Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: What's your favourite fighter jet of all time?  (Read 18261 times)
Darth Acervus
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -248

6 movies & Rogue one. That's all folks....

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2016, 02:30:20 PM »

Got excited when I saw thread(dont know a great deal of tech/stat) but do know what I like

Hawker Siddely HARRIER "Jump Jet" V/STOL
saw one take off do its thing then land at an airshow when I was a kid wow.

Sorry Im gonna mention 2 prop planes too .Legends

Supermarine SPITFIRE

Hawker HURRICANE

Without the crazy brave men who flew these two planes, I would probably be speaking German now.
& Who knows the plot from the excellent " Man in the high castle" could be a partial (exclude the alternate realities) or completely true state of afairs.

Makes me very proud of those few men to which I owe so much Cry

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2016, 04:21:19 PM »

Got excited when I saw thread(dont know a great deal of tech/stat) but do know what I like

Hawker Siddely HARRIER "Jump Jet" V/STOL
saw one take off do its thing then land at an airshow when I was a kid wow.

Sorry Im gonna mention 2 prop planes too .Legends

Supermarine SPITFIRE

Hawker HURRICANE

Without the crazy brave men who flew these two planes, I would probably be speaking German now.
& Who knows the plot from the excellent " Man in the high castle" could be a partial (exclude the alternate realities) or completely true state of afairs.

Makes me very proud of those few men to which I owe so much Cry

Basically made my post for me here!
Only things I would add really is the Avro Lancaster (Always loved watching those things fly over Ladybower with the Spitfires) and the Vulcan.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2016, 05:04:34 PM »

Hi all, I am very lucky in that my uncle was an RAF fire fighter and I had strong links with RAF Binbrook. I got to see the last ever airshow at Binbrook and saw 9 of these Mach 2 capable planes perform an aerobatic display, the aircraft was the BAC EE Lightning. It was the first fully British designed and built Mach 2 fighter interceptor. It was capable of climbing vertically (90deg) to over 30,000 in less than 2 mins and once buzzed a couple of F-15's in a climb in full reheat. The F-15 pilots thought it was a missile or UFO initially, the Lightning just continued climbing like a homesick angel. Here it is..

The job these aircraft did is now the responsibility of this next plane seen displaying with a Spitfire (I was at the show!) and this is the Eurofighter Typhoon. Capable of Supercruise (mach 1+ without afterburners) this aircraft is designed to be unstable to give it amazing agility. The picture proves this as the Typhoon pilot had to fly the display with the Spitfire, at or close to it's own stall speed on some passes and to maintain formation.

And apologies if this is taking up too much room but I know you guys like action pics, here is Typhoon at the top of a loop!

Hope you like these. I was fortunate to have seen all three in real life.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2016, 05:10:47 PM »

I wish this thread wasn't limited to fighter craft, otherwise I'd post a pic of my second favorite aircraft of all time, after the A-10.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 05:19:07 PM »

Well JM you can still tell us what it is, I think that would still be in the spirit of the thread.
Oh and someone mentioned the A-10 minigun, here it is. I just had to dig it out of my files.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 05:34:04 PM »

Screw it...

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2016, 05:38:48 PM »

I'm not going to argue with that plane. I think it's nickname was "Puff The Magic Dragon" due to the flame and smoke it produced. You could argue it is a Legend* (prop aircraft) aircraft I suppose, there has been a P-51 listed!

* The C-130 Hercules this is built from first flew 23rd August 1954!

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2016, 05:52:50 PM »

I'm not going to argue with that plane. I think it's nickname was "Puff The Magic Dragon" due to the flame and smoke it produced. You could argue it is a Legend* (prop aircraft) aircraft I suppose, there has been a P-51 listed!

* The C-130 Hercules this is built from first flew 23rd August 1954!

Actually, the plane dubbed Puff The Magic Dragon was a modified C-47 Skytrain, first deployed in Vietnam. The C-130 was later adapted with the same general idea.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2016, 06:02:23 PM »

Actually, the plane dubbed Puff The Magic Dragon was a modified C-47 Skytrain, first deployed in Vietnam. The C-130 was later adapted with the same general idea.

My mistake, they were mentioned in the same article I read and I must have mixed them up. I just remember they had a similar effect on the enemy.

Have a point for correcting my info!

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Grey Knight

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2016, 10:36:21 PM »

I wish this thread wasn't limited to fighter craft, otherwise I'd post a pic of my second favorite aircraft of all time, after the A-10.

Yeah, theres me posting about Lancasters and Vulcans.... ooops!

sorry Smiley

Word to the wise... dont google image search 'Liberator' without safe search on... lol

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2016, 12:41:02 AM »

Avro's Lancaster:

Avro's Vulcan:

Two awesome planes!  Grin

Let's not forget the CF-100 "Canuck" though:

I sat in one. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Grey Knight

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »

That CF-100 is an interesting looking beast, don't think I've seen one of those before.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2016, 03:58:27 PM »

They have that exact black one on display at The Warplane Heritage Museum:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEnEpMWTGoI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEnEpMWTGoI</a>

I sat in the cockpit a few years back. Smiley

Big plane.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Darth Acervus
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -248

6 movies & Rogue one. That's all folks....

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2016, 06:08:30 PM »

Avro's Lancaster:

Avro's Vulcan:

Two awesome planes!  Grin

Let's not forget the CF-100 "Canuck" though:

I sat in one. Smiley

I Had the great Pleasure of sitting in the cockpit of the Vulcan at Newark(UK) Air Museum many Years back & saw originals photos of its final landing there. Wow, what a Plane. Delta-wings will make a comeback I think. Not as bombers or fighters though but as Space-planes or suborbital travel if the tech keeps improving(TBH havnt even thought about most of this stuff for years but loved it when I was younger)

Ah but back on topic how about the good "old" tornado sorry no pic havnt time at mo Smiley  

Stuff at Newark Air Museum
 <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O1hS319IUwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2016, 07:05:13 PM »

Well, you see, somebody made this really large gun and didn't know what to do with it.  So somebody else made this really awesome plane around said gun....and the A-10 was born.   

The most phenomenal sound ever is the sound of a A-10 firing off that gun.    AWESOME!!!

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: