Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Device not connected - Tried EVERYTHING :-(  (Read 9484 times)
PhoenixRising
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 3

« on: May 20, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »

Hi guys!

So I just got my new sabers.....and they're awesome.

But I have a small problem connecting the Obsidian board to my PC - 'Device not connected'.
I went through the forums for a solution, and I tried litterally everything.
Installed Launcher in admin mode.
Upgraded in admin mode.
Powered on saber and running launcher in admin mode, before connecting the USB.
Tried 3 different cables, in multiple USB ports.
Tried putting a USB hub in between.

But all in vain.
Board works fine with the preinstalled sounds, but I still can't connect to my PC and mess around with new fonts.

Any feedback is appreciated.
I'm running Windows 10.

You don't need to see my identification.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »

Have you tried turning on the saber, than plugging in, before starting the launcher?

Are you using a USB 2.0 cable and port (or hub)?

Have you tried running the program as the admin but just as a regular program?

I will assume you are using the correct Mini-USB port.  Sabers with Obsidian and Emerald have two ports, but without the Emerald it has just one.  Not sure what you have aside from a saber with an Obsidian.

Windows 10 has some issues and issues with USB 3.0 (both the ports and the cables).

Admittedly I don't use the Obsidian board all that much.  I mess with the Emerald a lot.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

PhoenixRising
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 02:27:56 PM »

Have you tried turning on the saber, than plugging in, before starting the launcher?
Are you using a USB 2.0 cable and port (or hub)?
Have you tried running the program as the admin but just as a regular program?
I will assume you are using the correct Mini-USB port.  Sabers with Obsidian and Emerald have two ports, but without the Emerald it has just one.  Not sure what you have aside from a saber with an Obsidian.
Windows 10 has some issues and issues with USB 3.0 (both the ports and the cables).
Admittedly I don't use the Obsidian board all that much.  I mess with the Emerald a lot.

It' an emerald saber with Obsidian 1.4.
I'm using USB 2.0, and get the same result with or without a hub.
And I run all my programs as admin.

I can connect to the Emerald driver no problem, and mess around with colours and pulse/FoC timings, but connecting to the Emerald doesn't allow me to change sound fonts.
So I figured I had to connect to the soundboard, because that kinda makes sense.

When I do, I hear the USB device connection sound windows is playing, but the launcher still says no device is connected.
Though it turns up in my device list as 'Lightsaber'
If I check the properties, Windows just gives me an error code 10 - Device cannot start.
Removing and reinstalling the device driver (standard windows driver I pressume), makes no difference.

Do I need specific driver from UltraSabers?
There is nothing on the forums or the website indicating that I need anything but the Launcher tool.

EDIT: Okay, I finally got it working......sort of...

I changed compatibility settings for the Launcher to Win 7 - though I'm not sure that's what did it.
What I did was let Windows determine what was wrong, using the serach for solutions provided by MS, and let the OS replace the driver, instead of doing it manually.

I let Windows 10 replace the driver and restart my system, and then it connected no problem.
But theres a big but in there.....

Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable from the Obsidian, will still give an error 10 code.
I will have to let windows replace the driver and restart my system EVERY TIME i want to connect to the Obsidian and change stuff.
Not very handy for messing with the thresholds for motion and impact, to suit my fighting style and movements :-(

By far, not a desireable soultion, but it gets the job done - provided I have the patience to go throgh the process every time I want to mess around.

I will be keeping my eye on the forums for a more sustainable solution, hoping to catch a workaround that is more acceptable.

You don't need to see my identification.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 09:00:19 AM »

Least you found a way to do it.  I've not messed with my soundboard much so I don't know if I have issues with it and Windows 10.  It seemed to work last time I tried to look at it, but honestly I've been having more fun playing with the Emerald driver.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 09:14:54 AM »

Hey PhoenixRising,

If you open the launcher software without a saber, and click "about", there's a couple of contact emails you might try.  One's US's and one's the software maker's.

I run WIN10, and have no issues.  Huh

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

CraigN471
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 04:15:02 PM »

I'm having a similar issue. My Ultrasaber Guardian with Obsidian V4 connected perfectly on the first try, disconnected it when I was done seeing how everything worked. Then tried to plug it in again later when I got some sound fonts I wanted to load in, and nothing. Nothing would connect. I would hear the bloop sound when a USB device was connected but nothing would come up. I've tried everything mentioned above (even tried the Windows 7 compatibility) and they won't see each other, but the Emerald Driver connects just fine :\

In Device Manager all i see show up is USB Input Device with a little (!) next to it, and says device could not be started. Tried every manner of uninstalling the USB device, reinstalling the Obsidian Software, trying other USB ports (both 3.0 and 2.0) and trying to let Windows sort out the error (told Windows to update the driver and it said "This is the latest driver")

I'm also on Windows 10  Angry  Embarrassed  Cry

ithekro
Knight Commander

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 06:44:39 AM »

Use USB 2.0 ports and cables.

Make sure you are plugging into the Obsidian's Mini-USB port instead of the Emerald's port.  They are not connected to each other.

Follow procedures.

I don't have as much experience with the Obsidian as I usually only play around with the Emerald driver for the colors.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Jukken
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 07:03:58 AM »

I get the same thing on two of my computers. (the new ones). Get the "connected sound" from windows, then nothing. The device manager says "Error code 10".
If I plug it into an old computer, it workes.

Same OS on all three (Win 10).
Does not matter if it's plugged into USB3 or USB2 ports.

The only real difference is - the old computer does not support usb3 at all.

Seems a serious software/driver bug related to usb.

Valefor
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 09:30:45 PM »

Was there ever resolution to this? I don't see a reliable solution here.

I have the same issue.

Specs:
windows 10
V3 Obsidian board
Using USB2.0

Issue: It plugs in, computer knows in devices it's called "Lightsaber" but says it has no driver and cannot be recognized.

No known solution, even after searching.

Has anyone had this issue, and if so, what is the solution?

arrScott
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 19

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 10:41:41 PM »

I'm in the same boat (April 2020): New Obsidian saber, can't get it to connect to either a Win10 or older Win7 device. Two different laptops of varying age. Not showing up as a Device on either computer with or without the Launcher. Tried to connect with a Mac, no results. There's only one microUSB port on the board, so it's not a sound vs LED issue. Tried running the Launcher in compatibility mode back to Win7. I don't think the Launcher is an issue; the saber just isn't showing up as a device to any computer. I've tried every variation on the order of opening the app, powering on the saber, connecting the saber to the computer. Nada in all combinations. I've tried following every suggested solution in multiple threads here with no result.

I really only need/want to connect once; the Default font's LED settings are not what I ordered, so I'd like to tweak them. Once that's done, there's a decent chance I'd never connect or try to make changes again.

Any ideas for how to connect my saber to any computer?

arrScott
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 19

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 03:38:35 PM »

Reading my own post made me realize the one variable I hadn't tried testing: The cable. Grabbed a different USB cable (from my Sphero BB-8 - gotta keep it in the Star Wars family) and bam, I'm in business on Win10.

general_Mada
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 04:49:44 AM »

I'm in the same boat (April 2020): New Obsidian saber, can't get it to connect to either a Win10 or older Win7 device. Two different laptops of varying age. Not showing up as a Device on either computer with or without the Launcher. Tried to connect with a Mac, no results. There's only one microUSB port on the board, so it's not a sound vs LED issue. Tried running the Launcher in compatibility mode back to Win7. I don't think the Launcher is an issue; the saber just isn't showing up as a device to any computer. I've tried every variation on the order of opening the app, powering on the saber, connecting the saber to the computer. Nada in all combinations. I've tried following every suggested solution in multiple threads here with no result.

I really only need/want to connect once; the Default font's LED settings are not what I ordered, so I'd like to tweak them. Once that's done, there's a decent chance I'd never connect or try to make changes again.

Any ideas for how to connect my saber to any computer?

i know you said youve tried every way. this is how ive gotten it to work if you havent already found a solution:
1 close obsidian launcher and unplug saber
2 turn on saber
3 plug in saber while on
4 open obsidian launcher
maby youve tried this way if not hopefully this helps
may the force be with you

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: