Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Standard issue battle saber from grab bag w/ customization  (Read 5043 times)
JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« on: January 15, 2011, 07:56:26 AM »

I got my two grab bag sabers and my new phantom saberstaff today.

First off, let me review the unaltered Standard Issue. As seems to be standard on ultrasabers, the balance is forward of the hilt, even with the hilt made of metal! I can't imagine why this is. The appearancei s quite attractive though, and it has a solid grip. The LED and ultra edge are as bright as ever and I like the green color. The button is nicely recessed so it wont accidentally get pressed. It's very sturdy and seems given to customization. I have to say I'm not fond of the screw they put in it, I much prefer the ones with the grip that you can do manually rather than the recessed ones, but for the price it was well worth it, and certainly worth it to pay the extra into the grab bag to make sure I got a metal saber.

I wasnt sure what I'd do with them, except that I was going to put the green Luxeon from this one into my Luke ROTJ. I found that the standard issue had a slanted emitter, which I never knew and found to be a very cool touch. I'd been wanting to try to craft an Anakin and Mace Windu model, so I got down to business. I gutted the metal saber hilt and put the green luxeon into my Luke, which was complicated (more on this later) I then tore a blue luxeon out of an old plastic hilted ultrasaber initiate I bought used. I inserted the blue bulb, and then, due to the beveled emitter, decided this thing wanted to be an Anakin saber.

I found a little plastic box thingy and cut off the top and two of the sides making a U shape. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the U and then put the piece, with the two sides sticking up, over the retention screw, gluing it in place and making it so the retention screw could go in through the U piece. I added a gold button, a black button, and I had a pretty fair approximation of Anakin's saber, except for the insulating grips on the end of the hilt. For this I found an ingenious solution: I bought black zip ties (2 bucks for a bag of like, 30) and cut them to the proper length. I put 3 of them together in a pyramid, glued them like that, and then attached six of these around the end of the hilt. You could try these in different patterns on your own saber.

So there's my review, my photos will come in tomorrow and I can't wait to show them off, though I don't have any of the completed customization.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:30:31 AM by JdiKnhtJMH » Logged

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Lord_BoOgEyMaN
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -23

The Sith Shall Rise again!

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:02:04 AM »

Cant Wait to see pictures Cheesy

Dark Initiate V2 (2) Blazing red

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »

Sounds like a wicked sweet fan-custom anikan! Can we call it the fanikan? lol Sorry, that just popped into my head and I had to say it. I would love to see pics of the finished custom though, it sounds very cool!

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:18:02 AM »

Heres the pic of my customized Anakin version standard issue:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 09:21:19 AM »

I like it! It's just Anikan enough to be worn with an Anikan costume and fit, and just unique enough that it really works for an original saber design as well! I'd venture to say this looks very plausible as something Ani might have had between Eps 1 and 2. Excellent Work!

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 08:18:38 PM »

Many thanks. I think it came out really well too, and it;ll be a great battle replacement for my friend's wounded Anikan Force FX.

zach skywalker
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »

I am customizing my prophecy so it looks like anakins from AOTC. Yours looks pretty cool nice job.

Yoda"Try not do or do not"
Luke"You want the imposible"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: