
Initiate V4 Lite- VA
            "Im here to chew bubblegum & kick ass, and I'm all outta bubblegum"...

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 05:24:50 PM »

Such a great start to this project! Seems to be a theme lately to modify Graflex sabers  Wink

That window cutout looks so good it's like it was always there. I like the button on the back as well with the tab behind it. Great work +1

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 05:30:34 PM »

HAHAHA... am laughing so hard that I can barely breathe.  Will look at the customization later.   point   Grin

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 06:23:07 PM »

Glad you guys are enjoying the vid, hahah.

And yeah, after having to let go of my actual Graflex flashgun saber, I was quick to pick up a cheap replacement when I spotted the eBay deal. Not going to be as dead-on as the original flash was, but there're still a few tweaks I can put out.

Also, when I'm not needing a laugh, I typically stick with the Episode 7 soundfont.

Finally, I forgot to throw this pic in the initial post. Side view with current mods:

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 12:07:42 AM »

Really cool Kouri . . . +1  Cool

Can I ask, did you machine the "tighter aluminum fittings" under the glass eye and button or are they modified stock US parts ?  Liking the tab under the button also . . . looking forward to the finished pics, great work as always . . .  Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:58:53 PM »

Machined my own. I lucked out with the glass eye adapter, since it was about the same size as the parts I already drew up for converting FX Anakin sabers. Had to work from scratch for the button adapter. That one fits about the same as the original part, but has an ID that'll fit replca Graflex bits. Everything else puts enough force on the other bits to keep everything rock solid.

Anywho, more tinkering!

First order of business was replacing the BBW star with a Blue/RoyalBlue/White star for a slightly deeper color that I think's truer to Episode 7.

Countersunk a slotted 8-32 screw in place of the original button head:

Fastened the beer tab and machined a faux-slide-switch for the side:

And just for fun, toying with an ESB dual-button setup:

-----------

About to order a pommel disc for the flat pommel I've installed so I can get this Kobold clip mounted. Already marked the pommel to make sure everything aligns properly.

Also waiting on a set of sedstiskyfaller grips to print.

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 08:38:59 PM »

Nice ep7 blue!  Think looks great a touch deeper Smiley.  It struck me right away when saw film- was gripping for me lol! That slider switch greebly is so well done, too.  Yeah can't wait to see those grips.  You going with same type material or rather not say ATM?

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 02:02:18 PM »

Grips are going to be 3D-printed nylon (Shapeways Black Strong & Flexible). A couple coats of filler primer to smooth out the pores, then a base coat of flat black to make them look like rubber, than probably a touch of drybrushing to make the edges look worn.

Not much else to report, mainly because I'm waiting on the grips and working on a Kylo Ren build.

Machined a recessed area into the activation box to make it look a bit more Graflex.

Also knocked down the polished aluminum on the main hilt to a nice brushed finish. I'll try and snap a photo of that soon.

Working on a bit of weathering as well.

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »

That's awesome Kouri Smiley.  Cool idea- looks amazing! 

znz212
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 16

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 07:18:50 PM »

That's looking amazing!
Also loving the hilarious sound font in the video.  Makes me wish I went with the full V4 sound board rather than the Lite on my first saber.

Finn 2.0
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 10:49:40 PM »

That saber is really cool and I was wondering if you could help me on some stuff before I jack up my saber.

Grey Owl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 81

We don't like Star Wars, we live for Star Wars.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 10:55:22 PM »

That saber is really cool and I was wondering if you could help me on some stuff before I jack up my saber.
Before further posting head over and acknowledge the rules in bi red bold letters.

Dark sentinel LE(blazing red)

Calculon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 435

We Will Win!

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 02:29:04 AM »

Excellent mod there and great job on the emitter! +1

The Wolfpack Lives!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: