Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Tabletop Roleplaying Games??  (Read 5687 times)
Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 07:59:43 PM »

I've tried lots of different ones but my current favorite is Heroscape. I got introduced two years ago when my best friend moved in. He lied to me to convince me to play it too. I've had some memorable games with my  group which has changed in the past two years. At first it was me, my firend and his step-dad. Then the girl he has a crush on started playing too and then she moved out of state. My dad started playing and it was hilarious how. The girl my friend had a crush on convinced him and here's the joke. My dad wouldn't play for two years and then he started playing when a pretty 20 year old girl asked him to(He's 43 btw). So yeah it's just my friend, his step dad, me, and my dad(Who hasn't been playing much lately). But yeah that's about it. So...

Never play with member of my family ... but i imagine my dad frighten me for gaining advantage during the game lol

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 08:02:05 PM »

Well, he DID almost do the tableflip rage quit....

Oh, this is one of my favorite sessions. Not one I was in, but it's still funny as hell.

Is this a chat from a virtual table?

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »

The D6 version is fantastic but it has a major cons (for me): In this version, Jedi are too powerful compare to other characters ...

"But who's gonna fly that ship, kid? You?" Wink

Actually a jedi is always way more powerful in one-to-one comparison to non-force users. I think it was the video games's tradition to nerf them down for gaming purposes otherwise any game gets seriously imbalanced.
And still, Luke Skywalker had been rescued several times by force insensitive friends before he made his big shot Smiley

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 08:34:07 PM »

Actually a jedi is always way more powerful in one-to-one comparison to non-force users. I think it was the video games's tradition to nerf them down for gaming purposes otherwise any game gets seriously imbalanced.
And still, Luke Skywalker had been rescued several times by force insensitive friends before he made his big shot Smiley

Jedi have to be powerful!!! But with the D6 version, Order 66 would never happened Smiley

Maybe it was because of our GM but when we played D6 version, Jedi characters were so powerful that we usually plot against them  Grin

TheDarkOpossum
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -94

A Sith with a heart of gold

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 09:42:41 PM »

I never played to Pathfinder but i discovered the D20 system with Star Wars Saga Edition ... I think i would love it. In fact, we will make a try with D&D 3.5 this summer ... and i have understood that it is D20 system ... So, maybe i will have a taste of what Pathfinder is.

You are correct, Pathfinder is a D20 system. The rules are maybe somewhere between AD&D 3.5-4, and the world in which is set borrows a great deal from D&D. Personally, I have come to prefer Pathfinder for a number of reasons -- the improvement of some rules over AD&D (while still being similar enough to jump right into), the expanded range of character classes (particularly the hybrid classes outlined in the Advanced Class Guide), easy access to rules via the website and apps (like PFRPG rd) to name a few.

The campaigns you play in Pathfinder are official ones or home made ones?

We play almost exclusively in homebrew worlds. A couple of our GMs are pretty talented writers, so world-building and storytelling are things they greatly enjoy. Some of the encounters may be pulled/adapted from official campaigns, but those are pretty few and far between.

Cosplayer, Ecdysiast, and Variety Arts Performer
Tabletop Roleplayer for Life

Dark Apprentice v4 Staff - Violet Amethyst - Dahkali Vlakuhs (Twilight)/Clirnye'ata (Serenity)
Emerald Dark War Glaive - Dark Violet Amethyst x2 - The Doom Stick (working title)
Obsidian Consular - Consular Green/Adegan Silver FOC - Raffle Prize

Wishlist:
Catalyst, Chosen One CE, Archon v3.1, Raven

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 08:02:33 AM »

You are correct, Pathfinder is a D20 system. The rules are maybe somewhere between AD&D 3.5-4, and the world in which is set borrows a great deal from D&D. Personally, I have come to prefer Pathfinder for a number of reasons -- the improvement of some rules over AD&D (while still being similar enough to jump right into), the expanded range of character classes (particularly the hybrid classes outlined in the Advanced Class Guide), easy access to rules via the website and apps (like PFRPG rd) to name a few.

An apps with the rules??? Really??? Smiley
After this story about virtual tables, i understand that i am older that i hoped to be lol

We play almost exclusively in homebrew worlds. A couple of our GMs are pretty talented writers, so world-building and storytelling are things they greatly enjoy. Some of the encounters may be pulled/adapted from official campaigns, but those are pretty few and far between.

Here to, we all created our own world for campaign ... but sometimes, within a set of homemade scenarios, we put official ones ...

For example, i finished my last campaign with Labyrinth of Madness ... a very fun scenario made for the 20th anniversary of TSR Wink

Grey Owl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 81

We don't like Star Wars, we live for Star Wars.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 07:55:24 PM »

We should start a thread for character advice. For example, I have a knight that specializes in _____, and has a _____ personality, and I can't think of a name. Or naming abilities on characters.

Dark sentinel LE(blazing red)

Grey Owl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 81

We don't like Star Wars, we live for Star Wars.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 07:56:21 PM »

This is true. Jedi are ALWAYS really powerful.

Dark sentinel LE(blazing red)

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 06:34:16 PM »

Ok ... the next RPG Week End will be next WE (a long one in France because of the 14th) ...

And it will be a very old school AD&D Wink

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2016, 03:17:56 PM »

I was just telling Darth Nonymous earlier that I've always wanted to play D&D (or another tabletop RPG), but never gotten the chance.  Never knew anyone who played when I was younger, and nowadays I can't seem to get any friends interested!  I think they're all deterred by the negative stigma or something.

One day... one day I'll play a game, somehow!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2016, 10:22:23 PM »

I was just telling Darth Nonymous earlier that I've always wanted to play D&D (or another tabletop RPG), but never gotten the chance.  Never knew anyone who played when I was younger, and nowadays I can't seem to get any friends interested!  I think they're all deterred by the negative stigma or something.

One day... one day I'll play a game, somehow!

I do not know in the US or other countries but here, in the 90's and early 2000, we had so many TV shows explaining, with MANY experts point of view, that if you play to table top RPG, you will lose your friends, your life, your futures ... you will abandon your studies and become some kind of serial killer ...

... I never understood why there is such a hate for RPG and RPG players ...

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2016, 10:29:04 PM »

I do not know in the US or other countries but here, in the 90's and early 2000, we had so many TV shows explaining, with MANY experts point of view, that if you play to table top RPG, you will lose your friends, your life, your futures ... you will abandon your studies and become some kind of serial killer ...

It comes from a long, LONG line of thinking that was a convergence of Christian beliefs when it came out that "DnD = Satanism" because of the demon and magic aspects coupled with a desire to place the blame for crimes on anything except the actual perpetrator. Basically, gamers were just the next iteration of "the Devil made me do it" crowd, and people just ate it up. After all, it makes sense to place the blame on something otherworldly, otherwise people are faced with the idea that some people are just born bad and also faced with the question of whether or not THEY were born bad.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2016, 10:54:22 PM »

It's just the general lack of knowledge about a subject what usually ends up in being afraid of something one does not understand.
The 1980-90s was an era in which the "typical" parents had the obsession of controlling the kids by the illusion of knowing what's right or wrong (it's still an issue in some households I hear Tongue) and playing tabletop RPG could have fallen into the judgement somewhere between "terribly wrong" and "dangerous". Sitting in a candle lit room with a book in the middle of it with a big pentagram on the hardcover had already been a bad first impression and when the DM (that's me) waved with his hands chanting magic words did not help either. That was the scene when my step-cousin's mother breached the door on us.
The DM's magic worked because my step-cousin's mother ran out with a powerful counter-mantra, something like "ohmygod-ohmygod" and returned with a strong backup of other adult-pretenders of the family, they harshly switched the main roomlight on and stood there demading answers of what "cult" we were part of and since when.

So the environment became pretty hostile which left us not much room to excercise our creativity on how to explain this game in two, possibly three words thoroughly because that was the time frame given by their gestures.
I grabbed the book and handed it over to the leader of the adult pack and said: "Have a look inside and see for yourself. It's a game of imagination."
The Force had duties elsewhere that day - she opened the book up randomly and had a shock. The random page showed a drawing of a witch-like sorcerer and described the spell "rotting the tongue" in great detail.

I still don't think of this day as the biggest victory in my life but at least I could introduce the game to my step-cousin and another friend. Although the game was over for a good while for this little group, we went on a year later when those parents of my mates had other thing to afraid of. And pretty good sessions we've played! Smiley

So overall it was a witch-hunt in the media as I remember and I'm still amazed how terrified "people in charge" can be when they see others' mind wandering uncontrolled and misunderstood.
Don't give up, Master Nero, it can be a lovely new colour in the rainbow to try and play it!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2016, 09:34:55 AM »

I tried "the one ring" this summer ... as a player

Of course, it takes place in the Middle Earth like old games like MERP or Rolemaster Wink It is very interesting as the rules are based on how player deals with the fellowship of characters ...

And we started a Star Wars D6 campaign ... After years of playing the Saga version, it was a real pleasure to play D6 again ... i have forgotten ;p

gpm
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 03:20:12 PM »

Just read "Empire of Imagination"  A biography about Gary Gygax it goes over pretty well the madness of the early and late 80's.  I was a player in that time period glad it's gone.  I still don't like Tom Hanks because of his role in Mazes and Monsters.  Thankfully my parents though worried let us play.  Still playing 34 years later with mostly the same guys. 
Ever wanna talk AD&D I'm always available. 

For the Light
Archon v2.1 C.G.
Initiate v3 A.S.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: