Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: The First Avenger - A Drahcir Custom Saber  (Read 11684 times)
Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« on: June 27, 2016, 04:30:41 AM »

“Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say.
Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right.

This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences.
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world --
"No, YOU move.”

I've had this hilt planned for a long time, a really long time.
I've wanted to do more themed hilts for a while - the first of which being the Tinkerbell Jedi hilt I did a while back.
I'm a huge fan of Marvel and the Avengers - the characters are so rich a perfect for crossing with Star Wars.
Originally, I had thought Iron Man would be the perfect choice.
After some consideration and private discussion, I decided the first avenger, Captain America, called to be a Jedi.

I wanted this hilt to be special.
I considered hand-making some detailed pieces, but instead saw an opportunity for collaboration with our resident 3D printing genius - Sedstiskyfaller.
Before we see the final product I just want to say Sedsti is amazing to work with. I came to him with my crazy ideas and what I needed made and he had it all created within a day.
I ordered plastic pieces to test fit before I ordered the final Nickel Steel pieces and I couldn't be happier with the end results.

So without further ado, I present to you Captain America's Lightsaber:

The pictures speak for themselves, but I thought I'd highlight some aspects.

The paint is a textured navy blue designed to mimic a tactical grip and has a chipped weathering much like what is seen on Mandalorian armor.

The emitter is obviously representative of Cap's Shield and the 3D printed blade plug with clear star insert is a great addition.
I originally envisioned a solid metal plug, but the clear insert fitting into the metal piece was suggested by Sedsti and I couldn't be happier with it.

The Metal "A" is one of my favorite touches and is a clear call out to the character.

I had Sedsti create a shroud that could fit around the switch that mimics Cap's shield and I think it turned out great.
You may notice I reversed the red and silver pattern on that piece - I wanted the red on this hilt to be at a minimum as the movie suits (excluding the first Avengers movie suit) use red minimally and I like the look of it.

The weathered leather grip is a call out to Cap's WWII suit and I'm extremely happy with it.
You may notice that it's capped off with a metal ring - the last piece I had Sedsti make me.
It slides over the end of the leather grip securing it in place and adding an extra layer of durability - I may actually use that ring and others on more hilts in the future.

Overall I'm really happy with how this turned out and I look forward to reading everyone's feedback.
Ultimately I'd love for other people in this customs section to create their own hilts inspired by the Avengers - it'd be fun to get a whole team of hilts created.
Just a thought.

(I didn't proofread this as my first attempt at this post got destroyed by a summer storm cutting power - hopefully it's not too bad)
 Wink

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 06:16:07 AM »

WHOA!  Holy smokes!  Drahcir you've outdone yourself on this one man-  the second I looked at the pics I could tell it was a labour of love.  Love the plug, think was right call on that one it looks STELLAR with the illumination.  All the little details like the trim ring and shroud are wicked- especially the A!  That's beyond cool.  The whole emitter section is just gorgeous too.  Incredible work Smiley.

Really cool idea too- hmmm... Def gets my gears spinning...

Kai-Yen
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 123

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 06:31:33 AM »

Awesome Sauce ........!

K

Sabers Owned:  Azure Reaper (AB), Crimson Reaper (AS), Apprentice (BH).

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 08:00:47 AM »

Being a little familiar with Cap and also enjoying the recent films I will say that what stands out to me is that this lightsaber feels! like it's from 1944 and has been through a few years of war.  I love that.

I chose this pic because the weathering above the beautiful "A" is such a nice touch.

The grip and the emitter Shocked . . . SO well done!

This is special Smiley  

I feel your pain about loosing the post(sucks!) so thanks for powering through to share this.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Bulvoy
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 500

~Sipra Gehaz~ Rebel Legion "Ghost Base"

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 12:35:30 PM »

Lots to say.. the Entire piece is Tastefully done, Very aesthetically pleasing. The paint scheme  I feel is Truly on point from color to wear. , creative shield incorporation on that plug.
                  Kudos on the weather leather grip. Aside from the ' A ' ,  I think my favorite feature  is the way the clear plastic  A insert generates a subtle glow into the shield plug. Professional Cross- over Creation.+ a few for this. You should submit a picture of this as a fan cross-over creation to marvel just for fun. Funny you mentioned cross over Avenger themed hilts, when i look at the Scorpion it screams Iron-man, with come mechanical mods & an open crystal chamber added
I wanted this hilt to be special.
I considered hand-making some detailed pieces, but instead saw an opportunity for collaboration with our resident 3D printing genius - Sedstiskyfaller.
Before we see the final product I just want to say Sedsti is amazing to work with. I came to him with my crazy ideas and what I needed made and he had it all created within a day.
I ordered plastic pieces to test fit before I ordered the final Nickel Steel pieces and I couldn't be happier with the end results.
              It's Defiantly special something to be remembered,  110% Agreed on working with Sedsti, I too have had the pleasure of collaboration with him on a spec-metal printed pommel he knocked outta the park for me, for an upcoming project, He's a pleasure to work with.

UltraSaber's by bulvoy, on Flickr
Menace - Emerald V4s- RavenSS pommel
Manticore V4s-CG- S /FOC-Renegade small pommel
Crimson Scorpion- V4s-BR- O/FOC
Dominix V3s-SRD
Initiate V4 Lite- VA
            "Im here to chew bubblegum & kick ass, and I'm all outta bubblegum"...

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »

Awesome!  The Shock choice did turn out to be perfect . . . . love it!

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 01:55:56 PM »

Wow, dude.  Just wow.  Seriously.  Your work is just so incredibly amazing and it was great that Sedstiskyfaller helped you put some great character parts on it.  I only wish I could give you more than one karma point right now.  (I'll have to come back later and hit it at least once more Wink)

The idea of mixing superheroes and Jedi is perfect and, if you want a person who embodies what the Jedi are all about, you couldn't pick a better character than Captain America.  CA is all about service to his country.  He puts the needs of others before his own and is willing to put his life on the line for others. He doesn't use violence as a first resort, it's what he uses when other options fail him.  He's incredibly humble.  Change "his country" to "the Republic" and that's the description of a Jedi.

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 03:09:25 PM »

I appreciate the kind words! The vision behind this saber is a testament to Drahcir's talent and the crossover fits so well with the Shock.

This is such an amazing hilt, I barely have words to describe how great it is! I was so pleased Drahcir included me in this project as it was super fun to work on the pieces for. Thinking about the potential of what this could be at the time was exciting and he certainly did not disappoint!  Shocked

Drahcir did a beautiful job bringing this saber into the WWII era with all of Cap's charm and patriotism. The paint job and leather grip are outstandingly melded into the core of this saber design. The metal cap ring for the grip was a great idea on Drahcir's part, and he did a great job blending it into the form factor of the hilt and making it look so natural.

It was chance timing that I was just working on my own two-part blade plugs with the clear inserts at the time that we were able to add that as a feature to this saber  Smiley  The shield inspired paint job on the emitter came out great and was the perfect idea to make the top of the emitter into.

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 07:33:09 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Like I said, I'm super happy with how this one turned out.
The Shock's simplistic and functional design screamed Cap to me.

I'm curious if you all think other hilts scream any other characters.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 08:15:35 PM »

That is just amazing looking. I really love that color blue. Works better for the theme than a bright one would.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 09:19:36 PM »

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 09:24:25 PM »

Now that you say that...I'm getting a strong Black Panther vibe from the Dark Mantis hilt, with clawed emitter of course  Roll Eyes

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 09:42:56 PM »

So in terms of other ideas -  I've actually known he was doing this for a while because I mentioned a similar idea I had; I've delayed my Build a bit because I really want to do it right and that means buying some additional stuff after I finish up & sell my current project . . .

I don't want to give that one away just yet (and the other one I'm doing after that) but I had this thought:

If you take one of the Claws off this guy so you have 3 left . . .

It could make you think of . . .

Sed - I love that Black Panther thought!

And Drahc & Sed . . . I meant to say earlier, the A on there looks incredible!

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 09:51:54 PM »

If you take one of the Claws off this guy so you have 3 left . . .

It could make you think of . . .

That's a really interesting thought, I could see a pretty cool black/yellow or blue/yellow design with that hilt really easily.

Sedsti-

The Dark Mantis (or any Mantis depending on how much work you want to do) would be a really cool base.
It'd require a little thought to really represent the character, but that's half the fun.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 10:39:47 PM »

Dude, that is AWESOME!  Cap is my favorite Avenger and just overall favorite character.  :-)  To bad we'll never actually see him wield the saber, it would be radical.  Sword and shield!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: