Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Cultural Differences..  (Read 34147 times)
Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 163

« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2016, 02:18:30 PM »

Less than one month after the beginning of school year, kids are invited to birthday parties Wink

Here, birthday parties for young kids (less than 10) are usually at home and parents generally make a big cake and organise plenty of activities (game, artistic, cultural ...) for a complete afternoon. For example, last year, we put many protections in the living room and we gave paint to a band of 8 five year old girls ... apocalyptical  Grin

So, what about in your country? do you organise such afternoon for kid's birthday?

From my experience... Here in the USA, birthday parties are a regular occasion. But only people who you like are generally invited. I went to a couple of them and each seems to have a slightly different setting depending on the money involved with the planning.

For example, one I went to was held at home. The events included roller skating in their basement and outside games around their rather sizable yard.

Another I went to was held at a pizza restaurant with an arcade simmilar to 'Chuck E Cheeze'.

I grew up without a lot of money and my birthday being at the time of year it is... It's near a major holliday when people are expected to spend time with their families, so all of my parties were small family affairs.

I have but four enemies: Envy, Lust, Greed and Lethargy...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2016, 04:44:33 PM »

Here, after 10, they usually prefer going elsewhere than home (shopping, cinema, paint-ball ...)

Nothing says "Happy Birthday" like getting shot in the ass. Grin Tongue

I miss playing paint ball.

As far as the hunting thing goes, being from the Mid-West I have mixed feelings about it. I understand the need for hunting seasons for population controls. As Ron White pointed out, deer are not terribly intelligent, and frequently get into staring contests with moving cars. The results are costly and gruesome.

I can respect someone that hunts to hone tracking skills and actually eats what they kill. But those that go out just for the sake of being "manly"? No. You're just showing what a child you really are. (sorry for the vent)

As previously stated, I miss paint ball. I think the greatest thrill of it came from the hunt, but it also had the thrill of hunting something that was hunting you as well, and had the same tools for the jobs.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2016, 06:47:39 PM »

From my experience... Here in the USA, birthday parties are a regular occasion. But only people who you like are generally invited. I went to a couple of them and each seems to have a slightly different setting depending on the money involved with the planning.

For example, one I went to was held at home. The events included roller skating in their basement and outside games around their rather sizable yard.

Another I went to was held at a pizza restaurant with an arcade simmilar to 'Chuck E Cheeze'.

I grew up without a lot of money and my birthday being at the time of year it is... It's near a major holliday when people are expected to spend time with their families, so all of my parties were small family affairs.

Here, we tend to not put a lot of money in order to not make other parents uneasy because of money ...

As far as the hunting thing goes, being from the Mid-West I have mixed feelings about it. I understand the need for hunting seasons for population controls. As Ron White pointed out, deer are not terribly intelligent, and frequently get into staring contests with moving cars. The results are costly and gruesome.

I can respect someone that hunts to hone tracking skills and actually eats what they kill. But those that go out just for the sake of being "manly"? No. You're just showing what a child you really are. (sorry for the vent)

As previously stated, I miss paint ball. I think the greatest thrill of it came from the hunt, but it also had the thrill of hunting something that was hunting you as well, and had the same tools for the jobs.

Paint ball is one of my favorite hobby to Wink

Considering hunting, i do not hunt myself but i love eating euuuhhhh prey ? Quarry Huh (i do not know how to translate animals you hunt and you eat)

And i think the same ... hunting for eating is ok ... but hunting for killing is not something i love ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 163

« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2016, 07:50:23 PM »

Here, we tend to not put a lot of money in order to not make other parents uneasy because of money ...

I like this idea. Concerning birthdays, a lot of people I think over blow it here just to make a show of the idea 'OMG IT'S -insert child name here- BIRTHDAY'

I think it's foolish, but I understand that they want to make it "the best birthday possible."

I've never actually played paint ball. I've wanted to for some time though. Also the hunting thing... I agree totally. Grew up in the Mid-West and I've seen some things that, really, I thought were just disgraceful.

I have but four enemies: Envy, Lust, Greed and Lethargy...

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2016, 09:13:40 AM »

Maybe it is just the region I grew up in but I have never meet one hunter who does it to be "manly".  Food is always the top priority.  Even if you set off to get that monster buck you're still going to eat it. 

Considering hunting, i do not hunt myself but i love eating euuuhhhh prey ? Quarry Huh (i do not know how to translate animals you hunt and you eat)

And i think the same ... hunting for eating is ok ... but hunting for killing is not something i love ...

Game is the word I use.

As far as Birthdays, my experience is similar to what has been stated.  it depends on the money involved as well as child in question.  My birthday is in the summer so none of my parties were attended by kids from School (I honestly didn't know kid saw each other outside of school until I was 10)  it was always just my family.  Then as I got older it became less a party and more My mom made me a cake and I got a few presents in the mail.  Of course now as an Adult I hide from my birthday like a vampire from sunlight.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2016, 09:39:17 AM »

Game is the word I use.

Good to know

Point for participating to my education Wink

As far as Birthdays, my experience is similar to what has been stated.  it depends on the money involved as well as child in question.  My birthday is in the summer so none of my parties were attended by kids from School (I honestly didn't know kid saw each other outside of school until I was 10)  it was always just my family.  Then as I got older it became less a party and more My mom made me a cake and I got a few presents in the mail.  Of course now as an Adult I hide from my birthday like a vampire from sunlight.

There are only one school on our part of the city ... so school friends are the same than global friends for my kid

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2016, 07:46:54 PM »

Maybe it is just the region I grew up in but I have never meet one hunter who does it to be "manly".  Food is always the top priority.  Even if you set off to get that monster buck you're still going to eat it. 

If it's not a macho thing, then what is the drive to get the biggest one? ô¿o

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2016, 03:03:36 AM »

That isn't always the drive, especially depending on the season and Sex and weight limit.  But, it is a sense of accomplishment.  I never saw it as "Macho" since plenty of women from where I am from do the same thing.  Bigger bucks are the seasoned veterans most of the time, they are the most cautious and wary(even to the point of sending their Harems out first).  If you can bag one it is a source of pride for both men and women as a hunter.   But, even trophy hunters eat the deer. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2016, 04:16:10 AM »

Everyone is always chasing after the big bucks!  Tongue

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2016, 12:49:17 PM »

Bigger animal means more food from the same trip.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2016, 06:06:43 PM »

Bigger animal means more food from the same trip.

Still more looking to the wisdom of Mr. White. "It's dark. It's cold. And....I don't wanna go."

Sig by For Tyeth

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2016, 06:53:02 PM »

time for me to pipe up again.  Grin
the thought of bigger is better (more food) originated from Native hunting, the men went out in parties to hunt. it wasn't just to feed his family but the community as a whole. American hunting (to be specific) derives from that tradition even the original settlers had to learn from the local tribe how to hunt to begin with. (and farming) granted the tribes left nothing to waste and found a use for everything from the animal and add this day and age quite a few of the hunters donate their extra trophies to soup kitchens there are still many benefits left to hunting (nevermind the price of meat today) health wise wild game is considered to be healthier than store bought (way less fat)

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2016, 08:31:59 PM »

I do not know in your country but here, advertisement for perfume are always incomprehensible ...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »

I do not know in your country but here, advertisement for perfume are always incomprehensible ...

You mean like "if you buy our fragrance, the object of your desire will instantly fall into your arms" kinda BS?

Sig by For Tyeth

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2016, 08:56:07 PM »

It is more like "you watch a desert and you see a flower on a dune ... And a voice says : the new fragrance for men by Hermes ..."

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: