Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Graflex Revamp - Tri-Cree FoC, Glass Eye. No Rattle, No Wobble  (Read 17157 times)
Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 03:49:34 PM »

That saber is really cool and I was wondering if you could help me on some stuff before I jack up my saber.

Perhaps. Go ahead and ask away~

Excellent mod there and great job on the emitter! +1

Thanks a bunch!

My parts order was delayed a bit, so I wound up machining my own pommel disc. Accidentally wound up slightly oversized, so rather than use a c-clip, I hammered it into place. A touch of glue to be safe, and then drilled and tapped some 6-32 threads and a discreet sound vent.

Once the kobold clip's installed, no visible sound hole:

Modified the glass eye for shine-through. Also cut two graflex slots by the slotted screw.

Rounded the shroud tip and cut another slot at the end.

Got the replacement grips in. Smoothed and repainted. Installed some 6-32 screws to resemble the rivets on the TFA model. Painted the clamp lines and gave the hilt a brushed finish. Replaced the covertech wheel with a black 8-32 button head screw.

Calculon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 435

We Will Win!

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 11:30:16 PM »

Nice job on the shine through. I wanna do that with a graflex knob or glass eye but I think the slightest bit of contact from sparring might explode my work.

The Wolfpack Lives!

Bulvoy
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 500

~Sipra Gehaz~ Rebel Legion "Ghost Base"

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 01:33:26 AM »

Very clean work with inovative ideas pt on the way

UltraSaber's by bulvoy, on Flickr
Menace - Emerald V4s- RavenSS pommel
Manticore V4s-CG- S /FOC-Renegade small pommel
Crimson Scorpion- V4s-BR- O/FOC
Dominix V3s-SRD
Initiate V4 Lite- VA
            "Im here to chew bubblegum & kick ass, and I'm all outta bubblegum"...

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 02:22:41 AM »

That looks super awesome. Really like the glass eye that has the shine through.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 05:52:19 AM »

Wow dude, all the way through epic job!  Love all those little details- really take it to next level. The slots n holes look phenomenal, as do the activation box and grip areas.  How'd you cut in those tiny graflex slots by the tip of emitter/ slotted screw etc?  Wicked job Smiley

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »

Looks great! Very nice job finishing the grips as well. They look much smoother than usual in that material.

I like the super low profile pommel better than I expected, and the machining around the emitter is a nice touch  Smiley

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 12:37:06 PM »

Nice job on the shine through. I wanna do that with a graflex knob or glass eye but I think the slightest bit of contact from sparring might explode my work.

After seeing how easily the glass eye was drilled through, I'm thinking it was never well suited as a structural piece anywho. All the other screws should keep this thing rock solid though. Every single emitter-end screw bites into the blade holder for support.

How'd you cut in those tiny graflex slots by the tip of emitter/ slotted screw etc?  Wicked job Smiley

Tiny drill bits, tiny needle files, huge amount of patience.

Looks great! Very nice job finishing the grips as well. They look much smoother than usual in that material.

Rustoleum Filler & Sanding Primer does wonders on SLS Nylon prints. Fills all the pores and sands smooth.

----------

Just a few more tweaks on this one. Going to further round the edges on the slide and beer tab to make this thing comfortable even with the greeblies. Also a bit more shaving on the activation box to help the AV Switch fit into the recess. Thinking I'll do another pass of brush on the hilt and skip the paint weathering.

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 12:42:56 PM »

Wow, i suspected as much but jeez!  thought maybe you knew about something i didn't cause thats some serious patience lol!  Great job.

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 03:33:51 AM »

AWESOME . . . not only does this look like an authentic Graflex, but it'll be rock solid for duelling . . . really like the brushed finish, I'll probably borrow that idea and do it on my own . . . points for the attention to detail Kouri . . . +1  Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 07:37:55 PM »

Brought the Graflex with me to MegaCon as a lend-out prop for photos with my Kylo Ren getup.

This one made me really glad I modified the Graflex button into a blade retention screw - didn't have any tools on me:

EDIT: Also, it was a bit too quiet at the con, so I'm looking into putting some more sound vents into the pommel. I'll report back shortly.

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »

That looks like was such a blast!!  Everyone looks great, as do the sabers Smiley

Calculon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 435

We Will Win!

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 12:37:17 AM »

Brought the Graflex with me to MegaCon as a lend-out prop for photos with my Kylo Ren getup.

This one made me really glad I modified the Graflex button into a blade retention screw - didn't have any tools on me:

EDIT: Also, it was a bit too quiet at the con, so I'm looking into putting some more sound vents into the pommel. I'll report back shortly.

Have you by any chance tried a bass speaker yet? Thinking about doing that to my Ov3 but I just dont have the time at the moment.

Also did you drill through the original glass eye knob/screw? What size was that bit?!?

The Wolfpack Lives!

Gamble
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -254

Evil Only Has One Face

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 03:05:38 AM »

Love the modification you made that little extra go's along way real sweet good job

Guardian CE W/Obsidian V4 - Guardian Blue
Prophecy V3 W/Obsidian Lite - Arctic Blue
Consular W/Obsidian V4 - Consular Green
Sentinel V4 W/Windows Stunt - Fire Orange

Bulvoy
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 500

~Sipra Gehaz~ Rebel Legion "Ghost Base"

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 03:30:35 PM »

love that picture still, Instant Classic

UltraSaber's by bulvoy, on Flickr
Menace - Emerald V4s- RavenSS pommel
Manticore V4s-CG- S /FOC-Renegade small pommel
Crimson Scorpion- V4s-BR- O/FOC
Dominix V3s-SRD
Initiate V4 Lite- VA
            "Im here to chew bubblegum & kick ass, and I'm all outta bubblegum"...

Kouri
Knight Commander

Artisan

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 12:32:37 AM »

Haven't taken the time to pop a bass speaker in this one.  Glass eye hole started with a 1/16" drill bit, then up to a 5/64". A 3/32" would probably work, but I didn't want to risk drilling into the threads.

Anywho, finally made time to finish mods on this build. Button completed. Brass pins glued in place. Light weathering. Machined my own Graflex-inspired blade plug.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: