Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Down
Author Topic: What's the difference between the Blade types? What's the best blade type?  (Read 882807 times)
Draddog
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 36

« Reply #435 on: August 12, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »

I'm digging around but not finding an answer - sorry if this has been answered before and I missed it. Does anyone know the weight bearing capacity of the various blades?

I'm asking because I've been looking for a saber cane - I'm on crutches now, but expect to be off them soon (surgery). I'll still need some help getting around for a few months. I saw another company made them but they have a huge build time (like months).

Someone on Reddit posted how she is using a Ultrasabers Brood Guard LE for a similar purpose. I suspect she is lighter than I am (I'm just over 210lbs). It's a super elegant concept though - I really like it! 

Wolf Knight
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #436 on: January 14, 2019, 05:58:57 AM »

Thank you for the info mate. I have been trying to find some info about the Heavy Grade vs UltraEdge Heavy Grade for a while now. I'm wanting to do the Fire Orange and was gonna do the UE until I read this post. Glad I found this otherwise I could have ended up not getting quite what I wanted.

Technology Nut Hardware & Software (Might as well be borg)
Video Games
Anime
Marvel
Hunter
Grease Monkey
You name it, I probably have my nose in it.

BionicDance
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #437 on: May 20, 2019, 09:11:22 PM »

I'm really, really close to buying my first saber, and blade choice is my very last hurdle.
But I'm looking at the OP, and I'm just not sure. I want the best balance between durability and brightness, and...I'm just not sure.

MY CRITERIA[/b]
- I've decided on an RGBW Diamond Saber
- The color I most want to use is a kind of amber orange (I know this sounds kind of funny, but picture old monochrome PC monitors from the early 80s; that color); I'm getting the Diamond specifically for that hue customization (well, that, and I'm an animator, and making some of those FX will be awesome; I have this great idea for ignition...)
- I have every intention of joining a local lightsaber club and dueling; I have no idea how hard-core that gets, not yet. Durability matters to me, though
- As I said, I'm an animator; aesthetics matter. I want a bright blade; that's important

With those in mind, drawing a Venn Diagram around those criteria, what will best accomplish my goal? It sounds like Ultraedge Mid Grade is my best bet, or possibly just Heavy Grade (non-Ultraedge).
I don't really know what the weight difference is; the site says Ultraedge is twice as heavy, but...twice as heavy as what? (If it helps, I have an old ForceFX saber for comparison.)
I don't really know what the difference in brightness will really be like; I've seen pics and video, but they're all really inaccurate (cuz light+camera is always a bit of a crapshoot).

Help me out, here? Thanks. Smiley

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #438 on: May 20, 2019, 09:44:01 PM »

I'm really, really close to buying my first saber, and blade choice is my very last hurdle.
But I'm looking at the OP, and I'm just not sure. I want the best balance between durability and brightness, and...I'm just not sure.

MY CRITERIA
- The color I most want to use is a kind of amber orange (I know this sounds kind of funny, but picture old monochrome PC monitors from the early 80s; that color); I'm getting the Diamond specifically for that hue customization (well, that, and I'm an animator, and making some of those FX will be awesome; I have this great idea for ignition...)
- I have every intention of joining a local lightsaber club and dueling; I have no idea how hard-core that gets, not yet. Durability matters to me, though
- As I said, I'm an animator; aesthetics matter. I want a bright blade; that's important

With those in mind, drawing a Venn Diagram around those criteria, what will best accomplish my goal? It sounds like Ultraedge Mid Grade is my best bet, or possibly just Heavy Grade (non-Ultraedge).
I don't really know what the weight difference is; the site says Ultraedge is twice as heavy, but...twice as heavy as what? (If it helps, I have an old ForceFX saber for comparison.)
I don't really know what the difference in brightness will really be like; I've seen pics and video, but they're all really inaccurate (cuz light+camera is always a bit of a crapshoot).

My 36" Ultra Edge Heavy Grade (UEHG) blade weighs 9.2 oz (or 261g) according to the kitchen scale, so a standard blade should be around 4.6 oz (or 130g), so we really aren't talking about much difference in weight.

Because I'm such a klutz, I would recommend the HG blade (just in case) since you're going to be sparring, but what about this?  Buy one regular blade and one standard HG blade.  An extra blade isn't THAT much extra money, especially if you buy it at the same time you buy your saber, because that way you'll only have to pay shipping once (and the shipping for the blades is what's so dang high, because they're so long).

Note that I have a grand total of ONE saber, and I've never done anything with it except pose and pretend to "flow" with it in the privacy of my back yard.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #439 on: May 20, 2019, 09:58:14 PM »

MY CRITERIA[/b]

I'd recommend getting your saber with a standard blade and ordering a dueling blade (HG) to use when you duel.   Keep the mid-grade blade for spinning (non-contact) and display, as even a good HG blade will get marked up from dueling and will eventually look rough.   So keep the mid-grade nice and pristine and use it for display and cosplay, and use the HG for the real dueling.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #440 on: June 08, 2019, 03:15:47 PM »

Reposting from the thread where somebody asked about what color his unlit UE blade should be.  I dd some science with my HG and my UEMG blades on a Violet and Red saber.

I didn't have time/room that night to get a full length shot (it was rainy outside and I prefer to not show off random portions of my home)

in the nonUE shots, I can see the edging of the tube, UE obviously does its job of filling out to the edge.

I don't know about the primary vs. secondary color and UE that Deep preferred.  BUT, I like the fullness of the blade for the purple.  Whereas on the Red, the UE looks too soft/cartoony, whereas on the nonUE, it's sharper, varied and a bit more evil looking.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #441 on: June 10, 2019, 07:00:05 AM »

janx, I'm not fussing I am just curious as to why, but for some reason every picture you post comes up for me as a broken link.   If I copy and paste the URL from the embedded code I can see it just fine.  I am flommoxed.  :-/   I think from comments I see most others are seeing them.

Anyone have any ideas why?   Anyone else having issues like this?  OR is it is just me?   LOL

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #442 on: June 10, 2019, 08:36:15 AM »

janx, I'm not fussing I am just curious as to why, but for some reason every picture you post comes up for me as a broken link.   If I copy and paste the URL from the embedded code I can see it just fine.  I am flommoxed.  :-/   I think from comments I see most others are seeing them.

Anyone have any ideas why?   Anyone else having issues like this?  OR is it is just me?   LOL

I dunno. I'm using Twitter (saw somebody else say they use that).  Simply right-clicked Copy Image Address and pasted it here.  I've previewed every post with images to make sure they took.

very strange.

New thought, I'd bet money the twitter links are HTTPS.  And this site is HTTP only.  If you ever got a prompt for "this site is mixing secure and non-secure content" or some such and you said "Disallow" then your browser is aborting any download of secure content.  That would give you the broken links.

S2mikey
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #443 on: August 21, 2019, 03:04:55 PM »

So far, my favorite blade for looks and usability is the UltraEdge Midgrade in the 32" size.  My AEON L4 has the standard mid grade blade in Fire Orange and while it is very bright I dont think it looks as "real" as the UE-Mid blad.  I dont care for how the standard blade makes it  fairly easy to see the rolled up cellophane/whatever.  The silver appearence isnt as nice as the white polycarbonate look of the UE-Mid.  The UE-Mid in Gaurdian blue is majestic..... its so bright, beautiful and uniform, even before it gets fully dark out.  I find 32" the perfect blade size for almost any application but of course others will have different needs/requirements.

So, IMO, UE-Midrange is the way to go!!!  My next Saber(still deciding will be in Violet Amethyst with the UE-Mid blade.

AEON L4, Tri-Cree Fire orange
Archon 2.1, Tri-Cree Gaurdian Blue
Dark Sentinel L4 - Tri-Cree Consular Green, Green AV switch
Initiate V3, Catalyst Pommel, Violet, AV switch

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #444 on: August 22, 2019, 07:36:24 PM »

So far, my favorite blade for looks and usability is the UltraEdge Midgrade in the 32" size.  My AEON L4 has the standard mid grade blade in Fire Orange and while it is very bright I dont think it looks as "real" as the UE-Mid blad.  I dont care for how the standard blade makes it  fairly easy to see the rolled up cellophane/whatever.  The silver appearence isnt as nice as the white polycarbonate look of the UE-Mid.  The UE-Mid in Gaurdian blue is majestic..... its so bright, beautiful and uniform, even before it gets fully dark out.  I find 32" the perfect blade size for almost any application but of course others will have different needs/requirements.

So, IMO, UE-Midrange is the way to go!!!  My next Saber(still deciding will be in Violet Amethyst with the UE-Mid blade.

I hear you, but for my money, I still favor the HG blades, simply because I know I'm a klutz, and I feel that I would be prone to swinging too hard when dueling, and might damage the blade.  Of course, buying a few Grab Bag blades (which are a REALLY good deal, IMHO) to keep as spares reduces that risk, but I'm willing to shell out the extra money for the upgrade when buying a saber, just to add that extra bit of mental comfort.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

BenA718
Force Sensitive

« Reply #445 on: September 07, 2019, 05:20:33 PM »

This thread was very helpful, thanks. Going with HGUE for my first saber!

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #446 on: September 08, 2019, 09:02:07 AM »

Heavy grade, is thick clear PVC with illuminating film inside. The film illuminates and the thick clear wall of the blade  does not. The effect is, a blade that appears thin and very, very bright.  Without the power on, the blade appears silver because of the film.

The heavy grade ultra edge blade appears white when the power is off. It is just as thick as the regular heavy grade blade. Both are great for dueling or sparring.  The ultra edge blade however, to my eye, illuminates with color better. The white in the PVC or the coating inside, I don't know what they use, but it illuminates everything.  You do not see a thin film surrounded by clear blade. The whole blade is lit.

I feel I'm failing with this explanation.

One is a clear light bulb. You can see the filament inside light up.

The other is a white light bulb. You don't see the filament.  You just see light emitting from the edge of the bulb itself.

Mid grade blades are the same just thinner PVC.  So they might be brighter but I can't tell.  You stare at the blades and let me know if you see a difference!! Heavy or mid. Ultra of regular.  Both are personal preference  honestly.  I always get heavy grade myself.  The other is dependent on the hilt.

Makubex
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

тнərə ιѕ no darĸ ѕιdə, nor lιgнт ѕιdə.

« Reply #447 on: November 03, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »

Alrighty!!! Now.... schools in session! I actually had the same questions.. but the furthering searches and the further I read people kept saying personal preference because of comments here and there.... now don’t get me wrong... but personal preference is everything.. it’s what makes our sabers ours. Now onto specifics the mid grade blades are less thick than the heavy grades which are apparently double the thickness... I remember seeing a measurement analysis of it but can’t remember where it was.... now the sacrifice is honestly dependant on everything regardless of it being ultra edge mid grade and mid grade... the reason I’m saying this is because... 1.are you going to use rgbw or rgb or tri Cree? Out of all the forums and forum posts I’ve read (not saying I’ve read every single one of them) when they’ve mentioned their preference they only mention uehg uemidgrade mid grade or heavy grade... but non of their opinions ever mentioned if they’re using rgbw rgb tri Cree... which in my opinion just killed the whole “based on preference” so.... I dug even further and even made a post and I finally remembered a year ago when I first joined the community back when I was just getting into saber combat there was a person who goes by the name Darth Cephelus who when I was searching for the best company to buy sabers from (we all know ultra sabers is Dope and I can say that with confidence cause i researches this for months before my accident) and I remembered a YT vid he had made about blades.. now since I mentioned you’re going for an rgbw ( I concur on this pick btw since I’m going for orange yellow myself)
From Deep’s explanation on white’s and non.... and with Darth Cephelus’s explanation... I realized you could counter the dimming effect a ueHg blade did to regular rgb and single led sabers.... and a few other things you can do by going regular mid or Hg and still get the effects of a fully emitted blade.. without needing to go UE... this would benefit those who went rgb and or single LED for their selections.... so in reality if ur going tri Cree and u don’t mind sacrificing FoC that would be the most notable brightest selection u could go with but as u mentioned ur on rgbw which is awesome on its own as well especially cause of the extra white colour glow potential to help penetrate through. Now if my explanation is incorrect in anyway please correct me I might have repeated myself a lot but my final words are since u went rgbw and if ur not scared of doing some grime work on the blade when u get it I’d go reg HG and put some elbow power into it since regardless of ur getting a HG ur gunna wanna clash sabers and wear and tear does happen anyways make it worth the effects.... now if ur going for just fools play and light choreographed sessions and for pictures and videos go with uemg but as I said if u wanna put some elbow power into this get a mg just a mg a few tricks and I can get an even brighter colour shown through with the effects of uemg without sacrificing any light loss...... hope this helps... if you’re confused in anyways just send me a pm or anyone for that matter even for debates I love those! It’s how we learn... and also Credits to Darth Cephelus and Deep for very informative information and reviews! I wouldn’t have been able to figure this out myself otherwise! Cheers! And MTFBWY!

Ps. Sorry if I rambled and or w.e didn’t make sense or other things it’s 5:40am >.>

4Drumz
Force Sensitive

« Reply #448 on: December 23, 2019, 07:05:01 AM »

Hey Guys - brand new here.  Looking to get my first UltraSaber.  I'm looking at the Black GrandMaster saber with Diamond RGBW controller with an UEHG blade, but I was curious if I purchase an extra UEMG blade if I can switch them out for sparing/showing?  I am still not sure if I'm going with the grandmaster, or the Fallen combat ready yet either.  With the sale they have going, it seems like a good time to purchase my first!  Thanks for any help/advice you can provide!

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #449 on: December 23, 2019, 09:54:12 AM »

Hey Guys - brand new here.  Looking to get my first UltraSaber.  I'm looking at the Black GrandMaster saber with Diamond RGBW controller with an UEHG blade, but I was curious if I purchase an extra UEMG blade if I can switch them out for sparing/showing?  I am still not sure if I'm going with the grandmaster, or the Fallen combat ready yet either.  With the sale they have going, it seems like a good time to purchase my first!  Thanks for any help/advice you can provide!

Switching blades is no problem at all. They are secured with one or two retentionscrews. You just need the right sized imbus (just order one with the blade, 1USD is really not the big investment and it always helps to have a spare). Switching blades is then done in less then a minute. I don't know wich color your lightsaber will be, but the general opinion is that reds and oranges look great with standard blades and the other ones with Ultraedges. I'm a big fan of the heavygrades for the simple fact that I'm always worried to brake a blade during spinning and with sparring you definately want a heavy grade.

Have fun with your new saber, enjoy and welcome to the addiction!

Pictures and video's of your new saber are much appreciated!

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: