Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: A New Mask, A New Start  (Read 4166 times)
cujoe_da_man
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 34

« on: May 27, 2016, 03:46:02 AM »

Please check out my old thread here for my first mask construction, I didn't want to necro such an old thread:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=27938.msg412915#msg412915

SO!  It came time to finally admit that the chrome face plate just wasn't going to work the way I wanted.  I'm really bummed too, 'cause I looooved the solid chrome look, but the mask (being from a Halloween store) was just too flimsy to make me feel comfortable that it would last and the fog issue. 

Yes, the fog, blah.  I wear glasses, it's a fact of my life.  I can't stand using simple eye drops, so the thought of contacts makes me cringe, what's a Jedi to do?  Put on a mask!  The biggest issue of all was fogging, even if I could get the mask to stop fogging, my glasses would.  I thought about putting fans in, but that is just more weight and the noise was an issue, it's not like Stormtrooper and Vader helms where the thick plastic and padding hide the noise well.

I had gotten wind of a type of mask I had never thought of, airsoft masks!  These things are frickin' awesome!  So many styles, colors and sooo inexpensive.  Long story short, after months of waiting, a USA seller got this particular mask in and a month after that, put them on sale for a measly $56.

This is the "prototype" stage, using the existing crown I had made for the chrome mask, I modified it to fit the new mask and used a new hood to cover over it.  The hood is held on by the same hardware used to attach the crown to the mask, so it's a permanent placement.  Later I will be making a new hood, one without red and larger in the back so it is easier to slip on, this one is pretty much a place holder:

Showing the inside of the mask with the modified crown.  The original crown had a strip of aluminum running all the way to my chin to help support the old chrome face plate, no problem with this new fiberglass mask.  The strip was cut and used as a cross-member to give more lateral support.  Needless to say, this new setup feels like a motorcycle helmet.  This pic is actually slightly older than my current setup, the foam is now down on the brow/cross-member to protect my noggin from that little screw in the center.  I am using the existing hardware that was there to hold the mask's original head strap on with some washers on the inside and rubber washers on the outside to aid in keeping the metal from gouging the fiberglass and paint:

The crown detached from the mask for painting.  This shows a bit more detail on how I put it together.  This is modified from my old setup, so some of the hardware you see here is actually unnecessary, but since it held together so well, I just left it.  I would have used rivets, but I may be adding some things later, also they don't seem to touch the mask, so that's not a bad thing.  This also shows the padding in the new position for my forehead:

And the current state of the mask itself, currently drying after a fresh coat of paint, though not the last.  I primed the entire outside, then masked off the vent to keep it black and blasted the entire thing again with Rust-oleum 'oil rubbed bronze'.  You can almost make out the little metal flakes in the paint.  Tomorrow will be a new coat of 'flat antique nickle' which will also have a similar metal flake on the upper and front portion of the mask, the raised areas.  The lower "chin" will be left darker.  Then probably a matte clear coat after that:

The best part of this?  No fogging!  Also, it's so much more sturdy now, I mean the mask itself is supposed to take direct hits from airsoft guns, so I don't have to worry about any major damage from light use.  Are there some things I would do different?  Heck yes, the crow would be completely redesigned to fit the new mask, but since I had it done already, I was able to make it work.  For now, it's still in the construction stage, but as I said to a friend of mine (before painting), I could put on my outfit and don my mask and be perfectly happy with it!

I am a grey Jedi.
My passions are a part of me,
but they do not control me.
Domination can be broken.
Serenity can be a lie.
Knowledge gives me strength,
but power can be a weakness.
Peace and chaos gives me harmony,
Through balance I gain victory.
There is no Light or Dark,
There is only the Force.
Do not try to sway me or you will feel my wrath.
---
My Collection:
Dark Mantis - Violet Amethyst, Obsidian V3
Initiate V4 - Adegan Silver, Obsidian V4
Dark Sentinel V4 - Adegan Silver, Obsidian Lite
Initiate V2 - Fire Orange, Stunt Saber

Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1453

Ki tsimsima tuti mazo Galactic, Nu qorit dudnims!

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 08:08:52 AM »

Parodija! Cheesy
(Impressive!)

cujoe_da_man
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 34

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 11:51:02 PM »

More painting, lots and lots of nooks to tape up, but I have to if I want it to look good!  It's still a similar paint job as the original, except the silver is a bit darker and I used Rust-oleum 'flat antique nickle', leaving a nice contrast to the 'oil rubbed bronze' of the lower portion.  Also masked off the mesh and the small little detail areas on either side of the mesh, still have some minor touch-up work to do, but overall, it's turning out nice.  I also left it black inside the recessed area around the mesh as well.  This should help with any glare from the sun.  Now all that's left is to get some clear-coat on it to seal it and begin working on a new hood!

I am a grey Jedi.
My passions are a part of me,
but they do not control me.
Domination can be broken.
Serenity can be a lie.
Knowledge gives me strength,
but power can be a weakness.
Peace and chaos gives me harmony,
Through balance I gain victory.
There is no Light or Dark,
There is only the Force.
Do not try to sway me or you will feel my wrath.
---
My Collection:
Dark Mantis - Violet Amethyst, Obsidian V3
Initiate V4 - Adegan Silver, Obsidian V4
Dark Sentinel V4 - Adegan Silver, Obsidian Lite
Initiate V2 - Fire Orange, Stunt Saber

zuka213
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 74

May the Force be With You

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 01:33:46 AM »

veryy cool!

Light Side points plx
Cheesy

GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 05:58:08 AM »

I really like the look of this mask!!

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »

That is one damn fine mask? Totally bad-ass. Point to you

Calculon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 435

We Will Win!

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 08:10:28 PM »

Great mod of that mask! +1

The Wolfpack Lives!

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 04:11:48 AM »

I like what you did with the mask!

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 10:25:46 PM »

I know kind of an old post but seriously cool mask Tongue Where did you get it from or is it original made? Think of the design though. Kind of reminds me of The Day The Earth Stood Still robot alien sort of

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 03:05:33 AM »

Liking the look of this

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: