Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian Soundboard Not Connecting  (Read 12325 times)
DeathAlchemist94
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: May 14, 2016, 10:28:26 PM »

I just got my first Emerald saber with a v3 Obsidian soundboard the other day and I can't seem to get the soundboard to connect.  My computer makes the connection sound when I plug it in, but keeps saying that it doesn't recognize the device.  I've tried unplugging the device and plugging it back in again like the tutorial videos suggest, but that doesn't seem to work.  Is anyone else having this problem besides me? How the heck to you fix this?

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 02:03:26 AM »

Are you certain that you're plugged into the correct mini USB?

There are two.  One for your emerald driver, and one for the obsidian.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 03:04:31 PM »

Have you turned your saber on before connecting? If not, you need to remove the "Unknown Device" from the Device Manager, turn your saber on and then connect it again. Never plug it in when it's turned off, otherwise you'll get that error message of a device not being recognized.

Also, are you using Win 8 or Win 10? If yes, try a USB 2.0 hub and/or a USB 2.0 port. Both OS are known to have severe issues when specifically recognizing the Obsidian sound boards, the Emerald Driver works fine.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 03:05:12 PM »

Are you using USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?   Also which operating system?

The Obsidian Launcher has some issues with USB 3.0 and Windows 8 and Windows 10.    It seems to work better using USB 2.0

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

DeathAlchemist94
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 07:38:35 PM »

I only ever plug in my saber when it's turned on.  I've tried every USB port I have with no luck and my OS is Windows 10.  And I'm pretty sure I'm plugging into the right port. 

darkshow13
Force Sensitive

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 02:37:36 AM »

Hey all I was having the same problem, one lightsaber would work but the other would not connect.

what I did was plug the lightsaber into the usb port
turn on your launcher then hit connect
after you do that hit the button of your lightsaber it should connect it worked for me

Mikesaus
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 05:30:38 AM »

Have you turned your saber on before connecting? If not, you need to remove the "Unknown Device" from the Device Manager, turn your saber on and then connect it again. Never plug it in when it's turned off, otherwise you'll get that error message of a device not being recognized.

Also, are you using Win 8 or Win 10? If yes, try a USB 2.0 hub and/or a USB 2.0 port. Both OS are known to have severe issues when specifically recognizing the Obsidian sound boards, the Emerald Driver works fine.

I am having the same problem. (Windows 8.1) The device appears in device manager as an unknown HID input device. I removed the device from windows, powered on the saber and reconnected, but it just reinstalled the same HID driver. I can't find any .inf files in the application folder to reinstall the driver, which would be the ideal way to fix this problem. Anyone have any other advice? The emerald board is working great, but I really need to connect to the sound board to change the sensitivity and timings. I just got this today, and they set the sensitivity so low it takes a really strong knock to make it clash.

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 09:05:45 PM »

These were the workarounds working for most users. If that doesn't work for you, then there's another problem which hasn't been solved so far Undecided As mentioned, any OS from Win 8 on has severe issues recognizing or connecting to the Obsidian board...

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Mikesaus
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 11:10:17 PM »

After a lot of trial and error last night, I was able to get my sound board connected.
I found a program called 'USBDeview' http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
I ran it and could see a live display as I plugged and unplugged the board.
Once I had identified the device (I saw it show up with a purple dot, because it was unidentified)
I right-clicked and selected 'uninstall selected device'.
I found I had to repeat the process for each port where i had previously plugged in the board.
I verified that as I removed each of these, the device enumeration info was being removed from the Windows registry.
(I won't go into how to do that, because it shouldn't be necessary for this to work, and identifying the correct registry
keys would be completely different on just about any computer)
Once I had removed all of these, with the US Launcher running and the saber powered on, I hit 'connect'.... No luck.
But then I unplugged the saber and plugged it into a different port, and suddenly like magic, it connected!
I was able to download the settings from the sound board, change settings, and upload back to the board.

Later after I unplugged and tried out my saber, I noticed something odd though.
The Episode III sound scheme had disappeared from the board. It was 2am, and I needed sleep.

Today, I plugged the sound board back in while powered up, and again the Launcher failed to connect. *grumble*
BUT, I pulled the cable and plugged it into one of the other USB ports, and then the launcher connected.
The device shows up in USBDeview as device name 'Light Saber'.  I can deal with having to plug/unplug it in order
to get it to work, just as long as I can connect!

I hope this info helps anyone else who has the same problem. Hopefully, the guys who produce the board will one
day release a device inf file to be used for manual driver installation.

Mikesaus
Force Sensitive

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 12:44:12 AM »

Ack! A little more experience with this, and I find that EVERY TIME I unplug the sound board I have to go through a ritual of plug/unplug/uninstall device before the launcher will recognize it.
Things that MUST be in place:
The saber MUST be powered on.
The launcher MUST be running, and seems like you must have pressed 'Connect'.
The USB cable MUST be plugged/unplugged alternatively into two different ports.
It appears that I MUST use the USBDeview program to uninstall the faulty driver when it fails.

This really really looks to me like the application is fighting with Windows for the device. My guess is that usually Windows wins and installs its drivers, and at other times the launcher wins and gains control of the device, but since it doesn't appear to use a standard Windows Driver Model to communicate, it has to go through this process every time.  This should be  a priority for the software developers to fix, as Microsoft is NEVER going to change the way this works, and they'll find more and more customers are unable to connect to their sound boards.

SaberCheeze
Force Sensitive

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 04:17:49 AM »

I too just upgraded to a pair of Dark Apprentice sabers and I'm having trouble with the editor. 

Here's my setup:

Windows 10
Obsidian firmware updated on one, not the other
editor version 1.04

I've checked in the device manager and yes, the problem is the faulty driver.  Windows stopped allowing drivers that either unsigned or with errors to run; so there's something that's catching the problem.

When I FIRST plugged in my saber I was able to edit things, but the second time it never connected - no matter the port I tried.  Same with my other saber, wouldn't connect.

So the issue here is a driver one, and the solution is to get an actual driver from someone. 

So..... hey ultrasabers people!!!  Where can we get a driver!?  Wink

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »

The Driver used is a simple Windows HID Driver. Only the Diamond board uses a 3rd party driver. So my suggestion is uninstalling the device (not the launcher) and going through the connection process again. That should reinstall the driver. I'm using Win 10 as well, and I haven't encountered that problem yet...

Sig by Master Nero

mynd
Force Sensitive

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 08:55:21 AM »

I'm on windows 10 and having the one and done problem with connecting my old Emerald/Obsidian saber combo where it loaded fine once and now won't work.  Ordered in 2014.  The support for the Emerald Driver in the newest launcher is a little buggy but sound will not work.  I've done everything suggested in this thread removing drivers etc.

This is really ticking me off.  This is also after I made a recent purchase where I had a couple small issues with the 600$ saber I just bought; customer service didn't even acknowledge the email sent Tuesday of last week while questions regarding my order before I placed it were answered in less than an hour.

I get these sabers are awesome for the most part, both in tech and design quality, but jeezes customer support and support for their Obsidian/Emerald boards could be a lot better.  I remember back to 2014 having issues with connecting the sound board to my windows XP machine.

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 02:00:37 AM »

Had this problem over the weekend tried installing the http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html but didn't really work for me.  However I did find a quick and easy work around is to restart your computer with your lightsaber on and plugged into the USB, and then quickly open the US launcher before Windows can settle and starts reaching out its grubby hands to try and interfere with communication between the saber and the US launcher aka the mothership of sound awesomeness.  Wink

After that everything was normal.  I could disconnect, reconnect, change fonts, etc. without Windows trying to setup the saber as an unrecognized USB and blocking the communication with the US launcher.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 10:05:19 PM »

Crud.. thought I'd get answers.
I just got my Graflex in the mail, with an obsidian lite sound board, but when I turned it on, no sound! Flash on clash, everything works, but no sound

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: